What's the deal with Rhiad & the bedouins?

Bumblefeet

I saw it played live in Belgium many a moon ago (see below), and enjoy it on CD, but I take it due to that intro synthy thing using an unauthorized sample it can't be played live anymore?

I say drop that intro (that wasn't even present on the demo version) and play the song again cause it's killer.

It wasn't dropped due to copyright or whatever... I bet it was dropped due to the challenging vocals. On a side note... this is what's passing for Guns N' Roses these days?

Then why didn't they perform it in Japan in 2009 (as they did basically every other song on CD)?

The lawsuit with Ulrich Schnauss' label was earlier in 2009...

http://stereogum.com/94131/axl_denies_ripping_off_ulrich_schnauss/video/

So IMO it was definitely dropped due to copyright.

Edited by Bumblefeet

It wasn't dropped due to copyright or whatever... I bet it was dropped due to the challenging vocals. On a side note... this is what's passing for Guns N' Roses these days?

Then why didn't they perform it in Japan in 2009 (as they did basically every other song on CD)?

The lawsuit with Ulrich Schnauss' label was earlier in 2009...

http://stereogum.com/94131/axl_denies_ripping_off_ulrich_schnauss/video/

So IMO it was definitely dropped due to copyright.

Yeah but then why can Slash VR Duff and Adler all play GNR songs, which are copyrighted by GNR. Why can GNR play all 15 of their covers. It's live, they can do anything live.

Really enjoyed the song since I heard one of the live recordings, I think it was from 1/1/01.

I asked bbf in one of his video chats and he put it down to the difficulty in vocals.

Thanks, that clears it up I guess. I do wonder how that case got settled. As the case was still ongoing when they started the 2009 tour I guess that's why they didn't perform it in Japan.

Anyway, it remains a good rocker!

Edited by Bumblefeet

Cool song. They don't play it because of the difficult vocals, I think.
As I remember Riad was in some recent setlists, If they can't play it because of the lawsuit, why would they would keep it on the tour setlist?

Edited by LuanVictorxD

Really enjoyed the song since I heard one of the live recordings, I think it was from 1/1/01.

I asked bbf in one of his video chats and he put it down to the difficulty in vocals.

Thanks, that clears it up I guess. I do wonder how that case got settled. As the case was still ongoing when they started the 2009 tour I guess that's why they didn't perform it in Japan.

Yeah I thought that the legal issue might have prevented them from playing the song as well. Even though they wouldn't need to reproduce the intro live, I thought the fact that there was an issue might have prevented them from airing it, in a similar way to how people aren't allowed to discuss issues under legal review.

Anyway, do you think Axl could pull it off with his current vocal approach? I think if they slow it down a little bit, and Axl doesn't do the ah-ah melody before the verses, maybe..

Probably because only 12 people actually like the song (six or seven of which have posted here).

Saw it performed in Detroit in 2002. Easily the worst received new song they played that night (mind you, most of the new stuff didn't go over great, probably didn't help they played them all in a row).

Significant low point on the album for me.

Probably because only 12 people actually like the song (six or seven of which have posted here).

Saw it performed in Detroit in 2002. Easily the worst received new song they played that night (mind you, most of the new stuff didn't go over great, probably didn't help they played them all in a row).

Significant low point on the album for me.

Appreciate your opinion but it's probably hard to absorb new songs being performed for the first time, as opposed to debuting a song live for the first time which has already been released in some form.

Edited by rhiad85

I don't think the lawsuit has anything to do with it - the song itself has been performed sans new intro back in 2002 and would be incredibly easy to just not do the intro.

The lawsuit has nothing to do with it being performed live

Well the lawsuit didn't come till 2009 (after CD had been released) and and I'm willing to bet that intro was done at a later stage of mixing as it didn't appear on the demo version (see instrumental earlier in this thread), which is why it would not be present in the 2002 live version. As for Rhiad being on recent setlists, to my knowledge it hasn't been played live after CD got released in 2008, let alone after 2002?

Edited by Bumblefeet

I don't think the lawsuit has anything to do with it - the song itself has been performed sans new intro back in 2002 and would be incredibly easy to just not do the intro.

The lawsuit has nothing to do with it being performed live

Well the lawsuit didn't come till 2009 (after CD had been released) and and I'm willing to bet that intro was done at a later stage of mixing as it didn't appear on the demo version (see instrumental earlier in this thread), which is why it would not be present in the 2002 live version. As for Rhiad being on recent setlists, to my knowledge it hasn't been played live after CD got released in 2008, let alone after 2002?

No but I think it might been in one of those setlists with the options that turns up from time to time, where people first knew about "The Seeker", "Going Down" etc.

this schnauss dude talks about the lawsuit here (according to this site, but you have to listen to the full thing....I'm too lazy to do that)

http://www.radioeins.de/programm/sendungen/elektro_beats/interviews/im_studio__ulrich0.html

Thanks! He answers it at 32 minutes in; He basically says he didn't know about it until he started to get wind of it via myspace; He then contacted his label to inform them and he says he isn't involved with the court case as he is no longer the rights holder of the two songs that were used in Rhiad's intro.

No but I think it might been in one of those setlists with the options that turns up from time to time, where people first knew about "The Seeker", "Going Down" etc.

Ok, well that's gives me at least some hope to see it return, though in all honesty I would want OMG as well :)

Edited by Bumblefeet

Yeah, no disagreement from me about "Oh My God" either, great song with alot of power but don't think any of the versions we have heard so far give it any justice; the soundtrack version is a little muddy and the instrumentation on the pro shot version from RIR isn't very well balanced.

One of my favorites from CD. I don't think they dropped it due to copyright though, they could've easily just skipped the intro like they used to. It was frist played in 2001, then played a few times in 2002, then not played at all on the 2006/2007 tour, which was before the copyright thing. I think maybe it's too difficult for Axl to sing or maybe it was just put on as a filler and he doesn't like performing it.