Can anybody do a good Axl impersonation?

Like, as in, on stage, singing...

I truly believe mine is the best, hands-down, no question... I would love to challenge anyone here.

I've thought this through: if someone else is up for it, you could record yourself actually singing/lip-synching/or just kind of singing over a GN'R song, any song in the catalog (or maybe even a cover like Rosie or Seeker or something [studio released covers like LALD, Heaven's, etc., are fine, too]). Then put it on YouTube so we can all watch. And also, since some of Axl's stage moves have changed significantly from the 90s to today, they could be marked 1 of 3 ways: Early, New, or Hybrid. Early could anytime during the 80s or 90s, New is from 2000 to today, and hybrid is a combination of both. And we could critique and vote based on things like, did the competitor indeed, do 90s-only? Did they truly do only new Axl in their performance? Did they even do a good job, or did it just suck? Stuff like that.

Mods, didn't know what section to put this in (sorry if in wrong spot).

Would anyone else be up for something like this? Should there be any other guidelines or criteria or anything that I'm forgetting?

Anyone is welcomed. Sabbath? Bacardi? Miser?

Edited by there is no dana only zool

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I showed up an hour late to my buddy's party the other night

That's the best I can do when it comes to impersonating Axl

haha this and shower reply.

Alright, I suppose I could go first. Would be sorta cool to know there were a few other people who wanted to do it too though haha. But ok. Will record in a few hours & post. All I have for wardrobe is Lesbian shirt but we're not judging on th

damnit, sorry, iPhone layout sucks for posting. But we're not judging in wardrobe anyway though, right? Maybe will just do it in underwear.

Welp, guess it's going off tonight! Seriously though, anyone else down?

My son does a good Axl impersanation. He can move like Axl and even sing. When he had his hair long and wore the sunglasses Axl wore in the 80's, he even looked like him a bit. Anyway, Axl is one of my son's idols and my wish is for one day, they could meet. He's met Steven Adler and got Slash's autograph personally to him through a friend, but never met Slash. He also has a friend who sometimes produces Izzy's records.

My son is young enough that maybe one day he will meet Axl Rose. I think that would be awesome for him.

The whole physical/visual aspect of the impression is a pretty brave thing to do. I'm not suggesting you save yourself the embarrassment and stick with a vocal recording, but I kind of feel obligated to make sure you've thought this through. This forum is filled with assholes (and I'm throwing myself into that category). Are you sure you want to give these guys and gals ammunition?

I think most people who've been a fan of Axl's for a long time and can sing likely can do a pretty decent impression. The key is being able to sing. There's nothing worse than when people try to sound like Axl but can't carry a tune. If you're not known as a good singer, I wouldn't advise doing this. Sounding like Axl doesn't mean you can sing like Axl.

Personally, I find it difficult to sing and not sound like Axl. He's had an indelible impression on my vocal style sing there's no other band that I sang along to more growing up than GNR. When I use to sing backup for my old band, the guys would get annoyed when I reverted back to my normal singing voice and began sounding like Axl. They only time they'd appreciate it is when I took over the mic for covers that suited it (CCR, AC/DC, GNR, Soundgarden, etc.).

Edited by downzy

My son does a good Axl impersanation. He can move like Axl and even sing. When he had his hair long and wore the sunglasses Axl wore in the 80's, he even looked like him a bit. Anyway, Axl is one of my son's idols and my wish is for one day, they could meet. He's met Steven Adler and got Slash's autograph personally to him through a friend, but never met Slash. He also has a friend who sometimes produces Izzy's records.

My son is young enough that maybe one day he will meet Axl Rose. I think that would be awesome for him.

This sounds more like your own dream rather than your son's.

Kinda creepy.

I'd like to see somebody sing like Axl for two hours, and then do it for another hour. If I do a GNR song I have to have a change of pace song after, just to keep a consistent vocal over the course of a two hour show, much less 3 hours. It's easier to sing high like Mark Slaughter (i dont like him either) than it is to sing like Axl. Plant is difficult to sustain as well as is Freddie. Those guys are who they are because they could do what most never could, much less do it for 3 hours!

I'd like to see somebody sing like Axl for two hours, and then do it for another hour. If I do a GNR song I have to have a change of pace song after, just to keep a consistent vocal over the course of a two hour show, much less 3 hours. It's easier to sing high like Mark Slaughter (i dont like him either) than it is to sing like Axl. Plant is difficult to sustain as well as is Freddie. Those guys are who they are because they could do what most never could, much less do it for 3 hours!

I kind of agree with this statement in the sense that it is difficult to sing like Axl (or Brian Johnson/Chris Cornell/Robert Plant, etc) for extended periods of time. But then again, it's their job to do so. If it was the only thing that I was responsible for then it shouldn't be too onerous to get my vocals in shape to accomplish the task. It's kind of like giving credit to celebrities for being in great shape. It's their fucking job; what else are they going to do with their time? It would be easy for me to be jacked as well if I had trainers and personal dieticians keeping me on track.

Trust me, you would be able to sing that long in that style if you worked on it every day. It wouldn't be easy and would take a lot of commitment, but it's not something only a few people can do if everyone were given the same opportunity.

I kind of agree with this statement in the sense that it is difficult to sing like Axl (or Brian Johnson/Chris Cornell/Robert Plant, etc) for extended periods of time. But then again, it's their job to do so. If it was the only thing that I was responsible for then it shouldn't be too onerous to get my vocals in shape to accomplish the task. It's kind of like giving credit to celebrities for being in great shape. It's their fucking job; what else are they going to do with their time? It would be easy for me to be jacked as well if I had trainers and personal dieticians keeping me on track.

Trust me, you would be able to sing that long in that style if you worked on it every day. It wouldn't be easy and would take a lot of commitment, but it's not something only a few people can do if everyone were given the same opportunity.

I did work on it everyday, lol. There's a lot of people here who have heard me sing, I can cover Axl, Freddie, Plant, The great Shannon Hoon, Mark Slaughter, A pretty good variety of vocalist, just can't sustain Axl for two hours straight. And my voice is in shape, for 41

Fair enough... At the same time, it's not as though Axl is constantly singing for two/three hours straight. He's taking breaks, mixing in easier songs, working with top of the line vocal coaches. I know when I'm singing a lot (which has been awhile) I can do at least a couple of hours in an Axl style of voice if I'm taking a minute or two break between each song. But if it's been awhile, I'm done after two, maybe three songs.

Fair enough... At the same time, it's not as though Axl is constantly singing for two/three hours straight. He's taking breaks, mixing in easier songs, working with top of the line vocal coaches. I know when I'm singing a lot (which has been awhile) I can do at least a couple of hours in an Axl style of voice if I'm taking a minute or two break between each song. But if it's been awhile, I'm done after two, maybe three songs.

This!.......Axl vocal style and range is certainly taxing bit lets not exaggerate he does not sing for 2-3 hours straight with all the breaks and solos in NuGun's shows..........

The whole physical/visual aspect of the impression is a pretty brave thing to do. I'm not suggesting you save yourself the embarrassment and stick with a vocal recording, but I kind of feel obligated to make sure you've thought this through. This forum is filled with assholes (and I'm throwing myself into that category). Are you sure you want to give these guys and gals ammunition?

The problem with what you're saying is that it implies that the impression would be criticized in a negative manner. That's LOL-worthy to me because this impression is flawless and therefore unable to be criticized.... at all...

Hahahaha no no i'm kiddng. But no i mean like, i don't care haha. And also, I probably should have been a bit clearer in that I (and hopefully anyone else who'd like to join in, too; fuck haha...) am not attempting to try and sing like Axl. I cannot sing for the life of me and sound like diarrhea. What I'm trying to see is if, along with myself, anyone else can do a mean Axl impression, stage-move-wise. As in like, you know, "snake dance," other stuff (never seen a name for anything else he does).

So yeah, that.

Also that is kind of you to issue a warning to me. Honestly appreciate that lol :D

Edited by there is no dana only zool