Disney Star Wars: Yay or Nay?

Some Star Wars fans such as myself are happy that we're getting new films that have little input from George Lucas and instead have a lot of input from JJ Abrams (an A-game director) and Michael Ardnt, Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg (A-game writers). Fans such as myself are also happy of the fact that Disney is in charge now considering they do a pretty good job with their other properties.

With that being said, other fans are extremely upset that Disney is cancelling all of the current Star Wars projects that were going on before the deal was closed such as the 3D re-releases, the Clone Wars cartoon show, the comedy cartoon Detours and the videogames First Assualt, 13:13 and possibly BattleFront 3 as well as the entire LucasArts videogame division. Their's also the inevitable fact that decades of books and comics and even some videogames that take place after the first six films are about to become non-canon.

I don't know if any of you are Star Wars fans, but where do you stand in all this? I support the upcoming Disney films cause for me it's all about the movies, I couldn't care less about any of that other stuff. But what about you?

Edited by rocknroll41

The key in this is Kathleen Kennedy, who's produced a LOT of Spielberg's successes, and had known Lucas since Raiders of the Lost Ark. She's one of the most successful producers - ever. The question is if the people involved now are working towards the spirit and the tone of the original trilogy. Some people feel Lucas should have let someone else direct the first 3 parts, and I think they're going to have some hardcore fans in the mix making this.

I'm excited about Episode VII, because George Lucas won't be involved in it. I can't stand the prequels. I've watched them over and over again and I just can't get into them. So the way I see it, Disney couldn't possibly do a worse job. I'm also excited about the original cast coming back. However, movies like these don't usually live up to the hype they create before they're actually released. I don't think it'll suck, given the fact that JJ Abrams is involved, but sometimes I think we just don't need another SW film. I don't know.

myself I was getting sick of the re-re-re-releases tinkering and adding new features to the old films. every three years a new box set with 5 additional minutes of stuff? come on.

anyhow yes I think it will be great to see new characters and story from the star wars universe. if we left it to George it would just be more tinkering on the old stuff and no moving forward to new stuff.

i'm okay with it, i wish it was George wanting to do it and move forward but he didn't want to so this is the next best thing and way better than nothing at all.

JJ Abrams is a mediocre director who makes mediocre movies. I was hoping that Fincher would get a shot at directing these movies.

I wasn't even aware that David Fincher was associated with Disney in any way, odd. But that would be an epic choice.

Edited by Forsaken

Why are people so excited that Abrams is directing it?

He has absolutely zero decent movies under his belt, and certainly is no where NEAR an 'A-game' director.

He's a mediocre director, and the new film will be a mediocre film that will be absolutely forgettable.

Just look at the guys resume...

Cloverfield - retarded flop movie

Star Trek remake - Lots of action, uninteresting, and boring

Super 8 - Does anyone even remember that movie?

LOST - lol.

Fringe - A flop, failed, uninteresting, bloated, nonsensical series

Mission Impossible III - Uh... lol.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

He has absolutely zero decent movies under his belt, and certainly is no where NEAR an 'A-game' director.

He's a mediocre director, and the new film will be a mediocre film that will be absolutely forgettable.

LOST - lol.

Thought Cloverfield was decent - at least it tried to be a little different than most other monster movies.

Star Trek - big plot hole but overall was well received by most.

Super 8 - very well reviewed - I thought it was great and one of the better movies of the year.

Lost - the last network television show I religiously watched. Though J.J. really didn't have much to do with the show after the first or second season.

Fringe - never watched it.

Mission Impossible III - Not as great as the last one, but still an enjoyable movie. Far better than the first two (especially the second MI).

I don't know man, a lot of people would disagree with you on a lot of your takes on Abrams' work. It's all arbitrary, but I think the guy has shown enough mettle to give people hope.

And hey, at least it's not George Lucas. Anyone would be better than Lucas.

I think the guy deserves at least a chance and if he sucks then get someone else for the next one. Insomnia was a good flick, but Nolan's better work was definitely with the Batman series. Plus, i think a lot will come down to the script. The prequels were doomed from the get-go because they were horribly written. Probably some of the worst dialogue in a major motion picture in a long time.

Edited by downzy

LOST - lol.

Insomnia was a good flick, but Nolan's better work was definitely with the Batman series

Really? Memento, Insomnia, and Prestige are all better than each of the Batman movies.

I'm interested in the screen writer for the new Star Wars... Perhaps he will make up for Abrams creative sterility.

LOST - lol.

Insomnia was a good flick, but Nolan's better work was definitely with the Batman series

Really? Memento, Insomnia, and Prestige are all better than each of the Batman movies.

I'm interested in the screen writer for the new Star Wars... Perhaps he will make up for Abrams creative sterility.

The new writer is Michael Ardnt, his previous writing credits were on Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3, both highly acclaimed movies. The writer of Empire Strikes Back, Return Of the Jedi and the original Indiana Jones trilogy is also involved as is Simon Kinberg, who wrote all the old X-Men movies as well as Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Jumper.

Edited by rocknroll41