Where Would You Rank Axl in the Best Frontman of Rock N Roll History?

ChristmasFnatic

Guest Len B'stard

I wouldn't rank Axl at all, he hasn't done enough to deserve it. He's brilliant, he had all the tools to do it...but he didn't and thats the difference, you can't rank people on having the ability or capability, you have to prove it, sure they were the biggest band in the world but it was only really for a hot minute, one really decent tour in which Axl really made any movement towards being a candidate for that title, anything after the break up of the original band has been damaging to his candidacy (sp) for that title more than anything.

To be honest, ranking Axl with the Lennons and Jaggers of this world is a joke really :shrugs:

Edited by sugaraylen

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But being an awesome songwriter and being a good frontman are two different things. I´m not bashing Lennon, but he´d only stand there playing guitar, which is what 99.9% of singers do. nothing special there. imo.

I agree that Axl is more entertaining to watch than Lennon. I also feel that Axl is a better singer than Lennon. However I feel that What Lennon would bring to a band is greater than what any other singer/ songwriter can bring to the table. John Lennon will write you a guareented hit song. That's a promise that no other singer can give you IMO. With the exception of maybe Bob Dylan, but his singing is awful. Even Freddie Mercury didn't write anything worth a damn after about 1982 IMO. So he had at least 8 years of subpar music. Same goes for Steven Tyler, Ozzy, Robert Plant, Axl and whomever else. While John Lennon never released an album without at least one great fucking song it. Greatest songwriter of all time IMO.

I'm surprise to "read" you say Axl is a better singer than Lennon. What Axl did in the old days was amazing and it fit the music and the spirit of the band, but I don't think he sings stricto sensu. I mean, he does make musical sounds with his voice, but then again Dave Mustaine doesn't sing either, and neither does anyone in metal. But I know what you mean when you say sing. But like I said, it's surprising to hear someone say Axl is a better singer than Lennon.

I think Lennon has a good voice, but honestly McCartney probably has a better over all voice. But There Was A Time :) when I think Axl was the best sounding rock singer on the planet. IMO Axl sounds better on certain songs than the original singer does, and it's very rare that I feel that way. Under my wheels, Free Falln', Whole Lotta Rosie, Sympathy for the Devil, Dead Flowers, knockin' on heavens door, and pretty much everything off of TSI I think Axl sounds better than the original artists. I just feel that when Axl is at his best he is one of the best rock singers that have ever lived. I also feel he is a very under rated songwriter. But saying that John Lennon is overall superior to Axl Rose, and like I said before he would be the singer/songwriter in my dream band.

Elvis is the most overrated musician in rock and roll history. I respect the man and his accomplishments, but come on. You honestly believe that Elvis was better than Freddie or Axl? Elvis wasn't even the best of his era. Chuck Berry can play circles around Elvis. Literally. He could duck walk circles around Elvis. ;)

Elvis is definitely a greater symbol of rock n' roll than both Axl and Mercury. And even Axl would acknowledge Elvis is by far the superior icon. His style, his looks, his swag, his voice, his ability to walk in and out of Hollywood, Maryland, the circumstances of his death, everything. Pure RN'R.

Didn't Axl steal his signature snake dance from the lead singer of another band?

Axl had the potential to be number one of the list. Very few rock bands ever had a five year stretch like Axl and GnR did with Appetite, Lies and the two Illusions. That Axl Rose had top 5 written all over him........with the potential to be number one.

But what Axl has done the last 20 years as removed him from being near the top of that list. The first 6-7 years were Michael Jordan with the Bulls.........the past 20 years is Michael Jordan with the Wizards and his baseball career.

He still has a small chance to work his way back into that top 5 list......but he would have to start releasing albums in a fairly quick fashion. And those albums would all have to be semi-successful - say by selling 4-5 million copies and each album producing a couple rock hits. But with his age and how his voice/body is now, we're talking some REAL music releases. I think Axl has the tools and the talent to do it........but for some reason, Axl and Beta do not agree. Crying shame!!!!

If Axl did this in the next eight years, I think he could easily reastablish himself in the conversation:

2013 - new album, concert DVD

2014 - DVD about Axl's journey from 1996-2013 creating the new bands

2015 - new album

2016 - EP........four acoustic songs, three covers, one new song

2017 - live album

2018 - greatest hits album, with four new songs

2019- Year off!!!!

2020 - new album, release Axl's autobiography