GNR Likely To Play Ottawa Bluesfest

izzy92

After seeing the festival date in Quebec City announced, I emailed the Ottawa Bluesfest director to ask if Guns N Roses would make an appearance. Here's his response:

"While the Bluesfest lineup is 95% finalized, we do still have a few major acts to announce. Stay tuned and you may be in for a surprise".

Sounds pretty promising! Fingers crossed!

What's the date if this festival?

July 4-14

Thanks. I'm guessing it'll be the 13th or 14th then. I can't go...

Would love to see them at Bluesfest, but we're leaving for Europe on the 7th so the odds aren't good. The Bluesfest crowds are always huge though, Maiden pulled about 45,000 both in 2010 and 2012.

why do you guys want them to keep touring? don't you wish they would give a break to this tour and actually get together and make some music?

i wonder how ron thal feels about these dates being added.

I don't think what mygnr'ers want really matters. It's not like we account for more than a handful of the concert goers.

Do these dates interfere with anything else Ron had scheduled? He's in Greece in August right?

why do you guys want them to keep touring? don't you wish they would give a break to this tour and actually get together and make some music?

I don't think what mygnr'ers want really matters. It's not like we account for more than a handful of the concert goers.

Do these dates interfere with anything else Ron had scheduled? He's in Greece in August right?

He keeps talking about "life getting in their way" and how he wants the same as the fans, so yeah, he must be thrilled about one more year of the Chinese Democracy World Tour.

He keeps talking about "life getting in their way" and how he wants the same as the fans, so yeah, he must be thrilled about one more year of the Chinese Democracy World Tour.

That tour ended before UCAP started. It's clearly the GH tour now.

He really needs to come out and say he has no interest in releasing new music if that's the case. If that's not the case, WTF is the case?

Can't say for certain but I think he's being cock-blocked by the label. Not gonna get into if it warranted or not.

I hate how all these festivals try to be all things to all people. If it is a bluesfest, shouldn't it be blues music? I'm not a blues fan, but it seems like all the big acts are anything but blues artists.

My city does the same damn thing, promoting it as a community event when really it's just like any other business venture.

I hate how all these festivals try to be all things to all people. If it is a bluesfest, shouldn't it be blues music? I'm not a blues fan, but it seems like all the big acts are anything but blues artists.

My city does the same damn thing, promoting it as a community event when really it's just like any other business venture.

Yeah I don't get that either.

"Tonight at Bluesfest, Iron Maiden!"

Well said.

Same here. I believe it is because it is easier to get government funding that way rather than through having to compete with the limited funds available for all the rock festivals.

The festival does showcase blues artists primarily. But obviously sustainability has to be considered against the current nature of the industry therefore rock and pop acts have been gradually brought in. GNR aren't the most bluesless band either in fairness. Its past discography is steeped in bluesy guitars and Dj has attempted to recapture that live. Even Chinese has bluesy qualities in parts. I would say TWAT, IRS and SOD are to a degree quite bluesy instrumentally.

Edited by NGOG

Yeah I don't get that either.

"Tonight at Bluesfest, Iron Maiden!"

Well said.

It's called Bluesfest because the primary sponser used to be Labatt's Blue, not because it's a blues festival. This confused me (As well as most bands I've seen at Bluesfest) for years.

They should drop the S and call it Bluefest. It's not "Labatt Blues" anyway it's "Labatt Blue" so it would make sense and make it less confusing to casual festival types who see the name pop up.

Now the big question, will there be other Canadian shows... I'd love to see a solo Ampitheatre show in Toronto. And they could do something like Oshawa or Kitchener if they want to hit markets they haven't done before (not to mention Victoria out in B.C.). I really wish canucks would do the festival thing more. We don't even seem to be getting HeavyTO this year.

They should drop the S and call it Bluefest. It's not "Labatt Blues" anyway it's "Labatt Blue" so it would make sense and make it less confusing to casual festival types who see the name pop up.

Now the big question, will there be other Canadian shows... I'd love to see a solo Ampitheatre show in Toronto. And they could do something like Oshawa or Kitchener if they want to hit markets they haven't done before (not to mention Victoria out in B.C.). I really wish canucks would do the festival thing more. We don't even seem to be getting HeavyTO this year.

Molson Amphitheatre has a very strict 11pm curfue so not sure they'd go for it. More flexibility at the ACC (or a smaller indoor venue).