Covers vs Originals

Gun N' Roses

Four Guns N' Roses Covers:

1.) Hair of the Dog (GnR vs. Nazareth)

2.) Knockin' on Heaven's Door (GnR vs. Bob Dylan)

3.) Live and Let Die (GnR vs. Paul McCartney)

4.) Sympathy for the Devil (GnR vs. The Rolling Stones)

Do you prefer the cover or the original song?

My Choices

1.) Nazareth, overall I find there version more enjoyable to listen to and it has something special to it that makes it more appealing to me. I feel they did a better job altogether on the song than GnR did.

2.) GnR, their cover wasn't just them re-singing the song. They truly made it their own and i find it much better than the original. They sound like two completely different songs to me. And GnR's version sounds a whole lot better. Axl killed it with his vocals.

3.) GnR, this was a tough decision for me, but I feel Axl did an amazing cover of Paul's song. I think his voice was perfect for it, and Slash's guitar riff in GnR's is much stronger, which I personally like. I feel Axl put more heart into the song also.

4.) The Rolling Stones, I honestly don't get how people find GnR's version better. When I first heard it, I could hardly finish. Personally, I wasn't too fond of Axl's vocals in this one. I don't think it even compares to The Stones, but that's just my opinion.

Hair of the Dog - GNR, my favorite in TSI album.

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - GNR, I'm not a fan of Bobby - never like his songs.

Live and Let Die - GNR, even Paul's son thought it's a GNR's original song.

Sympathy - GNR, I even like it more than any GNR original songs.

Guest cbgnr666

Gnr versions of all are better imo.SFTD original is kinda funny,esp during the outro.

Edited by cbgnr666

I'm not a fan of "Knockin" at all, really. Gn'R overplayed it to hell through the years and the song in a live setting goes on too long. But still, Dylan's is boring. Gn'R made the song better.

Same with "Live and Let Die." Original kinda sucks.

Hair of the Dog - Nazareth (Don´t like the song, though)

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - GNR (Good song, shouldn´t have been on UYI 2, though)

Live and Let Die - GNR (Don´t like the song, though)

Sympathy for the Devil - 50/50 (both versions are great)

Hair of the Dog - Nazareth, by far. The GNR version is horrible.

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - GNR LIve > Dylan > GNR Studio

Live and Let Die - Wings BY FAR.

Sympathy for the Devil - Stones by a decent margin

3. lol awful song awful cover

I'd expect this from someone who likes Smoke in the Water.

Really love Gn'R's cover of Sympathy for the Devil - way better than the original imo. It's actually fucking brilliant and much underrated.

From youtube ratings you can also clearly see that most people think like me. :)

1. GNR. Axl is better, imo. The live versions are killer, it's a shame that they never play this song in full
2. GNR, altough i'm a bit tired of that song
3. neither. God awful song. Maybe Axl's scream makes it a bit better

4. I know this is a controvery GNR cover, but i prefer the Guns version. Much more energy, than the original

4. Guns version (Slash's outro is amazing)

You mean Paul Tobias?

No. I meant Slash the one who played the outro in its entirety.

Please refrain from asking stupid shit, I'm afraid some young gunners read this forum and they might think someone actually gives a shit about hanger-on Paul Tobias. Thanks.

1.) Hair of the Dog (GnR vs. Nazareth)--------Original

2.) Knockin' on Heaven's Door (GnR vs. Bob Dylan)----------GnR. But they really need to retire the song. There is no energy left in it live.

3.) Live and Let Die (GnR vs. Paul McCartney)-----------McCartney. Always been one of my least favorite songs by GnR.

4.) Sympathy for the Devil (GnR vs. The Rolling Stones)----------Stones and this one shouldn't even be a discussion. One of the few GnR songs I can't even force myself to listen to.

1. Nazareth

2. Dylan, GN'Rs cover is sooooo self indulgent. Early live renditions were good though. Bryan Ferry's version from his Dylanesque album is still the best version out there.

3. GN'R but what a crappy song with a cheesy melody

4. Draw, the Stones' is legendary but GN'R's rendition is also great.