What are your thoughts on Myles Kennedy in GNR?

OJones90

This is mainly for those of you who criticise Axl these days, but I guess it's aimed at everyone anyway.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on Myles Kennedy performing Guns n Roses songs?

And those who prefer Slash's stuff to Axl's stuff, do you enjoy Myles perfoming GNR songs?

Personally, i'm a fan of Alter Bridge (well, some of their stuff at least) and I think Myles is a great frontman. I'm seeing them in a few months time so i've been watching some of Myles lately, so naturally i've been watching his performances with Slash too.

Sometimes i'm thinking yeah, he's doing this pretty well actually. But then sometimes im thinking meh, doesnt sound right one bit tbh, especially when he's singing the higher notes in Civil War, Nightrain and Rocket Queen which are a bit cringeworthy tbh. As i said, i like him but i think he's far more suited to his own stuff than GNR. It really made me realise how harsh people are when they criticise Axl though, because even without rasp I think he's still far better. I've been a bit disappointed at the lack of rasp lately too, but I watched some recent clips straight after i watched Myles, and thought Axl was still better. :shrugs:

Think Myles' best performance was Sweet Child at the Hall of Fame. That was quite decent. Although, for some reason it felt more odd and more wrong watching that than it is watching a new GNR lineup.

Would also be interesting to hear Axl's thoughts on him too haha.

Edited by OJones90

To me Myles sounds like those british singers from the 80s, and it just makes me remember Axls opinion on Guns being similar to Maiden in which he responds "I hope not" with a slight "are you fucking kidding me lady" attitude, well those are exactly my feelins with Myles in GnR.

Myles is awesome. I think he nails the GNR tunes and fits really well in alter bridge and with slash. Would have loved to have seen him with page, Jones, and bonham (no it wouldn't be zeppelin) too.

Hes no Axl though

I have nothing but praise for Myles Kennedy. Truly amazing singer who gets undeserved shit here because he doesn't sound like a chain smoker.

He may not sound like Axl, but he still does a much more professional job with the GNR songs than Axl does these days. Blows Axl away on SCOM and Rocket Queen, and does perfectly acceptable versions of Nightrain and the rest. I'd go as far as to say that the only GNR song Axl's band consistently performs better than Slash's is Welcome to the Jungle.

Edited by bacardimayne

Myles is good. I never heard him until Back to Cali and Starlight on the first Slash solo album. I was instantly a fan. I wouldn't be so kind though if I went to see a band called Guns N' Roses and there was a different frontman. Even if it were Myles. That's how pro-Axl I am. Can't help it.

Edited by Eddie Money

... I wouldn't be so kind though if I went to see a band called Guns N' Roses and there was a different frontman. ... That's how pro-Axl I am. ...

but you're happy to go see a band that calls itself guns n' roses and there is a different everything except the frontman?

and as for this topic, we wouldn't even be having to ask the question 'does myles do a good enough job fronting the old guns songs with slash' if axl would just put a stop to all this cold silence and reunited already.

He's cool and he does the GnR songs well. As for being in GnR? Well as much as I hate to say it there is no GnR without Axl on vocals. Yes it's degenerated to a glorified cover band now but without Axl it would be nothing.

I have nothing but praise for Myles Kennedy. Truly amazing singer who gets undeserved shit here because he doesn't sound like a chain smoker.

He may not sound like Axl, but he still does a much more professional job with the GNR songs than Axl does these days. Blows Axl away on SCOM and Rocket Queen, and does perfectly acceptable versions of Nightrain and the rest. I'd go as far as to say that the only GNR song Axl's band consistently performs better than Slash's is Welcome to the Jungle.

Everything you said, though you forgot to mention that he nails paradise city every fucking time (especially the long note before the outtro)