The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Guest Len B'stard

I did actually, yeah. In one of our many golden eras, Arsenal were the fuckin' bollocks in the 30s. Still are :) First team to do the movie-business bit too, they had a film out in the late 30s called The Arsenal Stadium Mystery.

Arsenal were bankrolled more than Man City and Chelsea together in the earlier years.

Some would have you believe in many-a sinister way too, brown envelopes and all that, just ask your local Spud, they're fond of wheeling that one out.

Edited by sugaraylen

But returning to the point, just look at Compton's achievement; he doubled up as, a fairly successful footballer (enough to be in a top-flight club and win two major trophies), alongside, probably the greatest batsman England ever produced. It would be like - name a fairly successful English football player? - Frank Lampard or somebody doing what he does for his club, premiership and fa cups etc, at the weekend before playing the Ashes on weekdays! Granted, todays schedule, both Football and Cricket, are more congested but it is still a remarkable achievement.

Guest Len B'stard

But after much consideration he decided to settle on 'doorstop' as his occupation of choice, sensible man.

Guest Len B'stard

Look how good we are when the young pups come on :) Or better anyway.

Edited by sugaraylen

Sad really isn't it. I watched that as a 14 year old and genuinely thought the golden generation would win the World Cup in 2006.

Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Neville

Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham

Rooney, Owen

Theo Walcott, James Milner

Throw in Sol Csmpbell, Owen Hargreaves, joe Cole, Shaun Wright Phillips, Aaron Lennon, Stewart Downing...

All that individual talent and "potential talent" - nothing to show for it.

Looking back though, we took Darius Vassell and Kieron Dyer to Euro 2004 :D

Sad really isn't it. I watched that as a 14 year old and genuinely thought the golden generation would win the World Cup in 2006.

Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Neville

Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham

Rooney, Owen

Theo Walcott, James Milner

Throw in Sol Csmpbell, Owen Hargreaves, joe Cole, Shaun Wright Phillips, Aaron Lennon, Stewart Downing...

All that individual talent and "potential talent" - nothing to show for it.

Looking back though, we took Darius Vassell and Kieron Dyer to Euro 2004 :D

In 1998 we had Shearer, Ince, Owen and Becks (when he was good)! (We could have had Gazza also, if, not for a kebab). England have fielded countless teams since 1966 and under performed. Same old story.

PS

I think Rooney should be 'on the bench'. He deserves a place in the squad but I see nothing there to gain a 'first team place'. He has to work at that. He probably deserves the right to earn that based on Man u form in the season before last but I do not see any reason why Rooney should be there instead of, Defoe. It is insane how, somehow, Rooney, a fat Irishman with a hair transplant, is 'automatic striker for England'.

Prob with England is they don't the right managers. They go for steady stats not winners. Clough, Venables, Harry all a bit dodgy but can create spirit to win it.

I think it was 87 when Bobby Robson almost managed them out of it. Then half time the players took over and just went for it.

Can Liverpool win the World Cup?

PS

I think Rooney should be 'on the bench'. He deserves a place in the squad but I see nothing there to gain a 'first team place'. He has to work at that. He probably deserves the right to earn that based on Man u form in the season before last but I do not see any reason why Rooney should be there instead of, Defoe. It is insane how, somehow, Rooney, a fat Irishman with a hair transplant, is 'automatic striker for England'.

It's insane that the media compare Rooney to Messi/Ronaldo. Rooney has had a few good seasons for Utd in the past several years, but he's always been overrated solely for being English. Unfortunately he'll probably be England's top goal scorer before he calls it quits and he'll have nothing to show for it. He was very good at one point, but now it's just waisted talent.

England's best chance imo was in 2006. The team played horribly, but so did most of the other top sides (i.e Brazil, Argentina and France). All they had to do was put in a decent effort, they'd beat Portugal and France let's be honest was just Zidane in 06. I wouldn't take them over Italy though.

Wasted... Liverpool won the Champion's League with a worse squad comparatively to the top sides in Europe than England had to the big international sides in the past tournaments.

Capello was a winner his stats speak for it, there was nothing steady about his accomplishments at club level. Rooney ect just didn't give a fuck, shame on them.

Edited by AtariLegend

Englands top goalscorers:

Charlton, Lineker, Greaves, Owen and Rooney are position 1-5 at the moment.

Do most of you think that the players above are the Top 5 English strikers ever?

Alan Shearer is often overlooked, but 30 goals in 62 games is a great record. Equally though, Peter Crouch has 21 in 42 games!

Tommy Taylor looks like hell of a player statistically - 16 in 19 games before his death in the Munich disaster. (112 in 166 games for United)

Wherever Rooney finishes up, I will always rate Michael Owen above him. The guy was a natural goalscorer and great in the box.

Owen's career was destroyed in 2006 with that knee injury, he never recovered from that and some would argue he was never the same after his hamstring went the first time.

Shame that his career has been devalued by the final few years.

Guest Len B'stard

Can't stand Michael Owen...or Robbie Fowler, the latter for obvious reasons.

PS

It's insane that the media compare Rooney to Messi/Ronaldo.

What cunt does that?!?!

Shearer retired from England duty too early, putting club before country. He could have been there in 2002 Japan/Korea. Shearer is an absolute god on tyneside by the way. Literally - in actual fact, if god arrived in the toon geordies would say, ''fuck yee, you are not as good as wor Alan''. The sight of the raised hand will put a geordie into a frenzy.

Always been an Owen fan. Classic goalscorer. Sadly, injuries plagued his career. The Owen-Rooney partnership never quite worked, did it?

Rooney: This is the best England team in over a decade

Wayne Rooney has admitted he has "no idea" how England will perform at the World Cup but says the current squad is the best he has ever been in at national team level.

Roy Hodgson has picked the likes of inexperienced Luke Shaw, Ross Barkley and Adam Lallana among the 23-man roster for the tournament in Brazil.

Although Rooney feels this is the best national team he has played with since his debut 11 years ago, he is unsure how the more inexperienced members of the squad will handle the pressure when they meet Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica.

"This is the best England squad I’ve ever been involved with," he told the Daily Mirror. "The one weakness is that we have a lot players who haven’t got any real experience of tournament football.

"I don't think anyone can predict what will happen to England in Brazil – and that’s why I am really excited about this World Cup.

"I've got absolutely no idea how we are going to perform. We could have a massive impact on the tournament, go all the way to the final and surprise everyone.

"All I can say is that the potential and quality we have got in this squad is really exciting. I look at lads like Daniel ­Sturridge, Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana and I can’t help but be positive about what we can do.

"It’s mad because we’ve got so many good young players. When I look back at Euro 2004, I was the youngest player in the squad, but I was able to call on a lot of top experienced ­players to help me through.

"So, it will be up to the likes of Steve Gerrard, Frank Lampard and myself to pass on our knowledge of playing in these tournaments to the younger lads."

Rooney had severe injury doubts ahead of each of his previous two outings at a World Cup but there are no such worries this time around and the striker is keen to prove himself on the world stage after disappointments in Germany and South Africa.

"After the injury problems I have had in the build-up to my two previous World Cups, I really hope this can be my tournament," he continued.

"I haven’t scored at a World Cup yet and and that’s something I want to put right because it does wind me up.

"I want to do better this time – not just for myself – but because I know that, if I am playing well, then I’ll be helping the team."

Source: http://www.goal.com/en/news/3790/world-cup-2014/2014/06/01/4853367/rooney-this-is-the-best-england-team-in-over-a-decade?ICID=HP_TS_1

Copying/pasting on to this forum is extremely annoying.

Edited by AtariLegend