The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Guest Len B'stard

I remember City playing in snow a couple of christmasses ago that looked worse than that storm, in terms of it effecting ones ability to play the game.

Not just from an English perspective, but you had Zidane. He was the last player to really shine at a w.c a la Pele and Maradona. The likes of Messi, C Ronaldo and Rooney have not delivered (yet). 2006 was decent in the group stages, Germany playing like Brazilians. 2002 and 2010 were terrible world cups.

Not just from an English perspective, but you had Zidane. He was the last player to really shine at a w.c a la Pele and Maradona. The likes of Messi, C Ronaldo and Rooney have not delivered (yet). 2006 was decent in the group stages, Germany playing like Brazilians. 2002 and 2010 were terrible world cups.

ah you meant world cups in general, thought you meant england world cup squads ;)

yeah I do have very fond memories of 98, some massive names were involved in that tournament :)

2002 was a weird one, with most of the big teams getting knocked out early, south korea's blatant cheating (Byron Moreno is still the most hated man in Italy) and Rivaldo's ridiculous diving in the Turkey match. Apart from Robbie Keane's goal against the Germans there wasn't all that much to get excited about.

2006 was obviously the best world cup in the history of the universe ever. I may be slightly biased in this opinion though ;) A player from my Mum's home town (Iaquinta) scored in Italy's opener so already it got off to a good start. Then the semi final against the Germans which was probably the most nerve wracking game of football I have ever seen, I watched it in the Italian club in Kettering, it was chaos when Del piero's goal went in! The final was a total snooze fest by comparison but you won't hear me complain about that!

2010 was obviously overshadowed by the sound of bloody vuvuzelas! :( The Ghana-uruguay game was fantastic, England were terrible, Italy were worse, did anything else happen? It rained in Cape town?

I really don't remember much from WC 2010 - Lampards ghost goal, Upson in defence for England, Rooney was shit, Green fumbled, a Dutchman attempted to kick the face of a Spamiard, Vucuzelas, Torres scoring goals. That's literally EVERYTHiNG.

Perhaps it was because I was so ill during the Tournament that I didn't get to fully experience and enjoy it.

France 98 was great, my first football memory and Owen's goal made me fall in love with football.

2002 was good for me, I enjoyed the games that I could watch. The 13 second goal, the controversy, Ronaldo's haircut, Beckhams penalty...

Ronaldo got Brazil to back to back World Cup Finals. And had he been 100% in 98, they very well could've won both of them. But he ran Brazil's show up and down in back to back tournaments. Also broke Gerd Muller's goalscoring record.

Edited by moreblack

How the fuck did the Italians win 2006? They were so boring and nobody had them on the radar then suddenly, they had won the bloody thing! They did not even have a centre forward in the team! I remember them diving and winning a cheeky penalty against Australia also.

How the fuck did the Italians win 2006? They were so boring and nobody had them on the radar then suddenly, they had won the bloody thing! They did not even have a centre forward in the team! I remember them diving and winning a cheeky penalty against Australia also.

Toni had scored like 31 goals the season before in Italy which was alot more impressive than 30 in the Premiership at the time. Inzaghi's goal scoring exploits in Europe were almost legendary at the time and Totti/Piero weren't bad last decade either :P. Add in Gattuso/Pirlo/Nesta/Buffon/Cannavro a young De Rossi and several other players who played in more than 1 European Cup Final.

I don't care about the match fixing in the league. That was a hell of a squad.

I remember Motson picked them to win it a Radio Times preview the month before.

Guest Len B'stard

Was amazing how many Italians popped up in my little town when they won, never fuckin' knew there was even that many, zooming up and down the roads, hanging out screaming ITALIA, ITALIA, ITALIA! Hanging out of their cars I mean! :D Were it the other, being Italian men, you probably wouldn't notice :lol:

*awaits Kass'* :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

I thought Italy were wretched and I honestly have no idea how they ended up winning the thing. Germany were wacking goals in like they were going out of fashion in the groups, and Peckerman's Argies looked impressive, yet we ended up with a team so unbelievably dull, that I honestly feel they bored the other teams into submission. It seems like everybody woke up on final day and suddenly realised the Italians had won!

PS

England in 2006 were so bad that I can barely remember a thing about their performance (maybe my subconscious has blocked it out, or, maybe I simply forgot). The one thing I recall is, only one player turning up: Joe Cole. The rest of the team arrived with their dicks in their hands, while, Cole is bombing down the left flank with an Oasis haircut.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Luca Toni's goals got Palermo promoted a couple of seasons prior and in the season leading into the WC he scored 31 goals for Fiorentina, but he seemingly wasn't able to transform his long run of form into goals at the world cup (he did get a couple in the quarter final) ultimately our goals were distributed evenly amongst all our strikers (Iaquinta, Del Piero and Inzaghi all scored after coming on as subs)

As usual people only remember the dodgy penalty against Australia and conveniently ignore that they managed to get Materazzi (i think it was him) sent off due to equally poor gamesmanship from their part. Besides which they were a man up for a good hour or so and didn't get close to scoring so they get no sympathy from me.

It's also worth noting that the "most boring team" were actually the second highest goalscorers behind the Germans and also had the best goal difference of any team, scoring 12 and only conceding 2 (one of which an own goal, the other a dodgy pen from Zizou) Germany scored 14 (average 2 per game) but conceded 6, so I guess the difference is that we had more boring players like Cannavaro, Nesta, Gattuso, Buffon than they did and that's why we beat them in the semi ;)

• Like 1

Alright sir. Italia. Brazil eat your heart out.

2010 was a horrible world cup. I cannot remember a single thing about it beyond Lampard's disallowed goal and Spain winning against an extremely dirty Dutch side. To put another way, ask me who England played in the groups and I simply do not know. Ask me the same about Italia '90 or Euro '96 and I know. It is funny how the brain works like that, isn't it?

I thought Italy were wretched and I honestly have no idea how they ended up winning the thing. Germany were wacking goals in like they were going out of fashion in the groups, and Peckerman's Argies looked impressive, yet we ended up with a team so unbelievably dull, that I honestly feel they bored the other teams into submission. It seems like everybody woke up on final day and suddenly realised the Italians had won!

PS

England in 2006 were so bad that I can barely remember a thing about their performance (maybe my subconscious has blocked it out, or, maybe I simply forgot). The one thing I recall is, only one player turning up: Joe Cole. The rest of the team arrived with their dicks in their hands, while, Cole is bombing down the left flank with an Oasis haircut.

Only thing I remember was Cole's goal against Sweden and Owen's knee injury. The squads in 2002, 2006 and 2010 were very average compared to who we have now.