Should albums be shorter?

Vincent Vega

Records shouldn't be anything other than what the artist intends them to be

The artists don't usually call the shots.

These days major label artists don't, however most smaller label and independent artists have full creative control

I think the artist should do whatever's best for their vision. That said, I definitely do prefer albums that are in that 40 to 45 minute range, anything shorter is a bit of a let down and anything longer tends to drag (unless the material is really fuckin' strong).

It also works well from a business perspective.

If you're a band and you write say, 20-30 songs of varying quality,

you can juice the audience slowly...7 or 8 songs per album, say, a year between records, you have 4-5 records right there across a four year span.

Release singles digitally (ala the way Bumblefoot went about it) every few months to keep interest flowing--Part I of the single would be a non-album single, part 2 a taste of the next album. Or a single in a similar musical vein as the next record, like, not an album single, but a single in a similar musical style to the next album and gauge the public reaction to it.

You both keep your creativity pumping for longer, artistically, get a better glimpse into what the fans want instead of throwing all this music at them all at once, and also can juice them for a longer period, keep them interested.

Edited by Vincent Vega

I think hip hop albums need to be shorter. I love hip hop and that but rap can only have so much diveristy in it and still be stretched out to 75 minutes plus.

See Licensed to Ill and Raising Hell.

I'd listen to hip hop so much more often if the albums weren't stupidly long.

I think hip hop albums need to be shorter. I love hip hop and that but rap can only have so much diveristy in it and still be stretched out to 75 minutes plus.

See Licensed to Ill and Raising Hell.

I'd listen to hip hop so much more often if the albums weren't stupidly long.

One of the main reasons that I like Yeezus

"Yo, yo, shoot guns and kill fools, haha! Fuck whitey, git da drug money and slap da hos"--Every single rap album in history summed up.

Leeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Len B'stard

"Yo, yo, shoot guns and kill fools, haha! Fuck whitey, git da drug money and slap da hos"--Every single rap album in history summed up.

Translation: I have a small penis and black males intimidate me.

The thing I don't really care for in rap albums are the skits/interludes, it's a weak way of making it into a concept album, esp. if it's throughout the whole album. It occasionally works, but after a few times, just leads to hitting the skip button.

Guest Len B'stard

The thing I don't really care for in rap albums are the skits/interludes, it's a weak way of making it into a concept album, esp. if it's throughout the whole album. It occasionally works, but after a few times, just leads to hitting the skip button.

I think you misinterpret the idea of skits, i don't think it's always to conceptualise the product, it just jokes 80% of the time.

No, actually, I just despise rap music with only 3 exceptions. Black males don't intimidate me. But I must admit, I do worry that a bomb'll go off when I see your kin on the streets around here.

No, actually, I just despise rap music with only 3 exceptions. Black males don't intimidate me. But I must admit, I do worry that a bomb'll go off when I see your kin on the streets around here.
Translation: Yes. :lol:

I think you misinterpret the idea of skits, i don't think it's always to conceptualise the product, it just jokes 80% of the time.

I think they weaken albums

I agree for the most part....but when it works......it works.

Ghetto D

Supreme Clientele

The Score

C'mon man.....seriously I hope your joking. Be better than that man...

Edited by SunnyDRE

Translation: Yes. :lol:

Len's not a black in this version of his biography (formally black boxer from the hardscrabble streets of Brooklyn, now a no flight lister from somethingStan). I'm not intimidated by black fellas, they're all pretty chill, they don't tend to blow up shit when things don't go their way.

Guest Len B'stard

It just seemed odd to me that your immediate criticism of them seemed directly relative to their masculinity, their prowess with females and that kinda stuff, just an observation :D

And as far as being afraid of one of my mine when you walk out in the street, you must be doing alright then because for that to happen you'd have to actually try stepping out in the street.

But yeah, i imagine you would be afraid Miser, you strike me as someone that lives their life like that.

But honestly, its the tiny dick bit that got you, isn't it? :lol: If you'd kept it under-zip Miser no one would've known. 'Hersuit and tiny' BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:

Seems like race is an on-going issue with you, whether its those pesky blacks and their civils rights or no flight listers or white trash glam metal fans, perhaps its something you'd like to discuss in depth a little? Or alternatively, you could go fuck yourself? :lol:

On a serious note, i think you might benefit somewhat from adopting a mentality more in line with the stereotype of the hip hop culture mentality.

Edited by sugaraylen

• 3 weeks later...

Dude, you ruin your own threads.

*sigh*