Is it possible to find the stripped-down versions of the UYI albums?

TombRaider

I do not believe Slash is referring to demos. I think he is more referring to early, unfinalized and unmastered mixes that had the basic "rock band" sound (guitar, drums, bass, vocals) that were built up before synthesizers, backup vocals, and sound effects were added. As far as I know, those aren't available.

I see the point-of-view, but at the end of the day I'm so used to hearing the Use Your Illusion albums in their current state that I have lost much desire to hear them any other way.

Chances are every band member has them floating around somewhere. I'm sure they were given to each band member before the final round of instruments were added and Slash, Duff, Matt, etc. played them for friends and family. Chances of getting an official release are close to zero because of Axl's steadfast view on old material being released, but I would not be surprised if at some point in the future they leaked. Stranger things have happened.

Edited by themadcaplaughs

Yeah, but for a change -- since there's nothing better to do now. Sad thing about the old band is that it was an incomplete journey. We - as fans - were supposed to get sooo many stuff Axl had in his mind and all went to shit because of the break-up. :cry:

I don't think this "raw stripped down UYI" actually exists. I think it's BS. Axl said as early as April '90 that Dizzy had already added keyboard parts to songs that they hadn't even considered putting keyboards on and this was just rehearsals....Real recording didn't take place until Matt was in the band (Summer/early fall 1990) and Dizzy was already there.

So... you're calling Slash a liar? :laugh:

I'm saying Slash might not remember so well. Not that he's totally lying but...He could misremember things or just be exaggerating. Like "My versions of the UYIs were so much better man, they were rocking...I wish I could show you but coincidentally I lost the tapes". You know?

The main difference I would venture to guess between any 'raw' UYIs and the finished product would be: The raw versions would lack vocals, and vocal overdubs and things like Axl's spoken word parts or the sound effects like the bubble sounds in Garden of Eden. They wouldn't lack Dizzy Reed or synthesizers. From all I've read, the instrumental tracks were well done by the time Axl got around to the vocals and being a perfectionist.

We have demo versions of instrumentals of several songs from late 1990 and they're pretty much the same as the final product except for no Axl vocals or sound effects. The only 'raw' versions of UYI songs (as in, sans piano or synth) there are are the demos from before Adler was fired, and The Mates Rehearsal from '89 and we've heard them already--Don't Cry, Civil War, Back Off Bitch, The Garden, Locomotive (ft. Adler), Don't Damn Me (ft. Adler), Garden of Eden (ft. Adler) and some others.

Edited by Vincent Vega

There are some alternative mixes which I've seen thrown on bootlegs together with some 'Q-sound' mixes (that makes stereo sound like surround iirc). It's been very long since I've heard them but iirc they were nott very different.

There are some alternative mixes which I've seen thrown on bootlegs together with some 'Q-sound' mixes (that makes stereo sound like surround iirc). It's been very long since I've heard them but iirc they were nott very different.

Yep. The DAT tapes that surfaced a few years ago.

there are tons of effects (water bubbles in GOE, nutcracker in DH etc.) most likely being put on there by Axl playing around in the editing studio (at least by his will).....and many of them are pretty disgusting. i think Slash is just referring to the near final versions without those stupid effects.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the closest thing to a "stripped down" version of UYI could be heard today in the demos on the Tube...just doing a search you can find gems like:

Don't Damn Me

I think here music-wise they already had done all the final takes (even the guitar solo is exactly the same) but for the vocals Axl was trying different things. I think it's a really interesting sneek-peek of how he worked on that song lyric-wise.

Locomotive

This is the audio record without the vocals. Sounds amazingly great, it really gives you the feel of how amazing the music of this song is.

And listening to this also gives you the feel of how unbelievable is axl's singing on this piece of music, especially in the outro.

By the way, does anyone have the piano demo from Estranged and the rough instrumental mix that was on the DAT tapes in .flac ? In both cases I only have them in crappy 160kb .mp3 ...Thanks for the help!

By the way, does anyone have the piano demo from Estranged and the rough instrumental mix that was on the DAT tapes in .flac ? In both cases I only have them in crappy 160kb .mp3 ...Thanks for the help!

Interestingly, "Estranged" was called "Without You" on the DAT label.

Interestingly, "Estranged" was called "Without You" on the DAT label.

I think it sported both names.

Anyway, could anyone provide me the files?