What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Huo Yuanjia was a real person. The picture you see at the funeral is actually the real Huo Yuanjia. He is famous for beating a number of international fighters representing the Shanghai colonial authorities in a tournament and setting up the Ching Wu school (which still exists as a worldwide kung fu association). A great Chinese hero. The events of his life can be seen in the Jet Li film, Fearless, an excellent film. He was rumoured to have been poisoned by the Japanese and that is what Fist of Fury seizes upon. Ironically the Japanese, despite being cartoon villains in the piece, loved Fist of Fury. It was a huge box office hit there.

Yeah i was aware that he was a real person but i didn't know the bit about the colonial authorities. Isn't Fist of Legend meant to be about the same thing? Is it Fist of Legend, I can't remember, i had a mate called Matt who got me to watch a shitload of Jet Li films back in the day. I might be about to ask a really stupid question but was Chen a real person too?

When i was 12 i wanted to get one of those Tai Chi outfits he wears, just to wear the top like a jacket. It's hard to explain because in and of themselves they look like pyjamas but the way Bruce Lee wore the top made it look so fucking cool :lol: Glad i didn't because I would've probably looked a right cunt :lol:

Ever see Bloodsport? Apparently the guy it's based on, Frank Dux and all that Kumite stuff was all a load of made up bollocks and his record as this amazing martial artist was all mickey mouse.

Edited by Len B'stard

Chen is fictitious as is the events of Fist of Fury, a student avenging Yuanjia's death. Fist of Legend is a remake, with a more nuanced, sympathetic depiction of the Japanese. There were actually two sequels to the original film, New Fist of Fury with Jackie Chan and Fist of Fury II with Bruce Li. The former has Lo Wei directing and Nora Maio (did I say Angela Mau before? What drugs have I been taken) and Tien Feng. The Bruce Li one has Lo Lieh as the bad guy. They are both alright. The Jackie Chan one has Jackie being recruited by the Ching Wu school. The Bruce Li one has Chen's twin brother return and avenge Chen's death. I think the Bruce Li one has the edge.

Chen is fictitious as is the events of Fist of Fury, a student avenging Yuanjia's death. Fist of Legend is a remake, with a more nuanced, sympathetic depiction of the Japanese. There were actually two sequels to the original film, New Fist of Fury with Jackie Chan and Fist of Fury II with Bruce Li. The former has Lo Wei directing and Nora Maio (did I say Angela Mau before? What drugs have I been taken) and Tien Feng. The Bruce Li one has Lo Lieh as the bad guy. They are both alright. The Jackie Chan one has Jackie being recruited by the Ching Wu school. The Bruce Li one has Chen's twin brother return and avenge Chen's death. I think the Bruce Li one has the edge.

I was gonna say i thought it was Nora Miao, it's always her in Bruce films.

I've seen those sequels but to be honest back when i watched those films i never really gave them a fair chance as being movies in their own right, i just took them as naff Bruce lee knock offs, which I suppose they were to a point. I should go back and check them out. I've seen an ungodly amount of those Bruce Li movies.

Jackie was doing b-movies in Taiwan and I mean b-movies by HK standards. Some of them are really cheap. Low Wei washed his hands of him and lent him out to Seasonal where he produced Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master and the rest is history. My favourite of the Lo Wei Chan films is probably Dragon Fist, real cheapo but I like it for some reason.

Drunken Master, that one was brilliant! I remember reading about Lo Wei that when he was directing ummm, it was either Big Boss or Fist of Fury he couldn't be bothered and was more interested in listening in to the races on the radio :lol:

I might have a refresh of Jackie Chans stuff, really and truly speaking its been a good 15 years since I've seen em, it's as good as not having seen them in some cases cuz it was so long ago and i only saw em the once, little dribs and drabs come back to me when you talk about em.

Edited by Len B'stard

Probably both. One of the reasons Bruce's fights look so much different and so much better than all the fights without Bruce present is, Bruce would direct his fights and Lo Wei, or more specifically Han Ying-chieh (the 'Big Boss' and choreographer), would direct the fights which did not have Bruce. That was the sort of compromise which was reached. You can see the huge change Bruce brought as the other fights with people like James Tien and Nora Miao are in that old clunky style with big flying Wing Chun arms. Bruce brought in Muhammad Ali dance steps and Karate moves.

Unearthed It was pretty good.

How can you like Death Proof? All it is is a bunch of skanks talking about shite for 90 minutes and a tiny bit of car action at the end.

Yeah, it was slow at first but that scene when Kurt Russell rams his car into those girl's and that leg goes flying and they all die horribly was shocking.

I like the stunt woman Zoe Bell and she was kick ass in this movie. The ending where they kicked Kurt's ass was worth the hour of talking.

Inglorious Bastards was an awesome movie and made a huge star of Christopher. He was just so watchable as that Nazi General. You couldn't help but listen to every word he said. Loved the subtitles too.

Planet Terror

Fun. A more fun experience than Death Proof. Not necessarily a great film though.

Machete

Enjoyed it. It is curious as it works as a film, creating a strange dichotomy here. Yes it is a gormless actioner with every cliche going - and this is a pastiche of a distinct generic form of film making, much derided - but they do emotionally invest you in the scenario. If you watch every Segal film - and as a fan of HK cinema I used to be rather smug in my distaste for these films - you are emotionally invested more than watching Captain America vs Hulk, 3rd reboot ina five year period, year 2009, CGI looking like a toilet of urine after a heavy night on the Stella. They need their defenders and deserve their defenders, these films, as they were perfectly decent b-films which fulfilled a basic requirement in cinema.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Prefer Death Proof to Kill Bill or Inglorious. Just a fun movie. I've rewateched it a few times. It's just a bit more playful. Obviously narrative isnt his strength. I suupose you could say Inglorious is a better put together movie, Death Proof is a bit of a mess, but there's lots of cool parts. There's still some interesting ideas. The same actors used in the second part where Stuntman Mike meets his match. This is QT's territory. I's prefer he was like the Woody Allen of crime capers instead trying to be a really filmaker.

Prefer Death Proof to Kill Bill or Inglorious. Just a fun movie. I've rewateched it a few times. It's just a bit more playful. Obviously narrative isnt his strength. I suupose you could say Inglorious is a better put together movie, Death Proof is a bit of a mess, but there's lots of cool parts. There's still some interesting ideas. The same actors used in the second part where Stuntman Mike meets his match. This is QT's territory. I's prefer he was like the Woody Allen of crime capers instead trying to be a really filmaker.

It's in the middle for me

Jackie Brown

Reservoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Death Proof

Kill Bill

Inglourious Basterds

Django Unchained

1. Reservoir Dogs

2. Jackie Brown

3. Pulp Fiction

4. Kill Bill

5. Death Proof

6. Django

7 Inglorious

Anyone ever seen his unfinished Indie piece My Best Friends Birthday? It's actually pretty cute, you can sort of see the Tarantino-isms all over it, there's even a little Kung Fu scene :lol:

His Four Rooms segment would be at the bottom, if counted.

True but then when somethings already been done by Steve McQueen and Peter Lorre and has been directed by Alfred Hitchcock you're kinda punching way above your weight as a Tarantino. Steve McQueens presence alone puts anything above anything else because he is the Messiah.

Edited by Len B'stard

1. Reservoir Dogs

2. Jackie Brown

3. Pulp Fiction

4. Kill Bill

5. Django

6. Death Proof

7 Inglorious

Anyone ever seen his unfinished Indie piece My Best Friends Birthday? It's actually pretty cute, you can sort of see the Tarantino-isms all over it, there's even a little Kung Fu scene :lol:

True but then when somethings already been done by Steve McQueen and Peter Lorre and has been directed by Alfred Hitchcock you're kinda punching way above your weight as a Tarantino. Steve McQueens presence alone puts anything above anything else because he is the Messiah.
I have not seen it

He also directed some of Sin City but I don't know the scenes or if he was just sort of a consultant.

Well, QT is not very original! He's basically a fanboy with a camera. I wouldnt rate him amongst the best directors, either all time or of his generation. That being said, he has a way with dialogue but that can also be a detriment because he relies on it too much and while it was clever early on, the shine has worn off and his weakness as a director is more glaring than ever

Edited by Sixes

1. Reservoir Dogs

2. Jackie Brown

3. Pulp Fiction

4. Kill Bill

5. Django

6. Death Proof

7 Inglorious

I have not seen it

He also directed some of Sin City but I don't know the scenes or if he was just soet of a consultant.

Well, QT is not very original! He's basically a fanboy with a camera. I wouldnt rate him amongst the best directors, either all time or of his generation. That being said, he has a way with dialogue but that can also be a detriment because he relies on it too much and while it was clever early on, the shine has worn off and his weakness as a director is more glaring than ever

And y'know, something else i wanna point out, this 'homage' thing tagged on him, 'it's a homage, its a homage!', thats stuffs a bunch of bullshit, it weren't no fuckin' homage with Reservoir Dogs, he was ripping it off, he didn't come out of the gate with Dogs saying that this was some big tribute to movies like The Killing or City on Fire, this was found out/noticed/discovered by some film geek who made a short entitled something like 'who is he trying to kid?', QT tried to deny it at first but then when it was massively obvious he latched onto this deliberate homage thing and has stuck to that notion with his later films but to begin with there was a great deal of charlatanism at play, he wasn't to know Dogs was gonna be massive and the result of that would be that it would be subject to such scrutiny, this homage thing is basically a concept he cooked up in response to getting found out.

• Like 1

Watched the series finale of Haven. It was a great ending. Very satisfying to us fans who have watched it for the whole 5 seasons.

And having William Shatner as the big bad guy was awesome!

Is the series good? or it is one of those type of Teen shit dramas?