Going Down Appreciation Thread [NO LINKS/REQUESTS ALLOWED]

ManetsBR

I listened to it a couple more times yesterday. I certainly don't hate it, but I'm not loving it nearly as much as others. I think a final mix would go a long way for my appreciation.

Hopefully the final version will have more Axl on it.

His background vocals are what turns this from an average song into something special.

I listened to it a couple more times yesterday. I certainly don't hate it, but I'm not loving it nearly as much as others. I think a final mix would go a long way for my appreciation.

His background vocals are what turns this from an average song into something special.

Really? I thought the opposite. I thought his backing vocals were out of place and too high pitched.

Really? I thought the opposite. I thought his backing vocals were out of place and too high pitched.

I see a lot of people saying that on the forum.

Musical preference, I guess!

But I got chills when I heard the high pitched vocals. It reminded me why I love the sound of Axl's voice so much.

I'd kind of accepted the fact that we may never get another album from Axl....or at least not one for several years. But when I heard his backing vocals it just made me really start wishing that we had new songs coming up ASAP!!!

Yeah Axl was the worst part of the song imo

But I got chills when I heard the high pitched vocals. It reminded me why I love the sound of Axl's voice so much.

I'd kind of accepted the fact that we may never get another album from Axl....or at least not one for several years. But when I heard his backing vocals it just made me really start wishing that we had new songs coming up ASAP!!!

I think many of us die-hard fans are so infatuated with the idea of new music from this guy that we'll appreciate anything we get. But I realize sometimes the element that I'm appreciating in the song (just loving the guy's voice) isn't as appealing to average person. For example I listened to those Baz tracks he guested on years back a bunch of times, but without his voice on them I'd have never played them. They weren't particularly good imo, yet I'm such a fan of Axl's voice I didn't even care, I played them over and over. I think Going Down probably works best without Axl's voice from a more 'objective' standpoint of sorts, as it does seem a bit awkward at times and I think the average listener might find it out of place, almost like it's just there because he's Axl and people expect him to be on a GN'R track. I love Axl's voice so much though that for me, hearing him doing those trademark high pitched squeals (even if the rasp is gone) is awesome, and so of course I'm going to prefer hearing the song with him on it. And I do really enjoy (and think this is something he's gotten better at as he's aged) how he's sort of turned his vocals into a real melody-matcher, sometimes he's just kind of whining/rasping a bit over the melody of the song (like on those live KOHD performances since '02) and it's pretty beautiful to be honest, it's kind of what he's doing on Going Down, but I realize someone who isn't a fan of Axl's voice would find it grating.

I think many of us die-hard fans are so infatuated with the idea of new music from this guy that we'll appreciate anything we get. But I realize sometimes the element that I'm appreciating in the song (just loving the guy's voice) isn't as appealing to average person. For example I listened to those Baz tracks he guested on years back a bunch of times, but without his voice on them I'd have never played them. They weren't particularly good imo, yet I'm such a fan of Axl's voice I didn't even care, I played them over and over. I think Going Down probably works best without Axl's voice from a more 'objective' standpoint of sorts, as it does seem a bit awkward at times and I think the average listener might find it out of place, almost like it's just there because he's Axl and people expect him to be on a GN'R track. I love Axl's voice so much though that for me, hearing him doing those trademark high pitched squeals (even if the rasp is gone) is awesome, and so of course I'm going to prefer hearing the song with him on it. And I do really enjoy (and think this is something he's gotten better at as he's aged) how he's sort of turned his vocals into a real melody-matcher, sometimes he's just kind of whining/rasping a bit over the melody of the song (like on those live KOHD performances since '02) and it's pretty beautiful to be honest, it's kind of what he's doing on Going Down, but I realize someone who isn't a fan of Axl's voice would find it grating.

I totally agree with this. I'm a huge fan of Axl's voice, not the high clean voice as much as his 80's/90's rasp, but I still love his singing. I just think the song has to suit his style for it to work. IMO in Going Down it sounds like his vocals are just there because he needed to be on the track. I like the song though.

Having heard Going Down, i think it's sort of safe to say, it isn't a GN'R song. It's a Stinson track, maybe for a Stinson album, with Axl helping out like he did with Seb, supplying some backing vocals, all be them limited. *if* it is a GN'R 2001-2013 track, then it's easy to see why it never made it as a GN'R song on CD, atleast for the moment.

or.. maybe the next GN'R 2001-2013 album (things are going to happen during 2014 - suposedly) will be a mash up, of Dj tracks, Stinson tracks, Buckethead and Brain tracks.. an album to feature Silkworms and two or three other Pittman songs. Let's not forget Robin, maybe Trent/NIN might guest, and while they are at it, have Moby do some mixing. It might not sound very GN'R, but it could be interesting. Reality is, with no Slash, Duff, Izzy, Adler, there is no GN'R

Edited by vaida

Based on the fact that I have only heard it once, it was a terrible song really. Does not remind me of old GNR at all, as some people here think. Reminds me of the worst of the new. That someone believes this will be a hit is beyond me... but then again, with todays standards in popular music, maybe it will. I will give it a few more listens, and hopefully change my mind. Needs more rock n roll, a huge dose of it.

Hope, and believe that it is a Stinson solo project.

Edited by Izzyslash

Based on the fact that I have only heard it once, it was a terrible song really. Does not remind me of old GNR at all, as some people here think. Reminds me of the worst of the new. That someone believes this will be a hit is beyond me... but then again, with todays standards in popular music, maybe it will. I will give it a few more listens, and hopefully change my mind. Needs more rock n roll, a huge dose of it.

Hope, and believe that it is a Stinson solo project.

Agreed. I think that the lack of new material around here drives people insane. Expectations get lowered and I'm not sure why anyone thinks this could be a hit. Not just in today's music, but in general. It's not that good.

It is what it is. In Chinese Democracy you have this huge umbrella of instruments, arrangements and styles. 'Going Down' is like something you would get on a modern day GNR Lies.

Why compare Lies to UYI? Both have value.

ER - I get what you are saying.

Again, just the personal preference thing. Do you like ACDC or Judas Priest better?

Lots of Axl fans hate the high pitched mickey mouse voice.......but I've always liked it over his deep voice or raspy voice. I was listening to some old 90's youtube vids and the rasp sort of ruins a lot of the songs for me.

I love the high pitch mickey mouse voice.

I was listening to some old 90's youtube vids and the rasp sort of ruins a lot of the songs for me.

Finally someone that will agree with me on this one. The full rasp ruined several songs. That being said, the vocals on Going Down are too girly (high pitched) and annoying.

Is Richard playing lead at 324?

Probably Finck.

I was listening to some old 90's youtube vids and the rasp sort of ruins a lot of the songs for me.

Finally someone that will agree with me on this one. The full rasp ruined several songs. That being said, the vocals on Going Down are too girly (high pitched) and annoying.

Probably Finck.

I listened to a bunch of Estrangeds and the first thought was always "wow, this guy has blown his voice out"..........but apparently that's the rasp that everybody loves!

Probably Finck.

I listened to a bunch of Estrangeds and the first thought was always "wow, this guy has blown his voice out"..........but apparently that's the rasp that everybody loves!

I know what you mean. I think 2006 and 2010 have a good use of rasp. Rocket Queen with "mikey" just doesn't work.

Probably Finck.

I know what you mean. I think 2006 and 2010 have a good use of rasp. Rocket Queen with "mikey" just doesn't work.

mikey... lol. he likes it!