Going Down Appreciation Thread [NO LINKS/REQUESTS ALLOWED]

ManetsBR

It's not even as good as dust n bones or 14 years or any other original gnr song without axl on vocals

Maybe you aint the first. Even though I like you aint the first, its still the weakest axl less track the old band ever did. Going Down is better imo.

So for confirmed "working" titles we have-

Jackie Chan

Going Down

Soul Monster

Berlin

Atlas Shrugged

Zodiac

Thyme

Ides of March

The General

Down By The Ocean

and then throw in a new Oh My God and Silkworms and bam! New album

DO IT AXL

Edited by ZoSoRose

Going Down is in my opinion the most solid GNR track since before Chi Dem. IRS and CITR are the only tracks off Chi Dem that had a chance of achieving GNR-worthy momentum, and he bloated the hell out of both. Going Down has the straight-forwardness and spirit that has been missing in rock since GNR went away the first time.

Going Down is disposable radio music/movie montage/credits kind of music, which is not a bad thing at all. It's something that would get play on classic rock stations, alt stations, pop stations, and maybe even newer country stations. I don't think it'd be a number one hit or anything, but I do think it is something that would be successful.

Going Down is in my opinion the most solid GNR track since before Chi Dem. IRS and CITR are the only tracks off Chi Dem that had a chance of achieving GNR-worthy momentum, and he bloated the hell out of both. Going Down has the straight-forwardness and spirit that has been missing in rock since GNR went away the first time.

GNR were never straightforward. there are musical complexities in there that many miss

GNR were never straightforward. there are musical complexities in there that many miss

I agree. Since AFD, it has never been verse-chorus-verse-chorus stuff at all.

So funny.

People will argue that Axl IS GnR - he started the band, he's the heart and soul of the band, he should keep the name because he is the one who started GnR and he "IS" Gnr, and how it doesn't matter that Slash/Duff left, because Axl is the heart and soul of the name GnR................but then a song comes out with a different singer, and people are proclaiming how GnR the song is.

And as for all the "hit" talk. No way in a million years.

Cool song - yes.

But it isn't going to be a hit.

UNLESS their is more Axl on it.

And I thought being a "hit" didn't matter?

When people say that CD had no hits, a certain section on here goes rabid with saying how hits DONT MATTER and that this band has integrity and isn't Justin bieber just trying to make "hits...............but then a GnR song comes out that they like, now all of a sudden having a hit is a relevant thing?

Only on this forum. Arguments change depending on how it effects Axl.

So funny.

People will argue that Axl IS GnR - he started the band, he's the heart and soul of the band, he should keep the name because he is the one who started GnR and he "IS" Gnr, and how it doesn't matter that Slash/Duff left, because Axl is the heart and soul of the name GnR................but then a song comes out with a different singer, and people are proclaiming how GnR the song is.

You are arguing 2 different things. I think that's why people give you shit beause you use one argument to support another.

Going Down is disposable radio music/movie montage/credits kind of music, which is not a bad thing at all. It's something that would get play on classic rock stations, alt stations, pop stations, and maybe even newer country stations. I don't think it'd be a number one hit or anything, but I do think it is something that would be successful.

Agreed.

So has anyone started mixing it to sound better on Stereo Headphones? I've only got Vox in the right ear, and music in the left...

The night it got out, there was a "remaster" clip going around with everything centered in the mix. Assuming somebody is working on a newer better mix as well.

the first minute is cool. between going down, better, and prostitute -- robin's got a thing for those similarly sounding intro riffs.

the lyrics aren't opaque and cheesy like chinese.

Yeah I was just coming on here to say how much I love that intro. Perfect use of the multiple guitar styles through the song.

Overall-- I've been a fan of Tommy's solo work before listening to Nu-GnR and it's an amazing collaborative effort on this song. I think it's fucking fantastic and is a perfect new car commercial, road trip to vegas, radio friendly type a tune. Great driving song.

Also the drums, assuming it's Frank, really accent the song niceley-- positively-charged and hooky.

The intro is both Robin (the guitar on the right channel) and Ron (left channel) as highvoltage described. The riffs following them are all Ron (fretless sliding). The solo is probably Robin (Wah) and Ron (Fretless). The high notes following the solo sound like Robin (Ron on the left) and the lead near the ending (on the left) with the killswitch is Bucket. Ron is doing the rhythm on the left throughout, Robin's on the right throughout. That's my take anyway. The acoustic could be anyone, even Tommy himself - if I had to bet I'd even say Tommy tbh.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

The intro is both Robin (the guitar on the right channel) and Ron (left channel) as highvoltage described. The riffs following them are all Ron (fretless sliding). The solo is probably Robin (Wah) and Ron (Fretless). The high notes following the solo sound like Robin (Ron on the left) and the lead near the ending (on the left) with the killswitch is Bucket. Ron is doing the rhythm on the left throughout, Robin's on the right throughout. That's my take anyway. The acoustic could be anyone, even Tommy himself - if I had to bet I'd even say Tommy tbh.

I don't get why richard's so left out like that.