Does Going Down has potential to be a hit?

ManetsBR

As Axlsalinger said, if this incarnation of Guns had put out a few songs previously and promoted them to a decent enough level that the band was much more back into the average listener's consciousness, I believe that it could be a solid single. Obviously the fact that Axl isn't the main vocalist might make people unsure but it's a solid enough tune.

I showed to all my friends, even those that don't like Rock, and the vast majority said it's a great and catchy song. Those who know Chinese Democracy said it's better than half of the album. This is the opinion of non-GNR fans, which I think it's pretty relevant for this question.

And of course there's a chorus, what the fuck? "Sick of everything you say..."

Edited by ManetsBR

Sorry, the answer is no. It's about a tiny fraction as likely to be a main stream hit as Dust and Bones was in 1992. The primary difference is that Dust and Bones was released in a time when there was a hunger for GnR material, it's a better song, and still nobody cared about it.

Edited by Oh My Choking Soul

This track does feel like a genuine GNR song so haters can suck on the ugly stick that just fell out of their ass

THIS. It sounds WAY more like GNR than anything on CD.

nope. completely the opposite. CD is full of typically GNR-like structures... don't let the production and surface confuse you. CD is a GNR record. no question about it. Going Down, however, has no connection whatsoever to anything that made a GNR song a GNR song. This is a TOMMY song, not a GNR song. listen to Village Gorilla Head, it's full of songs similar to this

This track does feel like a genuine GNR song so haters can suck on the ugly stick that just fell out of their ass

THIS. It sounds WAY more like GNR than anything on CD.

nope. completely the opposite. CD is full of typically GNR-like structures... don't let the production and surface confuse you. CD is a GNR record. no question about it. Going Down, however, has no connection whatsoever to anything that made a GNR song a GNR song. This is a TOMMY song, not a GNR song. listen to Village Gorilla Head, it's full of songs similar to this

LOL, no - CD sounds like an Axl record.

• Like 1

I think it's kind of generic, and that is a plus in this market. If they played up the country element and Nickelback played it. Got some Foo Fighters feel. It's probably still too punk rock n roll today. It's a bit like Soul Ayslum. Which is weirs cos Street of Dreams sounds like Stand Up and Be Strong.

Not in a million years. Nobody gives a fuck about a Tommy Stinson song in the real world.

¬¬'

Who cares about whose song is it? Do you think any regular radio listener, casual rock fan is gonna listen to the song and think "Yeah, that's a cool song, but it's a Tommy Stinson song man..." Really? What I can really picture is something a casual rock listener turning up the volume, even if just for curiosity, as soon as the DJ announce they're gonna play the new Guns N' Roses song.

There are people hate Guns N' Roses so much nowadays that they'll want to listen just to criticise. And then they'll realise it's actually a good song.

This song has a big hit potential.

A Tommy Stinson sung song gets no airplay whatsoever. And you are completely delusional if you believe otherwise.

With the GnR name attached to it, it would get initial airplay, and if it people liked it why wouldn't they continue to play it?

People on here are so starved for new music that they've convinced themselves that Goin' Down is a great song as opposed to the generic rock song that it is in reality.

Generic rock songs make up most of rock radio songs. :shrugs:

Put it next to Jungle, YCBM, SCOM, Nov Rain, PC and Goin Down pales in comparison.

But it could be like track 2, it has a fatalistic sensibility of Easy or Shackler's.

Jackie Chan

Goin' Down

Soul Monster

Down by the Ocean

Atlas Shrugged

Exactly what I'm trying to say. This song is so generic, in a good way, that I can definetly see it being a hit. Again, this is no different from any Nickelback hit or most of the Foo Fighters hit. Generic rock. Easy to digest rock. Doesn't take much of you.

But this GNR they aren't going to want to have a hit like that.

Although, look at Lies or Patience, it's kind of possible some track like this...

There just hasn't been a rock hit for anyone so an actual Billboard hit seems impossible.

Especially punk rock. Even Green Day have gone stadium rock.

Edited by wasted

Why would you want GNR to have a generic modern rock hit? GNR is supposed to be better than that. And again, no radio station is going to put a GNR song in regular rotation that doesn't feature Axl Rose on lead vocals.

Edited by Randy Lahey

What made GNR big was capturing the metal audience, the classic rock fans, AND the pop market. Megadeth fans would hear AFD and feel it was heavy and hard enough to be cool even if SCOM was gay they bought it. Paradise City got all the classic rock fans thinking they are Led Zepp, then SCOM got the teenage girls.

Goin' Down hits the under current of GNR from which they came, a lot of the fatalistic attitude on AFD. So I'd see it as It's So Easy. It will bring in a certain section. But not the major markets to be a hit. Zero cross over appeal. It has street cred though.

If Better, ITW and TIL can't be hits...

I agress about the generic rock with punk being kind of the thing right now. American Hipsters the new single from GNR.

GNR were the Ferris Bueller of their day. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adored them.

Axl's Day Off has lasted for a few years now.

I see Goin Down as a way to trick punk rockers into buying CD II.

Then Pitman can open the album with a synth solo of ear raping awesomeness.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

I don't think it has hit potential personally. Axl isn't on vocals and I doubt anyone would be that enthusiastic about a Tommy fronted GNR tune

Plus while it is a good song and I quite like it, it isn't the most amazing thing either. Great, but not mindblowing.