What killed Chinese Democracy?

Vincent Vega

Guest Len B'stard

lack of talent.

Is that Lenny posting in the main forum???? lol

I wander by every so often but its not something i do frequently for the simple fact that there is no functioning band to post about soooo :shrugs:

lack of talent.

Is that Lenny posting in the main forum???? lol

I wander by every so often but its not something i do frequently for the simple fact that there is no functioning band to post about soooo :shrugs:

I know, I was just busting your balls mate.

Its funny to me watching everyone go crazy over these leaks. Its like 06' all over again. I even logged in to newgnr (my old forum), and their were new members on their. That place has been dead for over a year now. lol, crazy gnr fans.

I think Chinese Democracy is an awesome record as it is and nothing killed it. It will be appreciated a lot more in the future.

I think I'd enjoy your world.

What prevents you from joining my world? :popcorn:

that it's a socio-psychotic state of bliss?

Edited by Jabberwocky

Axl's production. He needs to bring in an outsider to produce the next album. It's weird, because it would have been super easy to improve just about every song on Chinese Democracy. Except maybe Riad N' The Bedouins. I would have told Axl to delete that one.

FOr me the album nose dived when:

the songs sucked

starting with the 2001/2002 concerts and that came on the heals of OMG.

The silence of the camp GNR

If they are not excited then why the fuck should we be excited?

the songs sucked.

To many unrealistic expectations associated with this project. The old band was too ingrained and too popular to suddenly change everybodies expectations and knowledge of GNR and what it should be but more importantly how it should sound.

The songs really really sucked.

no personality associated with this band. No one knows and few give a shit who is in the band outside of few nerds on MyGNR.com.

The songs really really really suck.

Nothing important or topical is being told in the songs. Too much noise.

I'm quite sure that the majority of the ones criticising the record haven't even given the album a fair chance from the get go.

WTF does that even mean?

Either something sounds good to your ears or it doesn't. If you have to "give it a chance," which what I think you'd rather say is "listen to it until you can bear it," it's proving the point of those criticizing. It's not good.

The album isn't an enigma. You don't have to ponder it and try to figure it out to properly "give it a chance."

Is there a need to evaluate Katy Perry or Justin Bieber with multiple listens? No. Why? Because it's all the same empty crap. GNR fans making excuses like the one you made is twisted stockholm syndrome. "Listen to it enough and you'll love the turd." No, thanks. Either something sounds good to someone or it doesn't. The cries of agenda are pathetic.

I'm quite sure that the majority of the ones criticising the record haven't even given the album a fair chance from the get go.

WTF does that even mean?

Either something sounds good to your ears or it doesn't. If you have to "give it a chance," which what I think you'd rather say is "listen to it until you can bear it," it's proving the point of those criticizing. It's not good.

The album isn't an enigma. You don't have to ponder it and try to figure it out to properly "give it a chance."

Is there a need to evaluate Katy Perry or Justin Bieber with multiple listens? No. Why? Because it's all the same empty crap. GNR fans making excuses like the one you made is twisted stockholm syndrome. "Listen to it enough and you'll love the turd." No, thanks. Either something sounds good to someone or it doesn't. The cries of agenda are pathetic.

You're telling me that every great song you've ever heard, sounded good to you immediately?

The thing with Justin Bieber and Katy Perry is that you don't really need to evaluate their music with multiple listens cause you hear it enough on the radio anyway.

Besides pop music is always the same. When you've heard one song you've heard pretty much all of them. The song structure is almost the same in every pop song and the chorus must be repeated a lot in an almost brainwashing manner. So that it surely sticks in your head.

The point of pop music is to sell as many records as possible. That's why the songwriters try to make songs that sound immediately good. In other words pre-digested music. Nothing too experimental. And that's exactly what's killing music. Creativity dies when everyone wants the same old crap. Stuff that sounds familiar enough. Stuff that sounds immediately good.

Chinese Democracy is almost the complete opposite of that. Many songs have almost no chorus at all. The songstructures are very different from the usual. When something is different from the usual you often need to listen to it more than a couple of times to fully understand it.

I don't know about you, but everytime I hear a song that sounds different than most shit out there, I want to give it another chance even if it didn't sound all that good at first. That doesn't happen very often though, as most artists care more about money than about creating something actually new.

A lot of classical music for example needs multiple listens before you can really appreciate them. The songs are so long that it's hard to understand the wholeness of the song on the first listen. But once you understand the song it becomes something really special.

Overlayering and lack of recording the songs in a more organic way as opposed to the copy/pasting of tracks years apart in my view probably changed the vibe of the album

Plus a couple of more memorable rockers would have helped IMO

Guest cbgnr666

WTF does that even mean?

You're telling me that every great song you've ever heard, sounded good to you immediately?

The thing with Justin Bieber and Katy Perry is that you don't really need to evaluate their music with multiple listens cause you hear it enough on the radio anyway.

Besides pop music is always the same. When you've heard one song you've heard pretty much all of them. The song structure is almost the same in every pop song and the chorus must be repeated a lot in an almost brainwashing manner. So that it surely sticks in your head.

The point of pop music is to sell as many records as possible. That's why the songwriters try to make songs that sound immediately good. In other words pre-digested music. Nothing too experimental. And that's exactly what's killing music. Creativity dies when everyone wants the same old crap. Stuff that sounds familiar enough. Stuff that sounds immediately good.

Chinese Democracy is almost the complete opposite of that. Many songs have almost no chorus at all. The songstructures are very different from the usual. When something is different from the usual you often need to listen to it more than a couple of times to fully understand it.

I don't know about you, but everytime I hear a song that sounds different than most shit out there, I want to give it another chance even if it didn't sound all that good at first. That doesn't happen very often though, as most artists care more about money than about creating something actually new.

A lot of classical music for example needs multiple listens before you can really appreciate them. The songs are so long that it's hard to understand the wholeness of the song on the first listen. But once you understand the song it becomes something really special.

I agree,and also would include the best songs from the UYI albums as well,as songs that require multiple listens. Edited by cbgnr666

I think Chinese Democracy is an awesome record as it is and nothing killed it. It will be appreciated a lot more in the future.

I dunno, when CD came out people were like "give it a couple of years for Axl to tour it and it will take off". When 2 or 3 years actually approached and the album still didn't take the world by the storm people were like "give it more time". And we did and nothing happened

It is approaching a half a decade since the album came out, I think the album is going to stay where it has been staying this whole time.

Edited by WhazUp

Seems like this comes up every now and again and we end up going in the same circles, but I'll throw my $.02 out there again:

For me, I genuinely love the album. Better is probably my favorite GN'R song and the solo in TIL is definitely my favorite solo in the history of GN'R. So for me, the album is a success. I wanted it to be released eventually and be great. It was eventually released and I think it's great so it's a win/win for me.

• Like 1

Songs that require multiple listens to appreciate are typically fillers. An album full of fillers isn't great or even good. It's at best mediocre for any band. If it doesn't grab you right away, most people will not say, "I'll listen to it another 100 times then decide." To suggest(like the poster did) that most people critical of the album haven't given a chance is hardcore crap.

Bars have been lowered to the point where hardcore fans expect people to play a game of chinese water torture to decide what's "good," while at the same time drooling over Goin' Down. :rolleyes:

Guest cbgnr666

I dunno, when CD came out people were like "give it a couple of years for Axl to tour it and it will take off". When 2 or 3 years actually approached and the album still didn't take the world by the storm people were like "give it more time". And we did and nothing happened

It is approaching a half a decade since the album came out, I think the album is going to stay where it has been staying this whole time.

No doubt it will ,the music isn't for everyone.Also if it took some fairly big fans of gnr months or even years too fully appreciate the album or certain songs on the album,I can see why. Edited by cbgnr666

Musically, the rock songs are not rocky and ballsy enough. There's a lack of 'You Could Be Mine' kinda songs. Ballads are biblical. A couple of "modern" rock tune got it, as the title track and 'IRS', but the rest is not in the same great league.

Beside this, it was a too much talked, too much awaited album, made with people fans used to look at as the wrong ones, in too much time with too much delays after delays...

Anyway, when it came out, I'm sure there were chances to build it up in some way. But with no promotion, no Axl, no gigs...failed.