Great TV shows that turned into shit shows (In your opinion)

CheapJon

Your favorite shows that had a great feel to it but eventually turned to shit. Could be after just a few episodes or after several seasons. I think this could maybe stir up some emotions if someone calls your favorite show "shit". But maybe that could lead to good discussions (yeah right).

Here are the shows that inspired the thread:

Warning, minor spoilers ahead.

The Walking Dead - First season was pretty awesome. At least the first couple of episodes, was kinda disappointed after the season 1 finale if I remember correctly but I gave the second season a chance. Stopped watching it after 3 or 4 eisodes, think it was when they got to some farm and the kid had been shot or something Bad acting, just walking and talking. No excitement at all.

Dexter - Started watching it after the Axl chats. Was hooked instantly. First 2 seasons are my favorite ones and I watched them in about 2 days. To me it probably should have ended right then and there. Seasons 3 with Miguel Prado was shit. Lithgow was pretty cool but the relationshit sucked. The finale made me keep watching it, it was just what I wanted, only to have it turn to shit again in s05 and s06. S07 got a little better and it got me excited about the eventual last season that is currently on the air. So how's the 8th and final season of Dexter? It's shit. Only reason I watch it is because it's the last season.

Californication - First few seasons were great. Story was both interresting and funny. Charachters were cool. But it got worse and worse. The season that started last year was the last I saw of the show, and I actually didn't mean to stop watching it. It just had gotten so bad that 2 mondays in a row I forgot to download it. When it hit me that I hadn't watched the latest episodes I just thought "why bother? it's shit anyway. I had forced myself to watch it lately The only likeable charachter left in the show was supporting charachter Charlie Runkle. Everything else was shitty. There were still hot chick and drugs but that was not the appeal to me.

Weeds - Funny and charming show about the neighbour hood milf who starts to grow and sell weed. Loved it right away just as with the before mentioned shows. The first seasons were the best like with most shows. I think the turning point was when they left Agrestic. I liked the series finale but it couldn't save the show.

Nip/Tuck's first two seasons were brilliant, each episode a masterpiece. Then the third season had some very good moments, but the main theme with the serial killer was lame. The fourth season was decent, but after that, it became unwatchable.

I disagree about Weeds but I know I'm in the minority. You're right about Californication.

House was cool in the beginning but suffered from being too repetitive. Almost every episode is the same format and it gets boring after a while.

They dragged Weeds out for way too long...

House was interesting in the beginning, but lulled pretty hard in the middle (when he had his interns and shit), but I liked the last couple seasons.

edit: The Simpsons. Haven't been keeping up with the recent seasons but what I do catch is just garbage. The writers aren't even trying, and they're not even trying to hide the fact that they're not trying.

Edited by RickRoses

Weeds - Funny and charming show about the neighbour hood milf who starts to grow and sell weed. Loved it right away just as with the before mentioned shows. The first seasons were the best like with most shows. I think the turning point was when they left Agrestic. I liked the series finale but it couldn't save the show.

Spot on.... Weeds was one of my favorite TV shows when they were in Agrestic. i still watched every season regardless, but it really went downhill. And that finale...... ugh.

Pretty much every long running TV show ever, except COPS

So pretty much every long running TV show ever has been a favorite of yours and you've considered them all great? Well good for you then.

Little cranky eh? All I'm saying is that "great shows turning into shit" is extremely common. Writers change, formulas grow stale, fresh ideas on how to have characters interract run out, its the famous story of nearly every major TV production. Every show peaks and then tapers off at some point, a better question would be: what great shows have managed to stay great after several seasons?

Not trying to shit on your thread, that's just my response to it

I'll add that Arrested Developement should have stayed canceled, that netflix season was pretty boring aside from the first few Tobias episodes. I couldn't finish it.

Edited by sweetness

So pretty much every long running TV show ever has been a favorite of yours and you've considered them all great? Well good for you then.

Little cranky eh? All I'm saying is that "great shows turning into shit" is extremely common. Writers change, formulas grow stale, fresh ideas on how to have characters interract run out, its the famous story of nearly every major TV production. Every show peaks and then tapers off at some point, a better question would be: what great shows have managed to stay great after several seasons?

I'll add that Arrested Developement should have stayed canceled, that netflix season was pretty boring aside from the first few Tobias episodes. I couldn't finish it.

I don't understand the love for Arrested Development. Never watched it while it was airing, but kept hearing about how great it was so eventually I went back and re-watched it, and it was still mostly crap. :shrugs:

Are you serious? It was the most brilliant wrting I've ever come across.

Not really, I actually tried to not sound cranky. Figured you had kinda misinterpret the thread. I'm not talking about every other average show that's dipped in quality. I'm asking about shows you thought were great but you can now barely stand. If there are loads of shows like that, then this thread seem to be a great place to mention and discuss them, right?

You're free to ask your "better" question in some spin-off thread.

I loved Arrested Development when I watched it a year ago. I watched the whole series in 4 days or something. Haven't watched the new netflix season due to the mixed reviews, alsoI heard it was sort of shitty aside from Tobias.

I wouldn't say Dexter turned into shit it just drooped off a little bit I mean its still okay.

"Ok" Doesn't cut it for me. I don't like "ok" shows. I think it sadly dropped off more than a little bit.

Edited by CheapJon

I disagree about Weeds but I know I'm in the minority. You're right about Californication.

House was cool in the beginning but suffered from being too repetitive. Almost every episode is the same format and it gets boring after a while.

I agree.

Weeds never turned into shit until....well..um..the final episode.

Other than that... :awesomeface:

Edited by SunnyDRE

The Walking Dead and House MD.

I was afraid that Sons of Anarchy would suffer the same fate after a rather meh season 4 but man, season 5 was probably the best.

No waaay, man.

SOA is one of the shows that should on the top of these type of lists.

It has gotten ridiculously bad ever since that "white power" season...

Oh man.....you should really try to watch it again.

I was prepared to hate it and was doing just that...until...about the 5th episode.

It won me over.

Maybe it'll never live up to the "hype", but Netflix did a damn good job.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Dexter, Weeds, Californication and True Blood all turned to shit after Season 2.

Never seen Californication

True Blood, Dexter, and Weeds "best season" is after the 2nd...according to most critics and fans....

C'mon Randy..

Edited by SunnyDRE

Dexter, Weeds, Californication and True Blood all turned to shit after Season 2.

Never seen Californication

True Blood, Dexter, and Weeds "best season" is after the 2nd...according to most critics and fans....

C'mon Randy..

That's simply not true. You just have extremely poor taste.

Edited by Randy Lahey