Great TV shows that turned into shit shows (In your opinion)

CheapJon

Dexter, Weeds, Californication and True Blood all turned to shit after Season 2.

Never seen Californication

True Blood, Dexter, and Weeds "best season" is after the 2nd...according to most critics and fans....

C'mon Randy..

That's simply not true. You just have extremely poor taste.

Actually it is true. I'm sure you are aware of IMDB and sites like it. I'm sure you can read.

Meh.. on the second part of your post.....maybe you're right 'bout my "taste" and such, but you like Chinese Democracy..*shrugs*

Guess it all equals out..

Edited by SunnyDRE

Dexter, Weeds, Californication and True Blood all turned to shit after Season 2.

True Blood, Dexter, and Weeds "best season" is after the 2nd...according to most critics and fans....

C'mon Randy..

Meh..maybe.

You like Chinese Democracy..*shrugs*

I may like Chinese Democracy, but I still wouldn't try and tell somebody that it is more well regarded amongst fans and critics than any of the previous original GNR studio albums.

C'mon Randy..

Meh..maybe.

You like Chinese Democracy..*shrugs*

I may like Chinese Democracy, but I still wouldn't try and tell somebody that it is more well regarded amongst fans and critics than any of the previous original GNR studio albums.

You do it on a daily basis buddy...

Anyway the shows you mentioned, their most acclaim season/got press/attention was well after the second season.

Quick search on IMDB or Amazon reviews will confirm that.

Don't let Sunny bother you. He is an admitted cupcake.

No I'm not.

I'm a admitted, I don't give a damn if you think I'm a cupcake...

Just like 99% of everyone else who posts here.....you idiot.

Simpsons: Seasons 2 through seven or eight were iconic, but it's been fairly inconsistent since then.

Seinfeld: This is my favourite sitcom of all time, but after Larry David left the show it became a shadow of itself. Still better than anything else on television at the time (for its genre), but characters stopped becoming funny because of what they said and more because of who they were. Which brings me to...

Friends: Great first couple of seasons, then most jokes were based on the characters. By this I mean, people would laugh because "that's so Joe" rather than whatever Joe said being actually funny. And it stopped being a show about friends when everyone started fucking each other.

True Blood: Fantastic first season, great follow up season, and almost unwatchable ever since (with exception of season five, which improved slightly). Lately it just feels like they've been making it up ("Sookie, because you're only half fairy you can't use this super weapon I'm about to teach you unless you want to stop being a fairy" - wtf). Season 4 was utter garbage. The show has way too many characters who have little to do with each other.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: First three, maybe four seasons were solid, but they seem to be running out of ideas since then. The episode where they tried to figure out who pooped the bed made me think the tank was beginning to dry up.

Lost: I loved the whole series and really liked where they took things later on, but I'll admit that seasons 1 and 2 were way better than what followed. I'm one of the few that defends the ending of the show (to a certain degree), but shows that are based on mystery rarely satisfy imposed expectations.

Sopranos: didn't even bother watching the final season. The first three season were great, but the show really dragged. The plot moved so slowly at times I wondered if they couldn't figure out what to do with the show.

I would say Dexter, but I never really liked the beginning. Gave it a chance by watching the first two seasons, but the show was so paper thin and lacking in depth that I just couldn't get into it. One of the most overrated shows in my opinion.

Edited by downzy

Guest Len B'stard

Frazier, Seinfeld, Friends, ugh, somebody fuckin' shoot me please..awful shows, full stop.

Edited by sugaraylen

Agree with a lot of downzy's post. Even if it's a bit of a stretch to say some of those shows turned to shit.

Simpsons is really the obvious choice. Friends descended into 'Joey said something stupid!' 'Phoebe did something weird!' 'Ross pulled a funny face!'. I've not watched Always Sunny in years. Once you understand the dynamics etc nothing really changes.

I couldn't even watch Community season 4. It was pretty appalling. Fingers crossed Dan Harmon might save it.

I watched the last season of Californication when I was pretty ill and basically stuck with it because Steve Jones turned up every now and then. I liked the first season but I think pretty much since then I've just been waiting for it to be about something again. I think I like that show a lot more in theory than I do in reality.

I never watched Prison Break but how did a show about people breaking out of prison ever get past one season? I've always heard the first season was alright and then it just went awful.

Scrubs turned to shit after Elliott & JD got married. Even though Donald Faison is one of my favorite actors, he alone couldn't save the show after most of the regulars left.

Married With Children turned to shit once they added Seven. Don't all sitcoms turn to shit when they add a new kid to the cast?

The Office turned to shit after Carell left, obviously.

Seinfeld: This is my favourite sitcom of all time, but after Larry David left the show it became a shadow of itself. Still better than anything else on television at the time (for its genre), but characters stopped becoming funny because of what they said and more because of who they were.

Glad to see sitcoms finally mentioned, but I disagree with Seinfeld. Take for instance the final season:

The backwards episode, unique with a great storyline.

Good naked and bad naked, the germophobe.

Elaine's new boyfriend - is he black?

Serenity Now.

The Merv Kramer Show.

Sleeping with the maid.

I never stopped enjoying that show, even without David they could have gone on for another 5 years or more.

Edited by The Linguini Occurrence

Agree with a lot of downzy's post. Even if it's a bit of a stretch to say some of those shows turned to shit.

Simpsons is really the obvious choice. Friends descended into 'Joey said something stupid!' 'Phoebe did something weird!' 'Ross pulled a funny face!'. I've not watched Always Sunny in years. Once you understand the dynamics etc nothing really changes.

I couldn't even watch Community season 4. It was pretty appalling. Fingers crossed Dan Harmon might save it.

I watched the last season of Californication when I was pretty ill and basically stuck with it because Steve Jones turned up every now and then. I liked the first season but I think pretty much since then I've just been waiting for it to be about something again. I think I like that show a lot more in theory than I do in reality.

I never watched Prison Break but how did a show about people breaking out of prison ever get past one season? I've always heard the first season was alright and then it just went awful.

The first season of Prison Break was genius, the second season is actually them out of prison and on the run, it wasnt as good as the first but was still very good, the third season was when it went to shit, I struggled my way through that hoping that the fourth would be better but instead of getting better it got even worse and i stopped watching and to this day dont know what happened in the end

Edited by sturginho

Scrubs turned to shit after Elliott & JD got married. Even though Donald Faison is one of my favorite actors, he alone couldn't save the show after most of the regulars left.

Married With Children turned to shit once they added Seven. Don't all sitcoms turn to shit when they add a new kid to the cast?

The Office turned to shit after Carell left, obviously.

The last season of Scrubs was a spin-off in all but name though, wasn't it? I didnt't watch it.

The last season of Scrubs was a spin-off in all but name though, wasn't it? I didnt't watch it.

Basically, even the setting was changed to a school instead of a hospital. They just continued to use the same original show name as a way to squeeze viewers out of the old show's fans.

Hmmmmm ... sounds familiar, dunnit? :awesomeface:

Basically, even the setting was changed to a school instead of a hospital. They just continued to use the same original show name as a way to squeeze viewers out of the old show's fans.

Hmmmmm ... sounds familiar, dunnit? :awesomeface:

There's an important distinction to be made: the decision to keep the name was made by the executives, not the show creators.