Great TV shows that turned into shit shows (In your opinion)

CheapJon

Seinfeld: This is my favourite sitcom of all time, but after Larry David left the show it became a shadow of itself. Still better than anything else on television at the time (for its genre), but characters stopped becoming funny because of what they said and more because of who they were.

Glad to see sitcoms finally mentioned, but I disagree with Seinfeld. Take for instance the final season:

The backwards episode, unique with a great storyline.

Good naked and bad naked, the germophobe.

Elaine's new boyfriend - is he black?

Serenity Now.

The Merv Kramer Show.

Sleeping with the maid.

I never stopped enjoying that show, even without David they could have gone on for another 5 years or more.

Yeah, there were some memorable characters and storylines from season seven onward, but it just felt like a shadow of itself afterward. Characters became glorified versions of themselves. George seemed like a very real, very neurotic person in the first five seasons, after that he was just a cartoon. Those episodes you list were great (or had some great moments), but they weren't iconic like the contest, the parking lot, the chinese restaurant, the airport pick up, b.o., George pretending to a be a marine biologist. When you think of the truly great Seinfeld episodes, most would identify such episodes that belong to the first five seasons.

Again, I loved the entire show, but the last two or three season just don't measure up to the first four or five.

Edited by downzy

The last season of Scrubs was a spin-off in all but name though, wasn't it? I didnt't watch it.

Basically, even the setting was changed to a school instead of a hospital. They just continued to use the same original show name as a way to squeeze viewers out of the old show's fans.

Hmmmmm ... sounds familiar, dunnit? :awesomeface:

That gave me a good chuckle lol

Yeah, there were some memorable characters and storylines from season seven onward, but it just felt like a shadow of itself afterward. Characters became glorified versions of themselves. George seemed like a very real, very neurotic person in the first five seasons, after that he was just a cartoon. Those episodes you list were great (or had some great moments), but they weren't iconic like the contest, the parking lot, the chinese restaurant, the airport pick up, b.o., George pretending to a be a marine biologist. When you think of the truly great Seinfeld episodes, most would identify such episodes that belong to the first five seasons.

Again, I loved the entire show, but the last two or three season just don't measure up to the first four or five.

I just was looking at the DVD set in a Walmart recently, one of these days I'll buy the whole set and then see if there does seem to be a noticeable peak in the middle seasons. But I really don't like the first couple seasons that much, when there was no laughtrack and they sprinkled bits of Jerry's actual standup routine throughout each episode. From what I remember, it didn't really start getting great until around Season 3. But damn I loved that show, it probably is my favorite all-time.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: First three, maybe four seasons were solid, but they seem to be running out of ideas since then. The episode where they tried to figure out who pooped the bed made me think the tank was beginning to dry up.

I downloaded seasons 1-6, and I just watched the "Who Pooped the Bed?" episode last night. It wasn't terrible, but not great. Dee in the shoe store was funny.

Dexter, True Blood, The Simpsons, Skins. Futurama never really got back to the same quality as the first four seasons either. I couldn't get through the second season of Friday Night Lights but apparently it picks up again in the later seasons.

Anybody saying Lost should really re-watch it. That show is great second time around.

The Office turned to shit after Carell left, obviously.

They had no idea what to do with that show once he left. I got through maybe half the season that followed his departure... :no:

The last two seasons of that show was so awful. It was like watching an old friend getting raped.

• 2 weeks later...

The Office turned to shit after Carell left, obviously.

They had no idea what to do with that show once he left. I got through maybe half the season that followed his departure... :no:

They should have just made a 2 hour TV movie a year and a half later instead of season 8 and 9. Once David and Michael ran into each other, the show ran its course.

There were some funny moments.

Breaking Bad is still fairly good I think. Lost really "lost" it after seasons 3/4. I thought The Office was pretty solid up until the last season which was completely abysmal.

:question:

I can't see how some people actually think Breaking Bad has gone downhill at all. I think every season has been better than the last, but maybe that's just me...

I can't see how some people actually think Breaking Bad has gone downhill at all. I think every season has been better than the last, but maybe that's just me...

I have been equally pleased with all seasons of BB up until these last 3 episodes. I thought the first two were pretty boring, and the third one did start to pick up just after the half way mark. They keep showing us these scenes from the future (1 year in the future to be exact) where Walt has a machine gun in his trunk, a beard, a full head of hair, and fake ID's... when does this happen... how are they going to show us this transition in the next 5 episodes. Clearly something goes terribly wrong, I think they should have turned up the intensity meter by now. That being said, I am confident that it will pick up, I'm just wanting it to have picked up earlier.

I have been equally pleased with all seasons of BB up until these last 3 episodes. I thought the first two were pretty boring, and the third one did start to pick up just after the half way mark. They keep showing us these scenes from the future (1 year in the future to be exact) where Walt has a machine gun in his trunk, a beard, a full head of hair, and fake ID's... when does this happen... how are they going to show us this transition in the next 5 episodes. Clearly something goes terribly wrong, I think they should have turned up the intensity meter by now. That being said, I am confident that it will pick up, I'm just wanting it to have picked up earlier.

I mean personally, I think these have been some of the most intense episodes of the whole series. And it's not like they haven't done the flashforwards before - they did it in season 2 with the plane crash. But to each their own I guess :shrugs:

I can not get into the new season of Arrested Development. I've tried watching the first couple of episodes but I just hated them. I believe the problem is the format. While I love all of the characters, mainly because I can see parts of myself in them, at their core, they can all be a bit annoying. This is generally fine, because they are all always interacting with each other, and when one character may start getting a bit annoying, you can quickly focus on another one's quirks. However, when you focus an entire episode on one character, by the end of the episode I am left hating them. I also feel they lost the great chemistry of the ensemble cast by just focusing on one character per episode.

For some reason I also can't stand the narration, which was never a problem for me in the past.

I do love the ShowStealer Pro Trial joke though.

Edited by Ricky_Rose

I can not get into the new season of Arrested Development. I've tried watching the first couple of episodes but I just hated them. I believe the problem is the format. While I love all of the characters, mainly because I can see parts of myself in them, at their core, they can all be a bit annoying. This is generally fine, because they are all always interacting with each other, and when one character may start getting a bit annoying, you can quickly focus on another one's quirks. However, when you focus an entire episode on one character, by the end of the episode I am left hating them. I also feel they lost the great chemistry of the ensemble cast by just focusing on one character per episode.

For some reason I also can't stand the narration, which was never a problem for me in the past.

The first three episodes are the worst of the season. They're mostly setting up jokes that don't become clear until later. If you love the characters I would recommend sticking with it.

I still loved the first one but apparently I'm in the minority on that one. The George Senior/Oscar storyline is by far the weakest.

Simpsons: Seasons 2 through seven or eight were iconic, but it's been fairly inconsistent since then.

Seinfeld: This is my favourite sitcom of all time, but after Larry David left the show it became a shadow of itself. Still better than anything else on television at the time (for its genre), but characters stopped becoming funny because of what they said and more because of who they were. Which brings me to...

Friends: Great first couple of seasons, then most jokes were based on the characters. By this I mean, people would laugh because "that's so Joe" rather than whatever Joe said being actually funny. And it stopped being a show about friends when everyone started fucking each other.

True Blood: Fantastic first season, great follow up season, and almost unwatchable ever since (with exception of season five, which improved slightly). Lately it just feels like they've been making it up ("Sookie, because you're only half fairy you can't use this super weapon I'm about to teach you unless you want to stop being a fairy" - wtf). Season 4 was utter garbage. The show has way too many characters who have little to do with each other.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: First three, maybe four seasons were solid, but they seem to be running out of ideas since then. The episode where they tried to figure out who pooped the bed made me think the tank was beginning to dry up.

Lost: I loved the whole series and really liked where they took things later on, but I'll admit that seasons 1 and 2 were way better than what followed. I'm one of the few that defends the ending of the show (to a certain degree), but shows that are based on mystery rarely satisfy imposed expectations.

Sopranos: didn't even bother watching the final season. The first three season were great, but the show really dragged. The plot moved so slowly at times I wondered if they couldn't figure out what to do with the show.

I would say Dexter, but I never really liked the beginning. Gave it a chance by watching the first two seasons, but the show was so paper thin and lacking in depth that I just couldn't get into it. One of the most overrated shows in my opinion.

Completely agree with True Blood....used to be my favorite show but to much fairies shit going on an d everyone turning vamp......

Sopranos was on the slide when they finally ended it...the ending just sucked.......no closure....

The first three episodes are the worst of the season. They're mostly setting up jokes that don't become clear until later. If you love the characters I would recommend sticking with it.

I still loved the first one but apparently I'm in the minority on that one. The George Senior/Oscar storyline is by far the weakest.

The first 3 episodes are the only ones I have watched so far ha. I'll give the 4th one a shot.

Talking about the Office, I felt that it lost its greatness after Pam and Jim got together, even when Michael was still part of the show. It still had its funny moments and good episodes after that, but I never found it as amazing as the previous seasons.