Least favourite book-film adaptations

Graeme

The Harry Potter expanded universe thread got me thinking about how much book-film adaptations often disappoint me. That series in particular became unwatchable for me because of the liberties they took with a lot of the plot, however there are other examples I can think of.

The Jason Bourne films (whilst admittedly quite well executed) had next to fuck all to do with the books they were based on. I love those books, they'd have made fantastic films but now can't be adapted for at least another generation. Would it really have been that difficult or detrimental to have shown the source material a wee bit more respect?

The "Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman (it wasn't even a fucking compass!)... Pretty much ruined any chances of His Dark Materials, one of the most inventive works of literary fiction over the last 20 years, getting any form of complete adaptation into film.

I'm sure I could think of more given time. I can accept that adaptation is a necessary evil, and it can be done really well (see Lord of the Rings, or Game of Thrones), sometimes it can even improve upon the book (Jaws). But this is a thread for all those times you've been watching the film of a book you love and you've seen something and just thought "What the fuck were they even thinking!?"

I can't be the only one, right?

I don't mind adaptations, but they should change the title when they make one.

Terry Southern's books turned into films - Candy and Magic Christian - were embarrassments.

Bonfire of the Vanities would have worked as an HBO miniseries, they could reboot that one and maybe it would be better.

On The Road didn't work at all, I have way more faith in Big Sur being a much better movie. Scarlet Letter's another classic book where something went wrong.

DaVinci Code.

All the Dr Seuss books should have been left as cartoons.

Even LOTR and GOT deviate from their source materials (or certainly omit things a reader may deem includable), even though they are entertaining pieces.

Rarely do you get a visual interpretation which does absolute justice to the writing. But I guess that applies to most final products either in Hollywood or TV.

The "Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman (it wasn't even a fucking compass!)... Pretty much ruined any chances of His Dark Materials, one of the most inventive works of literary fiction over the last 20 years, getting any form of complete adaptation into film.

This is the one I was going to say. I remember reading an interview with the director where he said making the film was a "terrible experience" because the studio ordered significant changes be made late in post-production. Apparently they felt the anti-religious themes would make the film financially unviable in the US so they pulled any and all references which is effectively tearing the heart from the source material.

Sucks because that could have been an amazing trilogy.

Even LOTR and GOT deviate from their source materials (or certainly omit things a reader may deem includable), even though they are entertaining pieces.

Rarely do you get a visual interpretation which does absolute justice to the writing. But I guess that applies to most final products either in Hollywood or TV.

Incredibly difficult for both LOTR and GOT to not do that due to the sheer length of them, as adaptations though I think they have been done as well as they could. It will certainly be interesting to see how the later seasons of GOT are handled due to the massive changes that occur in the book.

For me the Hobbit has to be up there, I know we've only had one film so far but it just felt so bloated, LOTR worked as the books were long and there was enough source material. The Hobbit on the other hand is a 300 page book they are stretching for money, while LOTR had to omit characters and subplots due to concerns over pacing and length, The Hobbit has made up entirely new characters and subplots to justify the three films.

Incredibly difficult for both LOTR and GOT to not do that due to the sheer length of them, as adaptations though I think they have been done as well as they could. It will certainly be interesting to see how the later seasons of GOT are handled due to the massive changes that occur in the book.

It wasn't intended as a criticism. I don't expect either to fully capture the volumes of writing. I was actually defending that style of approach.

That said, Rob's wife did not die at the Red Wedding...

It wasn't intended as a criticism. I don't expect either to fully capture the volumes of writing. I was actually defending that style of approach.

That said, Rob's wife did not die at the Red Wedding...

And that in the books Rob's wife in the show is someone completely different than in the books :P

And that in the books Rob's wife in the show is someone completely different than in the books :P

It's especially ludicrous because Catelyn shows an implicit understanding that Rob taking his wife would be tactically too risky. His wife stubbornly follows and Rob explicitly orders that she remain (heeding to the wishes of Catelyn).

As an empathizer with the Stark cause it really annoys me that they portrayed the Starks as blindly walking into that fate, totally ignoring Catelyn's calcualation. They also eradicated Rob's heir in order to please people by fast-tracking to the personal crusade of Jon Snow.

Edited by NGOG

It's especially ludicrous because Catelyn shows an implicit understanding that Rob taking his wife would be tactically too risky. His wife stubbornly follows and Rob explicitly orders that she remain (heeding to the wishes of Catelyn).

As an empathizer with the Stark cause it really annoys me that they portrayed the Starks as blindly walking into that fate, totally ignoring Catelyn's calcualation. They also eradicated Rob's heir in order to please people by fast-tracking to the personal crusade of Jon Snow.

I kind of felt they went down that route for the shock-factor more than anything which sucks, reading it unfold in the book was far more harrowing where as in the show having Rob and his wife kissing right there with Walder watching seemed stupid.