American Hustle (2013)

inthisriver

A few days after seeing it, I've finally hit on what this movie is (to me anyway) - the biggest, most balls out Scorsese parody anyone will ever do. The only deviation is that it features female characters that it actually gives a shit about. It's gangbusters.

Seeing it later this week. By the trailers and clips I've seen, it did remind me of a Scorsese film. Very much looking forward to it. Russell along with Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson and Spike Jonze have never made a bad film between them. I'm curious to see how this will affect Russell's next few films since it's poised to be a commercial success.

Also might check out Her...

Alexander Payne and Sofia Coppola belong to that club, too. Her is lovely.

Indeed they do. A friend of mine asked me to come up with a list of the 50 best directors of all time and surprisingly (at least at first), Sofia Coppola made my list

She would make mine too, she is a singularly gifted director.

• 2 weeks later...

Falls off just a little bit in the second half but this may be my favourite film of 2013 so far (though I've yet to see some of the other award contenders).

I loved its unbridled energy and the performances by all involved.

Seeing De Niro in just that one short little scene made me really sad. Made me realize he's still got the fire in him, because he was scary as fuck and intimidating in a matter of about 10 seconds. If he'd been working with auteurs like Russell and Scorsese over the past decade instead of, say, Peter Segal and Jay Roach, he could have been making some great films. It's depressing.

Falls off just a little bit in the second half but this may be my favourite film of 2013 so far (though I've yet to see some of the other award contenders).

I loved its unbridled energy and the performances by all involved.

Interesting. I found the opposite - the first half an hour or so felt iffy to me, then it suddenly landed on it's feet. I have to rewatch it though, because I'm not sure if it was more due to my expectations being so high.

Amy Adams was so hot in this, she like forgot to wear a shirt in every scene

Great acting all around too, someone here said it best- its a great Scorsese imitation

Not an imitation, a parody. A hugely affectionate one, but definitely takes some piss out of Scorsese's most familiar tropes...the scene where they all arrive at the function to the strains of Yellow Brick Road... :lol:

Edited by Angelica

I felt the music was weird, it kind of made it seem like a cheap tv movie or more authentic 70s feel. Only a couple times did it pop like a real Scorsese movie. It didnt have the swagger. That was Russel style like The Fighter. Its a good crime movie though. It wasnt quite funny or violent enough to really be a classic.

• Like 2

I felt the music was weird, it kind of made it seem like a cheap tv movie or more authentic 70s feel. Only a couple times did it pop like a real Scorsese movie. It didnt have the swagger. That was Russel style like The Fighter. Its a good crime movie though. It wasnt quite funny or violent enough to really be a classic.

Pretty much, nothing too special but a solid movie.

Amy Adams made this movie for me, so damn hot. Everyone was talking about Jennifer Lawrence in this movie but I think Amy is hotter.

Pretty much, nothing too special but a solid movie.

Amy Adams made this movie for me, so damn hot. Everyone was talking about Jennifer Lawrence in this movie but I think Amy is hotter.

there was another chick that movie? oh yeah the blonde crazy wife, she was oaky I guess.

It gets quite complicated with the double crosses. But the way he shoots stuff, and indulges as a writer/director isnt economical. But its amusing along the way with each chracter being fully explored, very rich textures, a little cheesy 70s authentic. It lacks the swagger or machismo of Scorsese. Its more sensitive and off beat. Almost like Cohen Bros.

Edited by wasted

• 1 month later...

A total snoozefest. How in the name of fuck did his get awarded for anything? How do you make a story like this boring? How do you make these characters boring?

I didn't care for any of it, watched 3/4 of the movie and turned it off. Didn't care to even finish it. Thank fuck Ididn't see it in a cinema, I'd have fallen asleep or had to walk out.

Just got back from seeing it. I fell asleep about halfway through and my friend woke me up around 3/4 through. The acting was good, the dialogue was good, the cinematography, soundtrack and costumes were cool, but the plot itself was boring as fuck. I've seen all the nominees for Best Picture now, and I have to say that this is my least favourite.

Edited by Lithium