American Hustle (2013)

inthisriver

Lol, backlash.

Saw it a second time last night. The few reservations I'd originally felt (especially re the tone and pacing of the first half hour) dissipated entirely. That plot is secondary to characterization (and affectionate actor indulgence) is a director trademark now, and one that I'm enormously fond of. There is so much heart and soul and wit in this thing. Of the nominees, it's my favorite with Nebraska at it's heels.

• Like 2

Bale's performance has stuck with me since I saw it. He may have been doing a De Niro impression but it was one of his finest moments as an actor. He's always so intense and brooding in a lot of his movies the past few years but I like seeing him go over-the-top and darkly funny (American Psycho, The Fighter, etc.). His tragi-comic characters are always the best.

• Like 2

Bale's performance has stuck with me since I saw it. He may have been doing a De Niro impression but it was one of his finest moments as an actor. He's always so intense and brooding in a lot of his movies the past few years but I like seeing him go over-the-top and darkly funny (American Psycho, The Fighter, etc.). His tragi-comic characters are always the best.

Completely agree.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Wasn't the whole thing this was based on related to Donnie Brasco? Thats how he finds out Donnie is an agent, from 'that Abscam boat', cuz they use the boat to entertain Santo Trafficante, the Florida based mob boss.

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Watched it when it came out, remember liking it but I'm buggered if i can remember fuck all about it.  Think i was mash up.

Same here man, I remember really liking it when it came out, but I don't even remember half of the shit which happened, I remember someone posing as a Shiekh and they were trying to Con someone. 

16 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Same here man, I remember really liking it when it came out, but I don't even remember half of the shit which happened, I remember someone posing as a Shiekh and they were trying to Con someone. 

Oh yeah it was based on that Abscam thing, that has a part in Donnie Brasco too.  When Feds posed as Arab Sheikhs to entrap underworld figures.

On 3/1/2014 at 9:10 AM, Estranged Reality said:

i loved Bale in this! as i mentioned before i even found him sexy...weight gain, awful combover and all i still wanted to jump his bones! idk why...maybe his natural magnstism ;)