Gangster movies

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah, i seen Bugsy and GODDAMN do i love a good gangster movie! Best of all time, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, ugh, i could be here all day

King of New York probably my favorite of all time. The actors that came up off of it though, Cagney, Bogie, George Raft, Al Pacino, Paul Muni's Scarface is fucking earth shattering, LOVE me a good gangster movie, if it's a gangster movie, it's got my attention and i'll watch it.

Anyone ever see Capone starring Ben Gazzara? One of Sly Stallones really early roles and he's fantastic in it. Favs include

The Roaring Twenties

Key Largo

Public Enemy

White Heat

G Men

Petrified Forrest

It's so amazing to me, that even after all these years, the template, the blueprint to those movies is almost entirely still in the hands of the golden oldies. Warner Bros did a wonderful 4 volume set of boxsets of all the old Gangster movies, or a good few of em, i reccomend it to anyone into gangster movies, it's called, predictably enough, Gangsters :lol: Absolutely brilliant though :)

Cagney films are classic. I just read about the Capone film with Gazzara and Stallone. Gazzara starred in a gangster film in the 80's called The Professor or Il Camorrista. Brutal film about the Camorra, arguably more twisted than those Sicilians.

Gangster films are one of the two great American genres. That and the Western.

Most of us have seen The Godfather films and GoodFellas. But those films came well after the golden age with Cagney, Bogie, Robinson and Muni. Though The Godfather's depiction of gangster life is more honest.

Len, you watch Boardwalk Empire?

Guest Len B'stard

Cagney films are classic. I just read about the Capone film with Gazzara and Stallone. Gazzara starred in a gangster film in the 80's called The Professor or Il Camorrista. Brutal film about the Camorra, arguably more twisted than those Sicilians.

Most of us have seen The Godfather films and GoodFellas. But those films came well after the golden age with Cagney, Bogie, Robinson and Muni. Though The Godfather's depiction of gangster life is more honest.

Nah man, i dont really watch much nowadays tv.

Nah man, i dont really watch much nowadays tv.

If you are into the gangster genre and of that era (the show as of now covers from 1920 to 1924) then you would enjoy Boardwalk Empire.

Plus Scorsese is one of the producers.

Public Enemy from the 1930's with James Cagney. that man was the best gangster back in the day. I loved him.

Angels With Dirty Faces was another one of my favorites with Jimmy. He died in both of them, but he was awesome.

I of course loved The Godfather. That was one of the best all time gangster movies. I liked Godfather 2, but only the Robert DiNiro parts. The parts with Al Pacino were a little slow except when he killed Fredo.

I liked Lawless with Tom Hardy.

I think some of the best gangster movies were made in the 30's during the real prohibition times.

Public Enemy from the 1930's with James Cagney. that man was the best gangster back in the day. I loved him.

Angels With Dirty Faces was another one of my favorites with Jimmy. He died in both of them, but he was awesome.

I of course loved The Godfather. That was one of the best all time gangster movies. I liked Godfather 2, but only the Robert DiNiro parts. The parts with Al Pacino were a little slow except when he killed Fredo.

I liked Lawless with Tom Hardy.

I think some of the best gangster movies were made in the 30's during the real prohibition times.

Cagney dies in all his gangster films. Even before production codes set in, they couldn't let a violent gangster get away with murder. I agree some of the best were during Prohibition which ended right when the Production Codes went into effect. But there were post-code films that were great such as Angels with Dirty Faces and White Heat.

I think a lot of people prefer the De Niro scenes in Part II, I think mostly because Michael becomes an evil bastard. The thing about Vito is, that he has killed people, probably ordered the deaths of many, the films have not portrayed Vito at his worse like they did with Michael. You just see Vito at his beginning and end. He got real nasty in the middle.

I want to check out Lawless, but have you seen Gangster Squad? Not sure how I'd feel. I did not like Public Enemies with Johnny Depp. Great shootouts but Dillinger was just a fly spec compared to Luciano or Capone.

Gangster Squad is a shit sandwich.

Not a great film by any stretch, but Mulholland Falls is a solid entry (and leagues above GS, which it shares commonalities with). Plus a lot of naked Jennifer Connelly at her absolute peak.

Surprised no one (including me) has mentioned LA Confidential yet. It's a modern classic.

People rave about the scene the two legends having coffee. I thought it was okay. Pacino was well past his prime and resorts to over-acting and De Niro seemed bored.

I remember hearing how they were going to premiere the resorted cut of Once Upon a Time in America at Cannes this year but they pulled it pending more restorations?