Does anybody else think we'd have multiple New GNR albums by now if Buckethead was still in the band?

Randy Lahey

Considering he was really nothing more than a glorified session guitarist in his time with GNR, no.

That's not meant to disrespect Bucket btw. His contributions to CD are mainly just additional riffs and solos to already "complete" (but likely vastly inferior prior to his additions) songs. Shacklers is just a carryover that he was going to release as a solo song but gave to Axl.

Edited by bacardimayne

If the 2002, or even the 2006 lineup had stuck together, I absolutely believe we'd have at least 2 albums by now. Bucket & especially Robin leaving, I believe, really fucked up plans for the next release, as they are most likely all over the other unreleased tracks with several writing credits on various songs.

No, the problems would still be exactly the same, I don't really see how Ron's held the band back from anything in a way that Bucket wouldn't have. He's been one of the most vocal supporters of writing and recording music since joining.

Because Axl seemed to have faith in Bucket's skills in a way he doesn't with Ron. Ron's in the band to cover Bucket's parts in the live shows and that's about it as I see it. :)

No, the problems would still be exactly the same, I don't really see how Ron's held the band back from anything in a way that Bucket wouldn't have. He's been one of the most vocal supporters of writing and recording music since joining.

Because Axl seemed to have faith in Bucket's skills in a way he doesn't with Ron. Ron's in the band to cover Bucket's parts in the live shows and that's about it as I see it. :)

Would that be why Axl had Ron replace Bucket on Bucket's biggest and best contribution to writing on CD?

It's this simple: Buckethead & Robin were the guitarists Axl wanted and sought out for the band. DJ & Ron are simply filling in for said guitarist because they bailed on GNR.

What real motivation is there for Axl to go out of his way to record with these guys? Especially when you consider that he has at least another album and a half worth of material from Robin & Bucket that he can put out whenever the wind finally hits him the right way.

Does anybody else think we'd have multiple New GNR albums by now if Buckethead was still in the band?

Why would Bucket being in the band speed anything up?

I would imagine that Bucket & even moreso Robin leaving has slowed down how the next album is being approached by Axl. We know he has at least ablum and a half worth of finished material from those guys which (at one point) were planned for subsequent release after Chinese Democracy. I think Robin's unexpected departure and DJ joining the band, followed by 5 years of on and off touring has pretty much fucked us all out of hearing The General, Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster and all other tracks we were looking forward to hearing on the followup album.

It's this simple: Buckethead & Robin were the guitarists Axl wanted and sought out for the band. DJ & Ron are simply filling in for said guitarist because they bailed on GNR.

What real motivation is there for Axl to go out of his way to record with these guys? Especially when you consider that he has at least another album and a half worth of material from Robin & Bucket that he can put out whenever the wind finally hits him the right way.

That album and a half of material has been deemed shit by the label. That seems like plenty of motivation to record with these guys to me. Bucket and Robin had their time, and they failed. Time to move on. :shrugs:

Think you're pulling that one out yer arse, pal :P.

It would be funny if Dj writes a hit for GNR.

i honestly hope he does. But could we live with the shame?

I've wondered about that myself since DJ™ joined. I know Sixx:AM has a lot of fans, but I haven't liked any of their tunes so far. I'll be bummed if GN'R hits radio with a generic sounding rock tune like theirs

How revisionist. Buckethead left because of Axl's inability to get working and release an album. How would that have miraculously changed?

Axl could have Jimmy Page and Brian May and still behave in this way.