DJ Ashba Appreciation Thread/Chinese Democracy and CD Sales Discussion

wfuckinga

Dj-Slashba.jpg

Crappy font.

Out of all the things that are crappy in that photo you single out the font? :lol:

Well, I'm kinda used at Ashba's way of looking stupid. This font is shockingly ugly.

Not really sure why either of you are paying attention to DJ, or the words. They were the last things I noticed.

• Like 2

Dj-Slashba.jpg

Crappy font.

Out of all the things that are crappy in that photo you single out the font? :lol:

Well, I'm kinda used at Ashba's way of looking stupid. This font is shockingly ugly.

Not really sure why either of you are paying attention to DJ, or the words. They were the last things I noticed.

DJ is hotter, plus you can see his nipple.

I appreciate DJ's tophat, just because it pisses so many people off.

Thank you for proving my point from the Sorum topic.

Are you deranged? Seriously. Surely you're in touch with reality enough to admit that people on this very forum have a hard-on for talking shit about DJ, many times warranted, many times not.

Furthermore, all you do is obsess over other posters. Why don't you take your own advice that you dole out ad nauseum and just discuss the topics without getting so emotionally invested. Now fuck off.

How are you allowed to post when you talk to people like that? Seriously what connection do you have? That's rude!

I remember when it was announced he was in the band, on the official Web page. It had that terrible looking photo of him (I know...not too specific) and I remember literally thinking, "this could be very bad." Once I read about his track record (that he played with Sixx A.M. and had a good reputation as a producer) I was willing to briefly put aside my thoughts and wait until I heard what he did with Guns N' Roses. I had heard some Sixx A.M. songs, and did not find his guitar playing on it particularly exceptional, but once more, benefit of the doubt was due.

The next I saw of him in Guns N' Roses were at those pictures of rehearsals that were posted around the web. I want to say that was mid-2009. There was a whole slew of pictures of those stupid guitars he plays: the Leatherface one and that kind of shit. My first thought was, once more, "this could be very bad." But I checked myself. I was a big Buckethead fan before Guns N' Roses, so I loved him from the word go, but I was aware a lot of people were turned off by his routine, only to profess love for it a few years down the line. Once more, I was willing to put judgement aside until I heard him play music.

Fast forward to those shows at the end of 2009. Of course I was excited by the fact that the band was actually playing shows, Axl sounded great, and we were getting sets filled with songs from Chinese Democracy. Yet, from the get go, I could not help but notice DJ's playing on the songs, particularly Chinese Democracy songs, was bad: laughably bad. Beyond the solos he just seemed unable to play (like "This I Love") he seemed to hide his inability to play other solos by using the kind of tricks a high schooler would use (i.e. the pick slide at the end of the "Better" solo). My first thoughts were, "this kid is gonna get ravaged."

I then logged onto the various forums to find...people loved him. Yes, despite all the hate he gets now, people were so excited about seeing Guns N' Roses again that the atrocity of DJ's playing had been overlooked. I remember one poster specifically saying he thought this was the defining era of Guns N' Roses and that he enjoyed DJ's playing more than Slash's in 1993. Even the people who acknowledged DJ made a TON of mistakes those first shows pulled out lame excuses ("Robin messed up a lot of solos," "Ron was criticized for the way he played "There was a Time" in 2006," "this is only DJ's first show with the band and he's probably nervous). In my mind though, it was inexcusable. It's not like Bumblefoot who literally only had weeks to learn songs, or Robin who had the disadvantage of replacing Slash as the "main" lead guitar player. This was someone who had been officially announced as a member 9 months before his first gig, and had probably jammed with the band many times before that. Dude needed to be tight as hell.

Looking at him now, in 2013, and ignoring the biggest complaint (his image) I guess I can say he's gotten better at playing the songs, even though he still regularly fucks up songs like "Better" or the intro to "Sweet Child O' Mine." Yet, even with improvement, that still puts him at the level of a "good" guitarist. The lead guitar player in Guns N' Roses needs to be a monster on the guitar, not, "well he plays it well most of the time." DJ Ashba's playing reminds me of that guy you knew who played guitar in high school. He could play a lot of riffs and bits of famous solos, but when he actually attempted to play a song from beginning to end it sounded disjointed and sloppy. That's DJ: and to make up for it he spends more time mugging for the crowd, prancing around the stage, smashing guitars, etc.

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 2

His playing isn't bad, it's his image.

A 40 year old emo guy is kind of sad. He should grow his hair out and grow a beard. Then he will suite the band much better.

And stop using hashtags. And stop whining about how he was bullied. And stop overpromoting his overpriced clothing. Honestly, I dislike everything there is about this guy.

Agreed. I feel no sympathy to the fact he was bullied!!!

Dj-Slashba.jpg

Crappy font.

DJ is hotter, plus you can see his nipple. No homo.

Fixed.

I just remember the crowd going crazy for him in 09. playing the chi dem riff, Ballad of Death, Scom intro. I was thinking you do know hes not actually on the album right?

Chinese guy standing next to me at one of the London 2012 gigs went from stereotypically quiet and meek to absolutely apeshit everytime Ashba came on, screaming "ASHBA! ASHBA!" every time DJ came on. Had him warbling along to TIL in a thick Chinese accent in my ear, I had to bite my tongue to stop myself laughing at his absolute sincerity matched with equally complete tone-deafness.

Maybe he's Big in China?

I just remember the crowd going crazy for him in 09. playing the chi dem riff, Ballad of Death, Scom intro. I was thinking you do know hes not actually on the album right?

Chinese guy standing next to me at one of the London 2012 gigs went from stereotypically quiet and meek to absolutely apeshit everytime Ashba came on, screaming "ASHBA! ASHBA!" every time DJ came on. Had him warbling along to TIL in a thick Chinese accent in my ear, I had to bite my tongue to stop myself laughing at his absolute sincerity matched with equally complete tone-deafness.

Maybe he's Big in China?

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

I appreciate DJ's tophat, just because it pisses so many people off.

Thank you for proving my point from the Sorum topic.

Are you deranged? Seriously. Surely you're in touch with reality enough to admit that people on this very forum have a hard-on for talking shit about DJ, many times warranted, many times not.

Furthermore, all you do is obsess over other posters. Why don't you take your own advice that you dole out ad nauseum and just discuss the topics without getting so emotionally invested. Now fuck off.

LOL. Looks like somebody is mad!!!!

You take this forum way too srsly, bro.

Posters make fun of DJ, Axl, Slash......on a daily basis. Maybe D&N is too much for you to handle. :shrugs: