why is new gnr criticized for not being original members, but AC/DC gets a pass?

Sprite

Acdc does things right, i think ppl on here dont think its ok to like more than one band. The argument of "oh they suck,doesnt matter" is weak and reaching. Its prob a mix of ppl pointing the finger at axl, add the late starts,riots and not putting out anything new for yrs and now no new album ..fan club,etc

That's the reason. The first taste the public got of the new version of AC/DC was an instant classic. Johnson was not necessarily able to replace Scott, but give the band something new that the public ultimately accepted.

It's a tricky proposition to replace band members, especially those who are so important to a band's dynamic, image, and sound.

Axl could have gotten away with replacing Slash and carrying on with the GNR name had the next GNR album done what Back in Black did (and was released a decade earlier).

Had AC/DC released Flick the Switch to introduce Johnson perhaps people would have given AC/DC a harder time. But they didn't. Johnson had proven himself with the many hits that were included on the Back in Black album.

It's really not that hard to understand the difference between the two bands.

Edited by downzy

You don't hear much about the smashing pumpkins anymore. Same with Geoff Tates Queensryche after he fired everyone.

Shinedown only has like 2 original members, but they're still releasing number one records.so none cares. Had Axl done things right and released CD in 2002... He would've been in a much better place.

Edited by liers

'Cause Back In Black is as good as the Bon albums. Home Run at the first try.

Is ChiDem as good as any classic GN'R album? Not even Lies.

LMAO @ AC/DC makes "great" music.

Powerage is as good as AFD. Maybe Highway To Hell too.

Because they went on to make great music. Guns didn't.

/End thread

went on to make mediocre music more like. ACDC didnt exactly change and Metallica have got steadily worse.

CD is pound for Pound the best GNR album. Almostly sadly.

I like Powerage, but that is way off.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

All those other bands have extenuating circumstances. AC/DC for example, there was a death and since then there's been a reasonably solid line up and solid output over a thirty plus year period. Bands like The Fall for instance, was pretty much always just a set up put together to prop up Mark E Smith, Guns n Roses, in their day, were considered a proper band with unique members that all played an important part in how the music sounds and the identity of the band. Like The Beatles, although i'm loathe to compare any fuckin' band to those four beautiful bastards.

i don't see how it's even comparable. Angus and Malcolm did everything to save their band. Axl did everything to ruin classic GnR and save his ego. He wanted to build a creative dictatorship. I don't blame him for that. still hate the fact, that he turned out to be one of the most powerless and incompetent dictators ever

Because they went on to make great music. Guns didn't.

/End thread

went on to make mediocre music more like. ACDC didnt exactly change and Metallica have got steadily worse.

CD is pound for Pound the best GNR album. Almostly sadly.

I like Powerage, but that is way off.

I disagree. CD is just an overblown mess, pretty sad if that's GN'R best.

Tu put it simply, it just isn't.

And I maintain what I said on Powerage, not a single filler on that record, only great, great songs.

Edited by EvH

Thats how i see it, Guns became like Zepp or the Beatles, they sold 100 million records in 4 years. Thats what Zepp sold their whole career. So as Guns shot through the stratosphere, the wings got burnt off. Stevie died on launch, the smart ones press the ejector seat. Axl went down with wreckage. We recovered the body 20 years later. What we need is the black box from the ship.

If you look at any mainstream band that has ever lost an asset, they bring in somebody to appease the fanbase/media. The Chillis lost John Frusciante and what did they do? They brought in a good friend and collaborator of their "beloved" guitarist. What did that prevent? Frusciante going to the press and ripping his former colleagues -- thus giving the fans/media a mandate to challenge the new line-up.

Compare that to Axl's approach. He has a gang of guys that literally define the pop culture they lived amongst. What he absolutely had to do was get big personalities in order for modern day GNR to become viable (or give up the name and do what he actually did anyway).

He hired a good friend with absolutely no charisma or presence. A gay-looking guy called Robin Finck (I'm talking from the mentality of your average GNR fan here). Some sophisticated bass player that has no problem saying he fucking hated GNR. A cross-dressing synth player and a couple more NIN guys.

How did Axl expect anything other than a barrage of hostility?

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 1

Also he could have kept the sound more like old GNR. Mike Clink producing etc. get a Slash clone, im sure theres more blues rock players out there. But I respect more what he did, he didnt try to fake GNR, he just worked with new musicians in GNR.

BIB is still hard rock, CD is a bit stranger. Both in fact seem a bit sterile compared to past albums. But are solid records. Diff is Back sold millions, CD didnt. So for this thread, thats a reason. If CD took off or say it had Slash on lead, just no Izzy maybe GNR would be more accepted by the metal police.

Guest Len B'stard

Back in Black is awesome and it sold a ton. So that must have helped. But CD was doomed before it was released, its as good as Back in Black.

Oh do me a favour Wasted, for fuckssake.