Contemporary guitarists who could reach "legend" status

bacardimayne

ChristmasFnatic's thread about DJ and Bumblefoot possibly becoming legends got me thinking. Are there any contemporary guitarists out there who, given enough time, will be viewed in the same light as some of the "guitar gods" like Jimmy Page, Slash, Eddie Van Halen and the like? I honestly can't think of any.

For consistency's sake, let's define contemporary as their first major album coming out post-2000.

Edited by bacardimayne

I can some you good guitarists from the 2000's onward but no "legendary" ones in terms of being able to become a huge name guitarist like Page, White, etc.

There just isn't an emphasis on musicians in the same light with up and coming bands. It is very strange

Edited by WhazUp

In reality though, none.

The thing is, guitar music isn't big enough for this to happen in terms of a Page, a Richards, a Clapton or a Hendrix. Back when these guys blew up, guitar music was THE thing. You might become legendary in guitar circles, but you won't be another "classic" guitarist. The only person I can think of who could come close is Joe Bonamassa. But he'd never be as recognized as the "big" guitarists. Not because of him, but because of how music is today (especially popular music) and how people go about music these days.

Edited by username

To be honest I don't think so, I felt that the last dudes who had a legit chance was Jerry Cantrell and Kim Thayil but AIC and Soundgarden broke off when they had the chance to keep going and build their legend. Seriously these dudes have the songs that people remember but they didn't keep it up past 97 which is a shame really.

In reality though, none.

The thing is, guitar music isn't big enough for this to happen in terms of a Page, a Richards, a Clapton or a Hendrix. Back when these guys blew up, guitar music was THE thing. You might become legendary in guitar circles, but you won't be another "classic" guitarist. The only person I can think of who could come close is Joe Bonamassa. But he'd never be as recognized as the "big" guitarists. Not because of him, but because of how music is today (especially popular music) and how people go about music these days.

You're right, the golden age of rock and jazz music is behind us. But musicians as Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker or John Coltrane became legends without selling a lot of records. They were underground artists. But they were original.

As Mao5 said, if young musicians bring something new, try to be original instead of trying to sound like the old legends, then maybe they'll reach a legendary status too. The problem today with rock music is that a lot of it is just recycled shit that we've already heard 1000 times before.

I don't really listen to any of his music and only know one song(Your Body is a Wonderland) but I know John Mayor has developed a reputation for being a great guitar player. Not sure how accurate that is but it's out there. There's gotta be something to it I guess if that's basically what I know of him.