Contemporary guitarists who could reach "legend" status

bacardimayne

Legendary? None. There really hasn't been a guitarist with that level of cult of personality since Slash. I hope another one comes along soon, but the new bands I'm hearing..... it's not looking promising. I'm not saying there aren't any good new guitarists out there, but none of them have that ndistinguishable characteristic that makes Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Slash, SRV, etc. so legendary. Originality is also part of it, and new bands are more generally more unoriginal than a <insert analogy here because I don't feel like thinking of one and it's 3AM>.

You gotta have some signature to be a legend. With Jimmy Page for example, it's not just that he's a legend, it's also that the solo in Stairway To Heaven and the riff to Whole Lotta Love (among others) are legendary.

So the fact that Seven Nation Army is chanted at pretty much every sporting event in the western world doesn't count?

You gotta have some signature to be a legend. With Jimmy Page for example, it's not just that he's a legend, it's also that the solo in Stairway To Heaven and the riff to Whole Lotta Love (among others) are legendary.

So the fact that Seven Nation Army is chanted at pretty much every sporting event in the western world doesn't count?

Yes, there's one. I actually had Seven Nation Army in mind when I typed that post. But can you name any other?

Jack White and John Mayer for sure. Say what you will about them, but they are both great musicians with a large following and a lot of respect. Are they ever going to be at the same level as Page, Hendrix, Slash, etc? Hell no, but they are the closest of guitarists post 2000.

Joe Bomassana is amazing too, I'd like to think he will get the credit he deserves.

It is sad though, guitar players ain't what they used to be!

Matt Bellamy perhaps.

Well, he did put that chaos pad to good use, but, fact is, Muse is definetely not a guitar driven band.

Nowadays we have fredrik and marten from meshuggah, they are not really contemporary, but they did influence the guitar market and popularized the concept of polyrhythms and math riffs in metal music, something that tosin abasi, a contemporary guy, expanded in order to define djent metal\ music, a whole new musical style from the late 00s.