Interesting bits from an Axl interview, April 1990

Amir

Wow. The similarities....wow. Too bad ChiD didn't get all that stuff. (i'd love that UYI live album by the way...the Inglewood show @ the Forum).

You got the live album, it's called Live Era 87-93 ;)

On topic, that interview explains a lot about how Axl probably works...... It doesn't work well for people who want future music :nervous:

....not that we didn't already know that though, right?

edit: Axl/Dexter, feel free to chime in and give this context....

Edited by RickRoses

Maybe also his decisions about the name and cautiousness. He made it and dug his heels in. You can sort of see why he doesnt want to just throw out mediocre records every other year. He wrote a record about the aftermath of success i think. Its the morning after the party of the decade.

Some things might be the same but there's a marked difference between the man in this interview and the one we have now. ... the above interview has hunger, enthusiasm, no bitterness, no grudges and he doesn't talk in riddles like he just bought a Thesaurus.

And with Axl unbound from other band members who are able to actually force him forward, this tedious process of releasing music would just become even slower. That's why I never thought I would here more music from him after the UYI lineup died out and was so surprised and happy when CD was released. I never thought he would be able to get more music out, not without band members who on an almost equal footing could push him forward. And that's why I don't expect any new music in a while.

• Like 1

Despite all of the war etc, you really get the sense that Axl believed in the band and used that belief to drive himself forward against his own demons.

And for all the ragging on Axl as a dictator, his appropach to his bandmates above as a collaborator is very much on point. The respect for them, their talent and contributions is there.

I still think they had more albums in them, they would have had to evolve like U2 did, moving painfully from the old sound of "Rattle and Hum" to the new sound of "Acthung Baby".

It could have been done, with the help and support of the right manager.

Was the whole meltdown really Doug's fault and Doug's alone?

• Like 1

And with Axl unbound from other band members who are able to actually force him forward, this tedious process of releasing music would just become even slower. That's why I never thought I would here more music from him after the UYI lineup died out and was so surprised and happy when CD was released. I never thought he would be able to get more music out, not without band members who on an almost equal footing could push him forward. And that's why I don't expect any new music in a while.

It would be interesting to find someone who's good at data crunching "why did it take so long and what percentage of the blame falls on Axl procrastinating?" I'm going with 20 percent, maybe 15. Pretty low I know. We have to rule out 1993-1997 because the band as we knew them fell apart, and 1998-2002 was the most productive time. 2002-2005 and part of 2008 was a mess. 2006-2007 the album was pretty much done.

I think it's more that Axl was drawing a line under GNR at that point. This was before the release, so it was one last mission. There was similar talk around CD, with much more set backs, but the plan was there, we'll get it out and tour for a real long time type quote.

I wonder which were the bonus tracks at that point.