Greatest Christmas Movies

Black Sabbath

Whenever I say Jim Careys adaptation of the Grinch is terrible, people look at me like I've just said the most blasphemous thing they've ever heard. I guess cuz it came out at the right time for people around my age? I never liked it. I do watch the cartoon Grinch every year though. I also like to put on The Omen on christmas eve :)

• 2 weeks later...

on Die Hard:

It's about family and togetherness and redemption. You're damn fucking wrong mate, its Christmas through and through. The story is only tangentially related to a hostage situation, the real story is John McClane trying to bring his family back together for the season of which family togetherness is a key theme.

Every bit of pain McClane goes through is based on that one principal, that Christmas is a time of forgiveness and renewal. Renewal of spirit, renewal of love, renewal of strength.

McClane at the start of the movie is washed up and broken down. All the good characters are to some extent. But the season finds a way, like in all good Christmas movies, to elevate the run down until they are happy and whole again. Not just McClane but his wife and Al both go through this same quintessentially Christmas film character arc of renewal, finding a love and strength they had thought lost.

It is Christmas to a t. It is 'It's A Wonderful Life', but with machine guns and angry Germans instead of Clarence.