Anybody like the Black Crowes?

IRanOutOfIdeas

I just recently got Croweology album where they did acoustic versions of a bunch of their own tunes - that is a great album! I am not usually into when artists try and "redo" old songs so to speak but the acoustic vibe is great. It is a perfect driving album

It was kind of a return to old style. After 3 snakes, Amorica. I have that double cd box of Band and another unreleased album.

I guess they lost a couple of members for By Your Side, i think Rich played all the guitar parts. But I like it has the punch of their early stuff.

My fave teacher to talk music with told me to bring a flash drive tomorrow and he's gonna load it up with Crowes bootlegs :headbang: Soul Singing live :headbang: :headbang:

Free is always awesome :)

In case anyone is interested, you can get almost any Crowes show, sound board quality, directly from them:

http://www.liveblackcrowes.com/

They're pretty reasonably priced and sound great. I've bought a couple of shows I've been to and they make great keepsakes.

I was thinking a little while ago and I noticed how many similarities two bands share. I'm not trying to say that either band ripped off one another or that one band is better than another, but it's fun to note what they have in common. For example...

1) Each band is fronted by a charismatic frontman (Axl Rose and Chris Robinson)

2) And the most recognizable members of both bands are their singer and guitarist (Axl and Slash / The Brothers Robinson)

3) Both bands reached their peak of popularity in the early 90's

4) Arguably, both band's most popular song is a ballad (Sweet Child o' Mine / She Talks to Angels)

5) If you think #4 is disputable, both band's most popular song is still on their first album (Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City / Hard to Handle)

6) The first three albums from both bands are their most popular and critically acclaimed

7) Both bands are heavily influenced by 70's rock, naturally

8) Both bands added a full-time keyboardist for their second album (Dizzy Reed and Ed Hearsch)

9) Both bands have had two longtime bassists and both of the band's current bassists have been there since 1997 (Tommy Stinson and Sven Pippien)

10) Both bands had a successful comeback in the 2000's that involved regrouping under a new lineup (Although the Crowes did a reunion tour and then regrouped under a new lineup)

11) Both bands released an album in 2008 that was labeled as their comeback and both albums were acclaimed (Chinese Democracy and Warpaint)

12) Both bands have been through a volley of lineup changes

13) Both bands have been through a ridiculous amount of guitarists

14) The current lineup for both bands has remained relatively static except for the addition of a new guitarist (DJ Ashba and Jackie Greene)

15) A lot of fans are quick to criticize the new lineups of both bands due to strong admiration for the "classic" lineups (Although both current bands put on a pretty good show nowadays)

So what do you all think? Feel free to add more comparisons!

But The Crowes kept their main lead guitarist for the most part.

The Lost Crowes is pretty nice. The Band sessions If it ever Stops Raining, Wyoming and Me, Predictable (this is really great)

I always thought their second record was their best. Remedy being their biggest song.

But The Crowes kept their main lead guitarist for the most part.

The Lost Crowes is pretty nice. The Band sessions If it ever Stops Raining, Wyoming and Me, Predictable (this is really great)

I always thought their second record was their best. Remedy being their biggest song.

Southern Harmony is a record that's grown on me a lot more in the past 2 years. When it came out, there was a TON of hype on it and I just didn't love it like everyone else did. Amorica was absolutely my thing when it hit, then again with Three Snakes, so Southern Harmony just kind of fell by the wayside. I always loved Sometimes Salvation and Thorn In My Pride but other than that, I never went back to the record much. In the last couple of years, I've revisited that record a lot more and have really been digging it. Stuff like Sting Me and My Morning Song are just rad as hell, though the Croweology version of My Morning Song SMOKES the original:

I was always a Hotel Illness man. I just felt they nailed my grunge rock n roll heart with Harmony. Also the solos on that record are amazing.

I agree. Like I said, I never disliked the album, I just didn't love it like others did. Funny you should mention Hotel Illness as well. The sports station in my town uses that as a bumper out of commercials. I heard it today and was like "SHIT! I forgot to mention Illness!" haha.

My fave teacher to talk music with told me to bring a flash drive tomorrow and he's gonna load it up with Crowes bootlegs :headbang: Soul Singing live :headbang: :headbang:

I have every Instant Live soundboard show that they released from 2005-2006 as well as a hundred other live shows from them.

I also ran a Crowes fan forum for 3 years or so. THAT was a freaking interesting social experiment.

Edited by The Real McCoy

Nope. I'm rather new to the whole online forum scene in general, honestly.

I ran that board for 3 years, and I've never seen a bigger group of people gathered in one place that disagreed so vehemently about everything. The personal attacks were ridiculous. It makes the main GNR board here look like sunshine, puppies, and rainbows.

It was so insane that I just upped and deleted my account on my own damn board after three years because the aggravation was too hard to handle. (Pun intended.)