Why No Release? Simple.

Axl broke up the band because he supposedly had a grand vision for GNR's future that the other guys weren't on board for. When I think of CD as a failure, I think of it from that perspective. From the perspective of Axl being a middle aged frontman of a refigured band that used to be big in the 80s and early 90s, then CD did decently. I agree with both perspectives, actually.

• Like 1

Axl broke up the band because he supposedly had a grand vision for GNR's future that the other guys weren't on board for. When I think of CD as a failure, I think of it from that perspective. From the perspective of Axl being a middle aged frontman of a refigured band that used to be big in the 80s and early 90s, then CD did decently. I agree with both perspectives, actually.

I disagree.

It technically sold decent, but it was always going to no matter what.

It failed because the masses either thought it was "meh" or just flat out bad. And as Bonham said, left no demand for a nu follow up,

Why people can't just accept these facts, just enjoy the music they like, and move on already is beyond me. :shrugs:

I don't disagree with anything you said except for the use of the word failure. I just can't call it a failure after the decent sales, generally positive critical reception, as well as having decently performing single (better did well on its own merit, CD the song has an inflated chart position due to the iTunes release).

The terms of success and failure with the album appears to depend on the narrative one has. Those who view the album as a failure (and I'm no longer speaking to you but in general terms) tend to do so because it provides punishment, a sense of justice for breaking up the band they love. People who view it as a success view it as a vindication for Axl's efforts and all the nonsense he's had to suffer from former band mates and the media.

Basically my posts have been a modest plea to not pick a side for sides sake and try and keep things in perspective.

You make me sick. Get in the ring motherfucker.

holy shit an internet dispute has been resolved. I understand both perspectives and they're equally as valid. :cheers:

(I'm on my phone so I have no idea if that emoticon still works)

• Like 1

The world isn't ready for CD ll. It is way too complex. Axl is working hard in the studio with DJ and Frank to make it possible for all the old school Gn'R fans to get it.

should boot you in the crotch... old school fans got it and it SUCKED but it didnt swallow. CD was the ultimate FUCK YOU to the fans both young and new.

The world isn't ready for CD ll. It is way too complex. Axl is working hard in the studio with DJ and Frank to make it possible for all the old school Gn'R fans to get it.

should boot you in the crotch... old school fans got it and it SUCKED but it didnt swallow. CD was the ultimate FUCK YOU to the fans both young and new.
lol wut?

lol wut?

that's true giving the drums some Eye of the Tiger and get some glam metal riffs would give something the AFD fans to like. Even if they do still hate Axl.

lol wut?

that's true giving the drums some Eye of the Tiger and get some glam metal riffs would give something the AFD fans to like. Even if they do still hate Axl.

bring back Adler, keep Frank, put a loveseat behind the kit, and give them each a stick

Axl said in 2002 the stuff they were playing was the less good stuff. SOD, Riad, CD, Maddy.... The songs that made the album were probably determined by what leaked. TWAT, Better, IRS, etc. The only songs that wasn't played in 2002 that was actually talked about being on the album at the time was CITR and Prostitute.... We know axl considered those to be two of the "Big Guns".... It's entirely possible that the songs that made the album weren't the ones axl intended to be on the album in 2002.

We know songs are out there. We've all heard the titles like "The General", "Jackie Chan", "Soul Monster", "Atlas Shrugged", "Beta's Barn", "Seven", "Thyme", "Zodiac", "Down By The Ocean", "Daddy Can The Devil Do Mommy and Me", "Quick Songs", etc... We know he has Going Down, Silkworms, Atlas, and OMG all ready to go....

In 2002 he said CD would be out in 2003 with over 20 songs. Then 1 or 2 years later CD II, then 1 or 2 years later CD III. As late as 2006 he was saying CD III would be out by 2012. In the 2008 chats he said "Same time next year" for a new album, which would've mean 2009. If everything were to go his way, we would have tons of material out by now. We would have so many new songs we wouldn't even know what to do with them.

I don't think he's lost confidence. He's said, while most will disagree with him, this is his favorite line up he's had.... Even if they're not the best musically, they're the most stable and they seem the most like a band.

There's rumors Axl brought CD II to the record company in 2010 ready to release it. Chances are that happened and the record company and him couldn't come to an agreement. Chances are, after CD Axl wanted the record company to work out a big promotion deal and they couldn't come to an agreement.

I mean seriously.... Given Axl's prior history would you feel comfortable giving him money and expect to earn it back and then some in a timely manor?

Edited by liers
  • Like 2

Axl Rose hasn't released music because he doesn't have to release music. The fucking guy obviously does what he wants.

He's making his money off of touring.

In my opinion, he seems happier and more satisfied. He's lost the will to do press or hear the criticism.

If he truly embraced modern music and it's mechanics, then he'd release some songs or EPs, but he's from an era when you'd listen to albums from beginning to end.

We'll hear music soon and I believe we'll have Fernando and DJ Ashba to thank for it. Everyone else involved are just old rockers.

I'm so sick of reading all the bullshit, conspiracy theories and weak, ill-founded speculation about why Chinese Democracy 2 hasn't been released in 5 years.

1) Axl has lost his confidence ;

2) The record company is furious at Axl's lack of promotion for Chinese Democracy so is being awkward ;

3) Axl is holding out for more money.

Blah blah blah fucking blah........

Listen. Chinese Democracy was a commercial flop. It was an album full of utterly mediocre songs - like It's The World, Scraped, Rhiad......

So if those songs were the first pick from the archive, what are the left-over dregs going to be like?

Bob Ezrin said it years ago - the quality songs just aren't there. End of story.

That, as they say, is that. Deal with it.

free-scared-smileys-306.gif Mind Blown.

lol wut?

I am never going to apoligise for the fact that I am an 'AFD fan'. Take your mess of overdubs (i.e. chinese democracy) and stick it up your arse.

• Like 1

Difficult to promote a record when the band don't do interviews or TV etc. A couple of tracks on CD are as good as any they have ever done. Some are pretty good and are better than the filler on Illusions and alas some are utter turgid steaming piles of dog shite.

I actually think that CD was rushed out. Half of it doesn't sound finished or mixed.

I would love to see an Axl Rose n his piano album n tour

• Like 2