Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

Do we have any indication of when The Winds of Winter will be released?

If it gets a set release date I'll buy the first 5 books and read them and then get TWOW instead of just reading Wikipedia/ASOIAF Wiki articles.

no clue broski, the book has been in production since 2010. the first 3 books were released in a span of 4 years since then we have 2 books in 11 years. i have seen guesses from early 2015 to fall 2016(and later) martins editor doesnt even have a clue, she said lately that she hopes she gets it in a reasonable amount of time and george has only given her 168 pages and that was in february of 2013(this book is supposed to be massive in size)

she even said she thinks he may need to go to an 8th book(which i think he will) so right now it is basically a pretty shitty situation for the book readers and it is kind of grim as more people think he will never finish the story.

There's several preview chapters floating around the net along with the stuff that's been previewed at conventions. Not going to spoil them for the TV show fans, but wasn't it also said that the big "events" that ADWD was building up to were already completed and cut from Dance, solely cause of book length?

Some of the preview chapters from early on in the book seem to take place after some of those events. So I assuming that those "events" will probably just end season 6 if they stick with the books as long as they can.

Actually should have just used spoiler tags.

yeah but AFFC and ADWD was one book at one time, and it still took 6 years for martin to finish ADWD.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fight between Bran's guardians and the Pirates of the Caribbean happened in the books?

no in the books they were the remains of the nightwatch traitors that took crasters keep.

minor book spoilers:(contains character not in show)

in the book bran has an undead nights watchman with him called coldhands. coldhands senses people are following them so bran and crew go on without him, while he goes and kills the people following them, which are the nights watch traitors from crasters, they partied drank all the booze ate all the food and were trying to make it south of the wall. so coldhands kills these nights watchman(it is also alluded to that coldhands cut some of these people up and fed them to bran and crew) so since coldhands never burned the bodies they wonder around get caught in snow drifts and attack bran and crew before they get to the cave with bloodraven
Edited by bran

Bran or someone in here with knowledge of the books, I wanna begin reading the next book in preparation for next season. Doesn't matter to me at this point because the story has totally piqued my interests and wanna compare and contrast what i've read from the book and what is shown on HBO next season.

What is the next book in the series leading up to season 5?

Bran or someone in here with knowledge of the books, I wanna begin reading the next book in preparation for next season. Doesn't matter to me at this point because the story has totally piqued my interests and wanna compare and contrast what i've read from the book and what is shown on HBO next season.

next season is a mashup of a feast for crows and a dance with dragons. a feast for crows and a dance with dragons happen at the same exact time of the storyline. they were originally one book but was too big to publish so they were made into 2. they are broken down geographically so for instance AFFC features none of the wall or bran's story. AFFC centers around dorne, the iron islands, kings landing. while ADWD centers around the wall,bran and dany.

the two storyline eventually meet each other again in the last 1/3 of ADWD.

Edited by bran

yeah i would start with AFFC, and then ADWD. if you dont read the first 3 books you will notice some more characters and changes from the show so you may need to look at a wiki or something but for the most part you will be near the same point as the show. then onto ADWD and after that you join the rest us in the never ending agony of waiting for the winds of winter :lol:

edit: also before reading AFFC, read the epilogue to A storm of swords, you can find it online or at the very least read a synopsis of the chapter online.

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

Um I'd go to Youtube and see watch the video of "A Storm of Swords" epilogue as well (audio book). The last chapter in the 3rd book to avoid a random WTF during AFFC.

-edit-

The videos have been removed from youtube!

Edited by AtariLegend

You should start with the first book. A page turner.

A Storm of Swords is the best book. I am also one of the few that really liked A Dance with Dragons.

a storm of swords is definitely the best. i think AFFC> ADWD. i still like ADWD but the dany stuff just bored me in parts. i think TWOW has a chance to be in the best of conversations when it is said and done, i think it will be just a massive bloodbath :lol:

Is it true that now the storyline goes downhill? no spoilers please :)

it depends on what you like. if you like the political intrigue and things like that then no the storylines are still good, if you like battles and main characters dying every 2 seconds then you might be disappointed. these two books were kind of like a reset on the series gearing up for the end. the show watcher will get a streamlined version of the two books and will get the "greatest hits" if it were, so i think the season will be plenty compelling, since a lot of cool stuff does happen in these books, but you wont get the "fluff" i guess :lol:

Edited by bran

Is it true that now the storyline goes downhill? no spoilers please :)

it depends on what you like. if you like the political intrigue and things like that then no the storylines are still good, if you like battles and main characters dying every 2 seconds then you might be disappointed. these two books were kind of like a reset on the series gearing up for the end. the show watcher will get a streamlined version of the two books and will get the "greatest hits" if it were, so i think the season will be plenty compelling, since a lot of cool stuff does happen in these books, but you wont get the "fluff" i guess :lol:

So now they'll do the final 2 books that are released right?

yes. a feast for crows and a dance with dragons will be combined and shown in season 5. season 6 will be the winds of winter(unreleased) and season 7 will be a dream of spring(unreleased)

yes. a feast for crows and a dance with dragons will be combined and shown in season 5. season 6 will be the winds of winter(unreleased) and season 7 will be a dream of spring(unreleased)

I read that its possible that GRM might do another book

I read that its possible that GRM might do another book

i think it is more likely than not :lol:

bran the poster = great

bran the stark = dumb asshole

I hope he and everyone in his gang get obliterated Oberyn style. Including Hodor. Yeah, I said it. Just broke the internets, I know. The guy that plays him is a horrible actor and he only has one line.

Seriously if the finale of the entire show is Bran worging into a bunch of White Walkers and saving the world I'll burn my television. Fuck that little shit and his monotone voice. Fuck his story. With the latest episode Bran went straight to the top of my shitlist for this show.

The Theon/Ramsey bathtub scene was better than his bullshit segment. Skeletons, gernades, and all that was under the tree of life was a fucking old guy? That's it? Old people and elves?

FUCKKKKKKKK BRAN

Edited by Broskirose
  • Like 1

bran the poster = great

bran the stark = dumb asshole

I hope he and everyone in his gang get obliterated Oberyn style. Including Hodor. Yeah, I said it. Just broke the internets, I know. The guy that plays him is a horrible actor and he only has one line.

Seriously if the finale of the entire show is Bran worging into a bunch of White Walkers and saving the world I'll burn my television. Fuck that little shit and his monotone voice. Fuck his story. With the latest episode Bran went straight to the top of my shitlist for this show.

The Theon/Ramsey bathtub scene was better than his bullshit segment. Skeletons, gernades, and all that was under the tree of life was a fucking old guy? That's it? Old people and elves?

FUCKKKKKKKK BRAN

yeah the guy is really old. the thing is in the book i think he comes off as much cooler and mysterious. in the tv show he is made to look like an old hippie sitting on a tree throne. in the book he is basically infused with the tree, and he is kind of grotesque. you will learn more about who he is later, and it is a pretty cool side story.

YiaJR.jpg

the thing with bran in the books is his story never really gets going until the very end of the last book. he kind of just stalls, and really doesnt have all that much to do. in the books he is slightly more interesting since you have the mysterious character in coldhands with him and the cannibal angle that was dropped from the show.

Edited by bran

some season 5 spoilers have trickled in. this is according to stuff found on the ASOIAF boards.

looks like varamyr six skins will make an appearance after all.

casting for a 12 year old girl named imogen. the speculation is this will be 12 year old cersei since we know maggy the frog will be in the show next season.

casting for a 12 year old brunette girl. speculation this is going to be melara heatherspoon.

the sandsnakes seem to come across bronn somehow

myrcela is going to have a larger role in the show compared to the books, and she is being recast.

also with leaked casting tapes(now deleted) jaime will be going to dorne

still no casting for arianne yet.

Edited by bran