Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I decided that I'd finally cave in and get into this show. But before I do, I just wanna ask a few things. First off, how well are the books covered? I get that everything can't be taken in, but nothing important is excluded at least, right?

Second, how much of the books have been covered so far? If I understand right, the first two seasons covered one of the first two books each, but the third/fourth seasons don't cover the third and fourth, or at least not entirely.

Third, have the showrunners announced how long they want to go on? These days I don't normally get into shows until after they've concluded or are close to ending, but I'm making an exception with this one for a reason I don't quite understand. I know that there are seven books, of which only five are published, so I was just wondering if the season 3/4 thing not corresponding to the book number was a one time thing or not, and whether or not they'll wait for the books to come out before writing the final season or seasons. The last one doesn't sound like an option though, cause if I understand right, it takes the author four to five years to get a book in the series out, but I don't actually know.

In S2E6 (I think, might have been E7), Dany and company attend a party in Qarth, a masked woman accosts Jorah and insists that he must protect Dany. Is this woman significant? Was she in the books?

So, I decided that I'd finally cave in and get into this show. But before I do, I just wanna ask a few things. First off, how well are the books covered? I get that everything can't be taken in, but nothing important is excluded at least, right?

Second, how much of the books have been covered so far? If I understand right, the first two seasons covered one of the first two books each, but the third/fourth seasons don't cover the third and fourth, or at least not entirely.

Third, have the showrunners announced how long they want to go on? These days I don't normally get into shows until after they've concluded or are close to ending, but I'm making an exception with this one for a reason I don't quite understand. I know that there are seven books, of which only five are published, so I was just wondering if the season 3/4 thing not corresponding to the book number was a one time thing or not, and whether or not they'll wait for the books to come out before writing the final season or seasons. The last one doesn't sound like an option though, cause if I understand right, it takes the author four to five years to get a book in the series out, but I don't actually know.

I'm sure one of the book readers can better answer your questions than me, but I'll try:

I believe the books are covered moderately well, obviously it's not perfect, and there are a few major issues that book readers have with the show, but overall, it stays fairly true to the general story.

I always forget which seasons are which books in regards to S3 and S4, I know it's posted earlier in this thread; I think S3 and S4 together are one book? Or S3 is one book and S4 is half of another, I can't recall.

I'm assuming they've stated in interviews some answer to this question, I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine they (and HBO) are willing to continue as long as there is source material to depict. Seasons 5 and 6 are already confirmed to be happening. Personally, I don't see this being any less than a 9+ season show when complete, unless something unexpected happens.

• Like 1

In S2E6 (I think, might have been E7), Dany and company attend a party in Qarth, a masked woman accosts Jorah and insists that he must protect Dany. Is this woman significant? Was she in the books?

I'm sure one of the book readers can better answer your questions than me, but I'll try:

I believe the books are covered moderately well, obviously it's not perfect, and there are a few major issues that book readers have with the show, but overall, it stays fairly true to the general story.

I always forget which seasons are which books in regards to S3 and S4, I know it's posted earlier in this thread; I think S3 and S4 together are one book? Or S3 is one book and S4 is half of another, I can't recall.

I'm assuming they've stated in interviews some answer to this question, I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine they (and HBO) are willing to continue as long as there is source material to depict. Seasons 5 and 6 are already confirmed to be happening. Personally, I don't see this being any less than a 9+ season show when complete, unless something unexpected happens.

Thank you! I did a little bit of research on that last question myself just a little bit ago, and I thought you might like to know they said they'd want to get to seven at least, but they envision around eighty hours, so I'm gonna guess 8-9 seasons, like you said. They also said that they will end before the books if they had to, which I thought was pretty interesting. Haven't figured out the book to season bit yet though, unfortunately.

1.the show covers the book fairly well for how massive the books are. some things are cut or condensed but the show hits on most of the most crucial points of the story.

2. after season 4 basically 3/5 published books are finished, but there is 2 more scheduled books to be released.

3. the showrunners have said they want to wrap the show up in 7 seasons with a possibility of having 8 seasons to finish this. books 4 and 5 are going to be condensed into season 5, books 6 and 7 will each get an individual season it seems. as it looks now the show will finish far before martin finishes the books sadly.

some season 5 casting news: do not read if you do not want to be spoiled.

nymeria has been cast. the actress keisha castle-hughes will be playing the sand snake in season 5.

keisha_castle_hughes.jpg

Edited by bran
  • Like 2

Bran I think you didn't see this in my last post so I'm quoting it in hopes that you see it here:

Anyway, took a break from my chronological rewatching of the series to rewatch Watchers on the Wall - it may be my favorite episode to date (I include the meeting with Mance, and Stannis's arrival as being in this episode since it was supposed to be that way and clearly filmed that way). Great fight scenes, great shots, great acting, great writing. The full episode dedication to the Wall story really helped the episode maximize its potential. Hope GoT does similar things in the future.

EDIT:

Was just reading up on Mance's history on ASOIAF wiki, and mistakenly revealed a mega spoiler.....his ultimate fate :( No more wiki for me, I've been cool with all previous spoilers I've seen: Cersei's punishment walk, Stoneheart, etc., but this was upsetting.

Edited by OmarBradley

1.the show covers the book fairly well for how massive the books are. some things are cut or condensed but the show hits on most of the most crucial points of the story.

2. after season 4 basically 3/5 published books are finished, but there is 2 more scheduled books to be released.

3. the showrunners have said they want to wrap the show up in 7 seasons with a possibility of having 8 seasons to finish this. books 4 and 5 are going to be condensed into season 5, books 6 and 7 will each get an individual season it seems. as it looks now the show will finish far before martin finishes the books sadly.

I could have swore I responded to this earlier. Guess not though, so sorry for getting back to it so late. Been busy watching the first season of this show, among other things.

So as it currently stands, the series will most likely end before the books, and they'll be getting at most 8 seasons? Glad to hear it has a finish line in sight, but it sucks to hear about the book thing. Are you sure about the fourth and fifth books just being put into season five though? I mean, I've read that the books will run together as one season since they take place at the same time for the most part, but I don't recall seeing that they'd only be one season. Seems like something that would cover two seasons, but that's coming from someone who hasn't read the books.

Regardless of that, I'm glad there's an end in sight. Now, I just hope it doesn't get canned after season six, unless that's a decent enough stopping point. Thanks for all of your answers, bran. Very informative and helpful :)

• Like 1

Bran I think you didn't see this in my last post so I'm quoting it in hopes that you see it here:

Anyway, took a break from my chronological rewatching of the series to rewatch Watchers on the Wall - it may be my favorite episode to date (I include the meeting with Mance, and Stannis's arrival as being in this episode since it was supposed to be that way and clearly filmed that way). Great fight scenes, great shots, great acting, great writing. The full episode dedication to the Wall story really helped the episode maximize its potential. Hope GoT does similar things in the future.

EDIT:

Was just reading up on Mance's history on ASOIAF wiki, and mistakenly revealed a mega spoiler.....his ultimate fate :( No more wiki for me, I've been cool with all previous spoilers I've seen: Cersei's punishment walk, Stoneheart, etc., but this was upsetting.

im sorry omar didnt see that part.

as for quaithe, she is in the book, she shows up sporadically from time to time especially in ADWD, so you should see more of her in the next season of the show.

as for how significant she is, she seems quite significant but she is really a wild card not really knowing much about her. there is a lot of speculation to exactly who she is and what her goal is but she seems to help dany and seems to know of things that dany doesnt yet know.

she lays out quite a bit of stuff to her, but it is all cryptic at first but becomes more clear as the story progresses, although some of the things she says to dany are still cryptic and up for debate.

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

I've finished watching s4 now, and I think it's a very good show, but far from shows like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. Some of the storylines just aren't interesting, like Bran and his superpowers or that fat guy trying to bang the unattractive girl with the baby at The Wall. I thought the ending of s3, where some of the last remaining Starks were killed, was pretty cool - definitely didn't see that coming.

• Like 2

I've finished watching s4 now, and I think it's a very good show, but far from shows like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. Some of the storylines just aren't interesting, like Bran and his superpowers or that fat guy trying to bang the unattractive girl with the baby at The Wall. I thought the ending of s3, where some of the last remaining Starks were killed, was pretty cool - definitely didn't see that coming.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Brans storyline, but it is incredibly important to the story.

Sam and Gilly, not so much.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Brans storyline, but it is incredibly important to the story.

Despite her being incredibly bucktoothed, I have a soft spot for Hannah Murray. That helps.

Definitely less bloated.

vCG0G3W.jpg

Still definitely would.

How does this guy takes so much time to write? I bet he writes 2 pages a week and he's bored.

what worries me is if the show doesnt have TWOW and ADOS go by when the scripts are written and D+D have to improvise and write with no guide, the show will begin to suffer from that. when D+D have freelanced and have improvised in the past on the show, the results were pretty bad.

How does this guy takes so much time to write? I bet he writes 2 pages a week and he's bored.

what worries me is if the show doesnt have TWOW and ADOS go by when the scripts are written and D+D have to improvise and write with no guide, the show will begin to suffer from that. when D+D have freelanced and have improvised in the past on the show, the results were pretty bad.

Who's D+D?

Bran just started getting interesting to me, it dragged for a really long time. Sam and Gilly has been annoying since the second they started it, I think it's the worst storyline on the show - I can't see it's story relevance (at least not now), and I really don'y understand the large amount of screen time dedicated to it.