Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

It looks like there's hope that the 6th book comes out this year afterall.

"I don't often attend the World Fantasy Convention (not to be confused with the World Science Fiction Convention, which I have only missed once thirty years), but I was there the last time it was held in Saratoga, and I had a great time. A terrific town, a wonderful con.

This year the convention is returning to Saratoga once again, and I was hoping to return as well. I'm not a guest of honor, and I'm not (so far as I know) getting an award; I just wanted to go.

Reluctantly, however, I've just had to scratch Saratoga off my list of 2015 appearances. For no reason having to do with the con itself. I am sure it will be terrific. It's just a matter of time.

I have too much to do. Too many things on my plate. Son of Kong foremost amongst them.

My apologies to anyone who saw Saratoga on my Appearances page and planned to go in order to see me. I won't be there. Go anyway. You'll have a great time.

Also, I have decided against attending this year's San Diego Comicon. Same reason. But since Comicon was never listed on my Appearances page, scratching it is not as big a deal.

(Should I complete and deliver WINDS OF WINTER before these cons roll round, I reserve the right to change my mind)."

Source: http://grrm.livejournal.com/412882.html

He also mentioned on his blog not long ago that he's deciding whether to write an episode for season 6 or not. So there's hope as well that season 6 might at least follow Winds of Winter plots too I'd assume.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HBO's 'Game Of Thrones' Will Spoil The Ending Of George R.R. Martin's Books

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/23/game-of-thrones-ending-books_n_6922748.html

Sorry book readers, but "Game of Thrones" creators D.B. Weiss and David Benioff are going to deliver the spoiler of all spoilers.

The two showrunners for the HBO series are some of the few people who know the ending to George R.R. Martin's still unfinished The Song of Ice and Fire book series, which "Game of Thrones" is based on. Last year, they revealed to Vanity Fair that the author explained the ending for "every character" in Westeros. Martin, who recently announced he's skipping fan conventions to finish Book 6, The Winds of Winter, said in 2013 that the the odds of the show catching up to the books "are very long." HBO programming president Michael Lombardo also echoed Martin at the time, telling Entertainment Weekly, "Let’s all hope and pray that’s not going to be a problem."

But while speaking at the Oxford Union, Benioff confirmed that spoilers are most definitely coming soon. "We’ll eventually, basically, meet up at pretty much the same place where George is going," Benioff said. According to the co-creator, there will be parts of the show that stray from the books, as we already know about Season 5's altered storylines and surprising deaths not in Martin's work. "I kind of wish there were some things we didn’t have to spoil, in terms of the books," Benioff continued, "but we’re kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The show must go on."

The showrunners have expressed their hope multiple times for "Game of Thrones" to run for only seven seasons, but HBO recently revealed that they want more, if possible. If the show extends beyond Season 7, that would give Martin more time to complete his final book in the series, A Dream of Spring, and avoid spoilers in the show for a while longer. But as Benioff said, "We can't put the show on hiatus [...] so we have to kind of keep pushing forward."

I don't think it's a big deal about the final ending or

Jon snow's mother, since that's almost obvious anyway.

However, the invitable bastardization of certain storylines and killing certain characters next season that still have roles to play in the next book is.

If they kill Selmy and give his expanded book moments at the end of the story to Jorah instead, I'll be disapointed.

If they kill Stannis off on screen for shock value it'll be even worse.

Minor spoilers, episode 5, 6, 7 titles revealed

Episode 5: “Kill the Boy”

Episode 6: “Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken”

Episode 7: “The Gift”

the show could go 50 seasons and it still wouldnt give martin enough time.

From what you've seen from the changes/original content they added via the TV show, do you think they could write 2 whole seasons from scratch that would be good enough?

Just curious.

Edited by AtariLegend

the show could go 50 seasons and it still wouldnt give martin enough time.

From what you've seen from the changes/original content they added via the TV show, do you think they could write 2 whole seasons from scratch that would be good enough?

Just curious.

in short... no :lol: especially after the yara/theon stuff from last season.

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

"Luckily, we’ve been talking about this with George for a long time, ever since we saw this could happen, and we know where things are heading. And so we’ll eventually, basically, meet up at pretty much the same place where George is going; there might be a few deviations along the route, but we’re heading towards the same destination."

I think it's great that tv show will follow (hopefully) the storyline from the books. It's Martin's fictional world, so it should end like he wants.

"Luckily, we’ve been talking about this with George for a long time, ever since we saw this could happen, and we know where things are heading. And so we’ll eventually, basically, meet up at pretty much the same place where George is going; there might be a few deviations along the route, but we’re heading towards the same destination."

I think it's great that tv show will follow (hopefully) the storyline from the books. It's Martin's fictional world, so it should end like he wants.

I'm sure it will end how he envisioned it, it's just a matter of learning that ending from the television show versus the books.

Benioff and Weiss address their silence on cut Game of Thrones characters

There have been some noticeable and controversial character cuts from Game of Thrones, changes that fans of the books grumble over and debate with passion.

In a new article, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss talk with Entertainment Weekly about their decision to not address these decisions with viewers.

The quotes from Benioff and Weiss don’t contain spoilers; however, fans should be aware that the text and the photo at the EW site may be considered a spoiler, so follow the link with caution.

When questioned about the lack of a particular character, D.B. Weiss told EW, “We reached that point that commenting individually on what is or is not in the show from the books is a prospect of diminishing returns.” He goes on to say, “Early on in the process, it was something we talked about a fair amount. [The change of strategy is] not out of any disrespect; the fact that people care enough about the books and the show to have arguments about it is something we have huge gratitude and respect for. I just don’t think there’s value in anything we have tosay about it. It opens a Pandora’s box of questions you could spend your whole life answering, and the net result is that what you said will probably make people less happy than if you hadn’t said anything.”

Apparently, Benioff feels that fans will understand better, that it’ll be “easier once everything is out and it’s 70 hours,” the complete seven seasons. He explains to EW, “People will complain about things because they don’t know what’s coming up ahead. He adds, “Not that people shouldn’t complain—that’s why God invented the Internet—but I think we’d be better able to have that argument later. Sometimes we’re going in a different order or telling a different story. We think the story will all make sense at the end. Otherwise it will be eight wasted years.”

From what Benioff is saying, he is asking for trust from the ASOIAF-reading crowd that the cuts or shifts in the story will make sense. But having faith is tough for some fans whose favorite characters have already been reduced or cut. That’s a necessity of adapting a huge book series, but I don’t think the debate over whether they were right to cut or keep a character will end anytime soon. People will hope that a cut beloved character is going to show up, until the bitter end.

Source: http://watchersonthewall.com/benioff-and-weiss-address-their-silence-on-cut-game-of-thrones-characters/

Edited by AtariLegend

I'd find it ironic actually if they included Victarion in the same show they chose to make Shae a strong female character and Ceresi sympathetic. The show in a sense would be making itself sexist, in it's efforts to make itself not look like that. I was listening to the chapter yesterday where Ceseri basically offers to let Ned fuck her so he doesn't say anything to Robert.

As for the other, probably cut

unless there's a swerve where he actually is Daario.

Major spoiler

Richard Brake who played the character rumored to be the Night's King was confirmed to be in season 5 by his management company.

There's been a few rumours for several months that he shows up in Hardhome for a while now. Some are contradictory, but the most believeable one is that he see's Jon there and visa/versa.

The only variation on the rumours is about who dies in the episode, which I'll skip :P.

Edited by AtariLegend

The 10th preview chapter from Winds got released today. It's a

Sansa
one http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/Minor spoilers, since the show is obviously going to deviate massively from it in season 5.

On another note Martin basically confirmed we'll see

Bran
again in Winds, ironically on April fools. Just incase :P.

Cutting Euron Crow`s Eye and Victarion is a fucking punishable offence fuck them. Seems like the show will go down the drain as it nears the ending.

I understand that these are... book characters only?

it looks like it, even though they were mentioned in season 1 not by name specifically but they were mentioned but it seems now they have been cut.