Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

UPcmC7b.gif

:facepalm:

As far as I am concerned raping Sansa was the invention of the show writers. That was awful. The whole episode was terrible.

The Sand Snakes should have been cut from the show. If they were to cut a great female character like Arianne Martell and turn the Sand Snakes into cartoonish caricatures, why bother?

when the show writers go off script it just makes for an odd experience. the sansa rape scene was just odd(as was the jaime/cersi rape scene last season) and her whole character development has been odd, they try to make sansa into a bunch of different characters that im confused with what she is supposed to be. the wedding was really rushed and in the books was far more brutal, i mean jeyne poole's story is one of the most sad and horrific of the whole story.

the sand snakes/dorne and the cutting of arianne martell is just bad at this point to be honest. arianne martell like you said is such a damn good character(as are the sand snakes, even the cut ones) that cutting her from the show and bastardizing the whole dorne storyline just pisses me off. the only upside is we get more bronn.

What is the point of going to Dorne if they are going to cut one of the POV characters and reduce the others to parodies? And yes, Bronn is probably going to die since he probably got poisoned by the spear.

Man this season is going down the tubes.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All they have going for them is shock value.

Yup, the story is not anywhere near as strong as it was even last season. It's starting to look like a big mess that's dragging out without a destination.

They should just cancel the whole thing, and start an action/comedy (Beverly Hills Cops, Rush Hour, etc.) with Bronn, Jamie, and Tyrion.

• Like 1

All they have going for them is shock value.

Yup, the story is not anywhere near as strong as it was even last season. It's starting to look like a big mess that's dragging out without a destination.

They should just cancel the whole thing, and start an action/comedy (Beverly Hills Cops, Rush Hour, etc.) with Bronn, Jamie, and Tyrion.

I thought it started going downhill at Season 4 with Karl Tanner the Fookin' Legend of Gin Alley and Yara's stupid raid on Dreadfort. It had me worried that if that is the best they could do, I hate to see what else they were going to come up with. It seemed like they were trying to one up GRRM who is not the best writer but the took the time on his material. That is what made Seasons 1 and 2 the best. Season 3 was pretty good too but you start to see the split.

They cut or fucked up the best stuff which IMO is the greyjoys and dorne

To be fair, I don't think any actress could play Arianne Martell to my satisfaction.

Least favorite episode of the season so far. Like the others have said, story is just getting stupid on a lot of fronts - and I haven't even read the books, though I've read a decent bit of ASOIF wiki.

The last scene was the worst scene of the season by far, worst ending to an episode that I can remember.

How does the wedding/wedding night go in the books?

And how did Jamie and Bronn go from a field miles away from Sunspear..... to being in the fucking royal garden?!?!? You'd think there's some security?

And yeah, Sunspear is not coming across cool at all - they're shooting themselves in the foot my limiting the entirety of Dorne to one fucking garden.

Such a shame, this show showed so much promise in S4, every episode was great or better. S5 started out strong, but after episode 3, has really hit a lull. The need to pick it back up next episode of they want to keep the GoT momentum up, for me at least.

the wedding in the books

basically it was a huge event at winterfell all the high names among the boltons and there allies namely the frey's and wyman manderly. along the road three freys come up missing, through some course of events that would take forever getting to the three freys were murdered by manderly(who was loyal to stark/stannis) and baked into pies who were then fed to roose bolton and namely his wife fat walda frey and the rest of the frey/bolton host.

in the book ramsay is set to marry "arya stark" who in reality is jeyne poole who is sansa's best friend. a lot of sick and horrible shit happens to jeyne during the preparation and lead up to the wedding, she is beaten and it is alluded to that ramsey made her have sex with a dog. ramsay wants theon to give away the bride ramsay knows its not arya but he humiliates, whips and rapes her to continue to fuck with theon. during the wedding night ramsay makes theon sexually assault jeyne before ramsay finally "bedded" her. there is more to the whole wedding at winterfell but they still might use some parts so i dont want to spoil more, but yeah what happened to jeyne in the books is dark and grim and its really sad as well.

Just watched the episode - that's gotta be the dumbest "fight" I have seen in the show. Who is choreographing this shit? Awful. Also, the last scene does leave a bad taste in the mouth but not for the right reasons. They're trying too hard. We still have four episodes to go, but this is definitely my least favorite season so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KEtygXWhY4

It wasn't just the fighting, logic that they'd all happen to cross paths all at once in the water gardens in broad daylight, it was the bad acting too. If you rewatch the scene you can see the girls making angry faces.

I seen some reviewers call this Xena Warrior Princess bad, but that was more realistic at times.

Areo would already know who Obara is, why does she decide to announce her name there?

I like AGOT and the books a lot, but I am so sick of the needless shock value and cruelty everywhere. You can tell a lot of it is just there to shock you, and it can come off as tasteless. Violence is great, when used properly and to enhance a story. I hope the Boltons get killed off by Stannis, Danny comes, and the big finale is them vs each other and the Walkers (with the John thing in there, too). That'd be a good wrap up. The show is also suffering a bit now from all the death.

I bet they kill of Stannis without a battle for shock value in the last episode. There's no way they can do a pink letter and they supposedly spent alot of the budget on the Hardhome episode in a few weeks.

They also were hyping something they think is a bigger deal than the red wedding, I'd be surprised if it's Jon's storyline.

Edited by AtariLegend

I think it's hinted abit in the TWOW preview chapters what's going to happen at least at the start of the book, but it's clear the story is far from over. Alot's going to happen and it's probably going to filled with plenty of twists and surprise deaths since it's the penultimate book, but even if D/D have the outline I'd assume it wouldn't be good enough for them. They seemed dead set before this season started that it all had to end in season 7 when HBO wouldn't have minded it lasting a bit longer. Now after they've rushed through this season and changed/cut so much there might not be an opportunity in a year when they're trying to write the end to backtrack if ratings are falling in season 6.

There's just no way in 2 seasons to end the story in a satisfying way, there's too many plot threads.

Edited by AtariLegend

I thought it started going downhill at Season 4 with Karl Tanner the Fookin' Legend of Gin Alley and Yara's stupid raid on Dreadfort. It had me worried that if that is the best they could do, I hate to see what else they were going to come up with. It seemed like they were trying to one up GRRM who is not the best writer but the took the time on his material. That is what made Seasons 1 and 2 the best. Season 3 was pretty good too but you start to see the split.

I thought Karl was S3? Though I do agree the Yara stunt was absolutely stupid.

the wedding in the books

basically it was a huge event at winterfell all the high names among the boltons and there allies namely the frey's and wyman manderly. along the road three freys come up missing, through some course of events that would take forever getting to the three freys were murdered by manderly(who was loyal to stark/stannis) and baked into pies who were then fed to roose bolton and namely his wife fat walda frey and the rest of the frey/bolton host.

in the book ramsay is set to marry "arya stark" who in reality is jeyne poole who is sansa's best friend. a lot of sick and horrible shit happens to jeyne during the preparation and lead up to the wedding, she is beaten and it is alluded to that ramsey made her have sex with a dog. ramsay wants theon to give away the bride ramsay knows its not arya but he humiliates, whips and rapes her to continue to fuck with theon. during the wedding night ramsay makes theon sexually assault jeyne before ramsay finally "bedded" her. there is more to the whole wedding at winterfell but they still might use some parts so i dont want to spoil more, but yeah what happened to jeyne in the books is dark and grim and its really sad as well.

Yeah I actually did some ASOIAF reading after I posted, tbh, I think they should have dropped the whole Ramsay getting married storyline altogether, throwing Sansa in was dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KEtygXWhY4

It wasn't just the fighting, logic that they'd all happen to cross paths all at once in the water gardens in broad daylight, it was the bad acting too. If you rewatch the scene you can see the girls making angry faces.

\

I bet they kill of Stannis without a battle for shock value in the last episode. There's no way they can do a pink letter and they supposedly spent alot of the budget on the Hardhome episode in a few weeks.

They also were hyping something they think is a bigger deal than the red wedding, I'd be surprised if it's Jon's storyline.

Yeah that was dumb, the fight scene in the garden - didn't even show how Bronn and Jamie got into the city... into the palace... then into the central garden.

D&D have it in for Stannis anyway. They are just building him up so we can root for him only to kill him off for shock value. I don't think I could go on watching after that.

"Oh for fuck's sake" Bronn said what was on my mind.

Better not.

There's just no way in 2 seasons to end the story in a satisfying way, there's too many plot threads.

Especially given the state of the story currently, it's still a lot of set-up. They haven't really reached a climax IMO yet, maybe the showrunners considered the last 2 episodes of S4 to be the "climax," and while I enjoyed them, they certainly didn't set up a resolution, if anything they created more story possibility.

Can't say I'm enjoying this season as much as the previous seasons. And this is coming from someone who hasn't read the books and has no clue on context and where things are going. It just seems to muddle along. As bad as this sounds, the ending of episode came as a bit of relief as at least something noteworthy happened (and again, as someone who hasn't read the books and only knows this story line, it seemed like unavoidable scene).

Four episodes left, hopefully things pick up a bit.

Can't say I'm enjoying this season as much as the previous seasons. And this is coming from someone who hasn't read the books and has no clue on context and where things are going. It just seems to muddle along. As bad as this sounds, the ending of episode came as a bit of relief as at least something noteworthy happened (and again, as someone who hasn't read the books and only knows this story line, it seemed like unavoidable scene).

Four episodes left, hopefully things pick up a bit.

These shows usually get good later on. It is the HBO formula.

People are surprised that Sansa got raped?

It was inevitable once she was left with that sadistic freak.

I think it was more that they showed it. They could have easily have had Ramsay grab her, throw her on the bed - and cut to credits. It would have served the same story purpose, without the shock of watching it, and watching Theon watch it.

A lot of these things that get complained about wouldn't get complaints if they did it once every 2 seasons or so, but it's like every episode they're trying to figure out how to make it more gratuitous. It's like when Futurama figured out Fry was a meme, and tried to become self-aware, it backfires.

Edited by OmarBradley

I think it was more that they showed it. They could have easily have had Ramsay grab her, throw her on the bed - and cut to credits. It would have served the same story purpose, without the shock of watching it, and watching Theon watch it.

A lot of these things that get complained about wouldn't get complaints if they did it once every 2 seasons or so, but it's like every episode they're trying to figure out how to make it more gratuitous. It's like when Futurama figured out Fry was a meme, and tried to become self-aware, it backfires.

Didn't they only show Theon's reaction?

Didn't they only show Theon's reaction?

They showed Sansa's face, and her moans/groans.

Really wanted to get a glimpse of Sansa's tits. :(

I really wanted her to have a moment of logic where she says fuck this and get's on a horse back to the Eyrie, the impenetrable fortress protected by the mountains with a big army where her cousin is the lord and everyone hates the Lanisters?

Looking forward to the moment where TV show Sansa learns that Bran/Rickon are still alive and that she's married Ramsay for nothing.