Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

Why did Jamie not meet with Prince Doran last night? A Lannister breaks into the summer home of the Dornish royal family, and all they show is him meeting Marcella in a room.......

Also, aren't there supposed to be 7 Sand Snakes? Or did I read something incorrectly?

8 Sandsnakes, but character consolidation. Be thankful given how bad these ones are portrayed.

Jamie will meet Doran in episode 9, they filmed it for that episode in the making off clips. So you get to find out where Dorne in the TV show goes.

You do not want these people making up their own plotlines for another 3-4 seasons without source material, it'll end up cancelled before they ever got to the end.

There's no way they'd get through the next 2 1000+ page books in 2 seasons too even if they were out given how much is still left. Anything past episode 10 this season is going to be very interesting.

Edited by AtariLegend

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did Jamie not meet with Prince Doran last night? A Lannister breaks into the summer home of the Dornish royal family, and all they show is him meeting Marcella in a room.......

Also, aren't there supposed to be 7 Sand Snakes? Or did I read something incorrectly?

8 Sandsnakes, but character consolidation. Be thankful given how bad these ones are portrayed.

Jamie will meet Doran in episode 9, they filmed it for that episode in the making off clips. So you get to find out where Dorne in the TV show goes.

You do not want these people making up their own plotlines for another 3-4 seasons without source material, it'll end up cancelled before they ever got to the end.

There's no way they'd get through the next 2 1000+ page books in 2 seasons too even if they were out given how much is still left. Anything past episode 10 this season is going to be very interesting.

Yeah, that's what I'm sadly coming to realize. I want this show to go on for 10-11 seasons..... but not if it's completely original material developed by the producers, they continue to pander to all of the show's controversial/shock material - and it's starting to really take a toll on the quality of story telling. Shame.

GRRM is just writing too slowly (not that we should be surprised by that) for this to work. :(

Kristian Nairn said in an interview that the Bran story would be ignored in Season 5. It doesn't surprise me one bit.

I would like to know what happened to Robert's bastard, though.

There isn't really much Bran story left before the unreleased (The Winds of Winter) book. If they would have had Bran in this season, they probably would have sent him to Winterfell and had him get rapped by Ramsay.

Gendry in the books is a complete 3rd-tier at best side character, Robert has other bastards. In the show they just used Gendry in the place of others to consolidate characters.

Hopefully we would hear from them again when/if The Winds of Winter is released. I didn't know Gendry was a 3rd-tier in the books, I guess his story ended when Ser Davos saved him.

The show panders to the Lowest Common Denominator. Dude-bros who just watch the show for some blood, gore and titties.

Haven't watched the episode yet, but who's tits do we see?

Haven't watched the episode yet, but who's tits do we see?

Tyene Sand. Nice little tits.

• Like 1

HBO would never, ever, cancel this show. It's a ratings juggernaut for a cable network.

It's also been established that George R.R. Martin has sat down with the producers of the show (Benioff and Weiss) and explained to them how the series ends (i.e., who wins the game). I'd have a hard time believing that the show producers would discard the conclusion Martin has planned and write their own.

More than likely is that Benioff and Weiss draw from the books as inspiration on how to get characters from point A to point B. They're also merging multiple storylines that would have been extremely difficult, if not impossible, to televise separately into the narratives of the already established characters (Sansa's story seems to be incorporating some of what happened to Jeyne Pool in the books). Ultimately, I have little doubt that all the pieces will end up where they're suppose to as Martin envisions it. But due to the limited run of the show relative to the books (10 episodes per season) and logistical considerations (the kids in the show are growing up too fast compared to their counterparts in the books), they're making decisions that makes the best television they can while still honouring how Martin wants the story to end.

The show panders to the Lowest Common Denominator. Dude-bros who just watch the show for some blood, gore and titties.

well, what else this show has to offer (besides what you stated plus some comedy)?

let's not put GOT some sort of artistic pedestal, please

I am not saying the show is artistic but they could stop pretending their audience needs a pair of tits to keep our intention. The books are filled with sex but it was just a natural part of life, the show used what fans call "sexposition" like whenever a new character is introduced or a character is talking about their plots, there has to be sex. Littlefinger telling to random whores his plans while they are fucking. Is that really necessary? Sure, the girls were hot, but I could do with watching Littlefinder do his thing without explaining it to anyone.

The show's low-points used to be the excessive nudity. Now it has become one of the high points as the writing as devolved into bad fan ficiton.

• Like 2

Casting calls announced for season 6

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-season-6-casting-has-begun-and-heres-the-list/

The first role on the table is…

Pirate, man in his 40’s to late 50’s. He’s “an infamous pirate who has terrorized seas all around the world. Cunning, ruthless, with a touch of madness.”
He’s a dangerous-looking man. A very good part this season.

We’d heard unconfirmed rumors that Theon’s uncle Euron Greyjoy would be appearing in season 6, and this sounds like him, more than his brother Victarion.

Next up is the one I’m personally most excited about:

Father. Aged 50’s to 60’s, he’s one of the greatest soldiers in Westeros- a humorless martinet, severe and intimidating. He demands martial discipline in the field and in his home. It’s described as “a very good part” for next year and that he’s “centrally involved” in a protagonist’s storyline.

This is a clear description of Randyll Tarly, Sam’s abusive father and the famous soldier mentioned by Stannis Baratheon this a couple episodes ago. Some had guessed the discussion might mean we’re seeing him next year, and they were right.

The next three characters appear to be linked to this storyline- most likely Sam’s mother, brother Dickon and one of his sisters. All have the same comment about being centrally involved in a protagonist’s storyline.

Mother, in her 50’s. She’s a sweet, plump, and adoring mother, and has a soft spot for one of her children who benefits from her decency.

Sister, in her early 20s. She’s a kind, friendly and unpretentious woman.

Brother, in his early to mid-20’s . Athletic, a good hunter, an excellent swordsman, manly, not particularly bright but the favourite child of the father.

Next up:

Priest, in his 40’s or 50’s. A gruff ex-soldier who found religion. Now a no-nonsense rural priest who ministers to the poor of the countryside. He’s salt-of-the-earth man who has weathered many battles.

Sounds like Septon Meribald, although it’s a little surprising we’d see him next year instead of this year. If it is him, that hints at someone surviving the season.

A few more roles:

Leading Actress, in her early 40’s, she’s an elegant actress with a traveling theatre company. Fun, charismatic, rum-drinking actress in the troupe.

Priestess. Mid-20’s to early 30’s. Any ethnicity- she’s beautiful, intense, and magnetic.

Fierce Warrior, a tall man in 30’s or 40’s with a powerful physique. They’re looking for someone with “mixed ethnicity” for the role.

They’re also searching for a trio of young boys with very specific descriptions. My instinct says another flashback- perhaps this time via the weirwood network?

A large boy, with an actor who is 10-12 but playing 7 or 8. He’s described as “a clever boy” who seems too large for his age. He’s big and tall but not fat. “Characterful squat features” are a plus for this part. it’s specified that this is a one-time appearance.

12 year old boy, with brown hair and blue eyes. He needs to use a Northern accent. He has scenes where he has to spar with a wooden sword.
The length of the role isn’t specified.

7 year old boy with dark brown hair, a narrow face and green eyes. He also has a Northern accent. He also spars with the wooden sword, so it’s safe to assume it’s the same scene. This role is similarly open-ended, the description only stating that the character is being ‘introduced.’

It’s worth noting that Sean Bean has green eyes, so if this is for a flashback role, the write-up would be a good fit for a child Ned.

Edited by AtariLegend

its just the cuts and condensing have caught up to the show. martin said it would eventually and with doing this D+D has to free form a bit and its not there strong suit. i understand with a source material that is so big with so many characters certain things will have to be cut but if hbo didnt care about going 10 seasons or even doing an extended final season why cut and alter so much? or at least why cut out some of the better parts of the books or the cool surprises like lady stoneheart. stoneheart wouldnt be a full time character and would only need to show up for 2 or maybe 3 episodes but it would have kept the brotherhood within the show and would have been able to keep jaime/brienne story intact instead of what we have now.

• Like 1

its just the cuts and condensing have caught up to the show. martin said it would eventually and with doing this D+D has to free form a bit and its not there strong suit. i understand with a source material that is so big with so many characters certain things will have to be cut but if hbo didnt care about going 10 seasons or even doing an extended final season why cut and alter so much? or at least why cut out some of the better parts of the books or the cool surprises like lady stoneheart. stoneheart wouldnt be a full time character and would only need to show up for 2 or maybe 3 episodes but it would have kept the brotherhood within the show and would have been able to keep jaime/brienne story intact instead of what we have now.

What do you think happens to Jon at the start of Winds? I don't think I've seen you say.

I'd prefer the Jamie/Brieene/Stoneheart plot, but I mean if you believe in resurrection then the show ends up with too many complaints about it turning into Heroes. It's the only major change I can slightly understand why as to (only if I was in their position).

I think we'll see Balon die this year and the Greyjoys next year, I also think someone else will end up playing Aegon's role from the book whether it makes sense or not.

What do you think happens to Jon at the start of Winds? I don't think I've seen you say.

I'd prefer the Jamie/Brieene/Stoneheart plot, but I mean if you believe in resurrection then the show ends up with too many complaints about it turning into Heroes. It's the only major change I can slightly understand why as to (only if I was in their position).

I think we'll see Balon die this year and the Greyjoys next year, I also think someone else will end up playing Aegon's role from the book whether it makes sense or not.

i have been thinking it will involve ghost, mel and shireen somehow which will lead to jon snow coming back. i think mel will try to use shireens blood for some kind of purpose, while jon is warged into ghost

Potential TV show/book spoiler about the last few episodes

There's rumors about Benjen showing up alive or dead this season. Not really sure where the rumors came from other than imdb, but it would make sense for Benjen if he's still alive to be at Hardhome. We know the Night's King will definitely be there though :P.

well, what else this show has to offer (besides what you stated plus some comedy)?

let's not put GOT some sort of artistic pedestal, please

I am not saying the show is artistic but they could stop pretending their audience needs a pair of tits to keep our intention. The books are filled with sex but it was just a natural part of life, the show used what fans call "sexposition" like whenever a new character is introduced or a character is talking about their plots, there has to be sex. Littlefinger telling to random whores his plans while they are fucking. Is that really necessary? Sure, the girls were hot, but I could do with watching Littlefinder do his thing without explaining it to anyone.

The show's low-points used to be the excessive nudity. Now it has become one of the high points as the writing as devolved into bad fan ficiton.

The scene where Darrio gives Danny the heads of his friends while she's taking a bath was the ultimate sexposition. Yes Emila Clarke is attractive, but no wonder she supposedly "wanted a no nudity" clause.

The Stormcrows heads in the book that just abandoned Stannis last episode? Way to go with moving names around from TV show - Book :P.

Edited by AtariLegend