Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pros: J BEAR to the rescue! Drago kicked so much ass, the entire fighting pit scene made Dany's storyline worth it

Cons: Dorne still sucks... hard, Bravos is starting to lag and the pedophile scene was unnecessary (we know he's bad already!), Brenne has done shit, no Stoneheart again (I give up)

The VERY bad: WTFFFFFF that scene sucked so hard. That was BAD, no way around it. Not only is Stannis not the Mannis, but I hope he and the Boltons meet horrible demises (along with their whole entourages)

Yeah the last 15-20 were awesome, worth the episode. The Dorne storyline was so pointless this season though, especially given that it ended in a happy ending. There is no where for that story to continue too..... I don't know if they did it because they wanted to show Dorne (which they didn't even really do....), but it's clear now that it will likely have no greater effect on the overall story, what a waste of time.

The Shireen thing was so dumb. Stannis said 2(I think?) episodes ago, "Are you mad?! Get out of my tent, that's my daughter!" We're to believe without even seeing a scene of her convincing him that he magically changed his mind? So fucking dumb. Like Georgy said many pages ago, all they have is shock value, and they're abusing it. Which is odd, because if they hadn't done this scene, this episode actually would have been quite good all the way through - on par with the rest of good GoT.

It was a bit obvious a dragon was going to show up at that point, but it was still pretty badass.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

The OP Ramsay and 20 good men jokes are hilarious

Yeah completely against the grain of the story/books. The magic things are magical things, however the rules are supposed to be grounded in reality for everything else.

It's not really a story where anything can happen, if Ramsay is suddenly Joker level invincible and always wins. I guess Stannis the great military mind doesn't have any "good men". It's going to be really silly if Ramsay survives Sunday.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think he will survive. The Walkers will be the focus of the end game, and that won't start until at least halfway into next season at the earliest. It seems they want to keep a super villain in the fold, so sadly, I feel like Ramsay will survive until then. Stannis is going to die this week and good riddance!

This season barely reflects those books apart from Cerseri/Jon/Danny/Stannis vaguely (which have completely different characterizations/motivations). Other story-lines which are completely different in terms of destination.

It's really not reflective on AFFC/ADWD. They might not have been ASOS, but it's like comparing "Attack of the Clones" with "The Empire Strikes Back" it's that hacked/edited and rewrote.

Stannis killed one of his brothers, had no love for the other, and chopped off the fingers of his best friend. Burning Shireen was par for the course.....it was in his nature.

That's a steep step though......... not a logical line IMO.

Especially after he gawked at and ridiculed Melisandre two episodes ago for even suggesting the idea.

Stannis killed one of his brothers, had no love for the other, and chopped off the fingers of his best friend. Burning Shireen was par for the course.....it was in his nature.

Well in fairness he did feel bad about it in ACOK :P. They were about to battle the next day and if you accepted Robert as King via his rebellion victory, Stannis was the true heir.

He was annoyed by Robert's antics, but he accepted them. He didn't conspire to kill him. Obviously these details are excluded from the TV show and any scene that humanized Stannis.

As for Davos, well Davos was a smuggler. Davos did end up pretty well afterwards thanks to Stannis as well.

The fact is his characterization was driven by a man who believed in his duty to the realm and to his daughter as he states multiple times later on in the story including at the start of "The Winds of Winter".

Why would you want it, then?" Davos asked him.

"It is not a question of wanting. The throne is mine, as Robert's heir. That is law. After me, it must pass to my daughter, unless Selyse should finally give me a son." He ran three fingers lightly down the table, over the layers of smooth hard varnish, dark with age. "I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother.

They made Trent a pedophile? Isn't he a douche enough as it is? What the fuck?

Stannis was okay with killing Renly in the book, Renly was planning on fighting him and possibly killing him anyway. But for Shireen, he has intended her to be his heir, he even says it in The Winds of Winter. It makes no sense for Stannis to kill her. The only thing that does make sense is that Mel and the Queen Seylyse or whatever the fuck her name was were left behind at The Wall in care of Shireen who was probably burned at The Wall while Stannis marches to Winterfell. It seems unlikely he would have sent for his family and Melisandre.

The show also ignores that Stannis's knights are divided by Queen's Men (they follow Lady Selyse but really Melisandre) and the Kings Men (they follow Stannis). I think some of the Queens men were left behind to protect the Queen and Mel, so they were probably enthusiastic about the burning.

• Like 2

Pros: J BEAR to the rescue! Drago kicked so much ass, the entire fighting pit scene made Dany's storyline worth it

Cons: Dorne still sucks... hard, Bravos is starting to lag and the pedophile scene was unnecessary (we know he's bad already!), Brenne has done shit, no Stoneheart again (I give up)

The VERY bad: WTFFFFFF that scene sucked so hard. That was BAD, no way around it. Not only is Stannis not the Mannis, but I hope he and the Boltons meet horrible demises (along with their whole entourages)

Yeah the last 15-20 were awesome, worth the episode. The Dorne storyline was so pointless this season though, especially given that it ended in a happy ending. There is no where for that story to continue too..... I don't know if they did it because they wanted to show Dorne (which they didn't even really do....), but it's clear now that it will likely have no greater effect on the overall story, what a waste of time.

The Shireen thing was so dumb. Stannis said 2(I think?) episodes ago, "Are you mad?! Get out of my tent, that's my daughter!" We're to believe without even seeing a scene of her convincing him that he magically changed his mind? So fucking dumb. Like Georgy said many pages ago, all they have is shock value, and they're abusing it. Which is odd, because if they hadn't done this scene, this episode actually would have been quite good all the way through - on par with the rest of good GoT.

It was a bit obvious a dragon was going to show up at that point, but it was still pretty badass.

not to mention this is the guy that spent a bunch of time and money who scoured the world to find healers to save her from greyscale, who had that huge speech that you mentioned about being his daughter and how everyone who said they should have let her die could go to hell yet just a couple of episodes later just decides yeah lets take my daughter and tie her to a stake and burn her alive!

Edited by bran

In terms of all the "tender" moments this season leading up to the decision - I think that was kind of the point. We thought and hoped Stannis would do the "right" thing - but that's not who he is.

He made the ultimate sacrifice in the pursuit of what he felt was his duty/destiny. What choice did he have? What fate was left for his men out there? They were already fucked, Ramsay destroyed whatever hopes they had left.

I'm not saying I liked it, or that I particularly like Stannis after the choice he made - but he felt he was left with no other option and that he had a path to follow. Doesn't mean he had to like making that choice - it's not such an incomprehensible about-face in my view. As a non-reader, I kind of thought it was inevitable that he'd eventually be pushed to do it.

• Like 2