Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

The books! But the books! Everything is ruined!

Omg shut up

You don't understand because in the books!!!1 The books are so much better!! novembersnow.gif

Well, they managed to keep more or less everyone on board for the first 4 seasons. It would be nice if they had managed to continue...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those tents just spontaneously lit on fire. Plus the shot of Dany getting on Drogon looked cheesy as fuck.

Yall nitpicking now. :lol:

Can't help it, but i'm glad I haven't read the books yet.

Okay, I guess CGI can't be perfect on an $8 million budget.

As for the burning of tents, I know you have to suspend disbelief but that was stretching it a bit too thin.

Sorry man but that stuff is nitpicking to me. Haven't seen any problems on my end at least. I know you're probably more critical, being a book reader and all. But I guess that's what it really comes down to.

This has nothing to do with the book, though this is just poor writing. Just like having Yara sail all the way the fuck around Westeros to rescue Theon only to go "Attack dogs? Fuck this shit, Theon is screwed!" and that is the last we ever see her. It makes no sense. You can't just expect people to see tents randomly start fire and go "Oh they got passed the guards somehow" and "they know the land better." That is lazy and on top of that, not only we have been getting rape as a plot device but also pedophilia too. I let the whole Joffery killing hookers thing go, but this is getting stupid.

Ben and Dave seem to resort to abusing women to make their bad guys look really bad. It is just old cliche. They even pulled the gay card with Joffery when he told Margery he considered making homosexuality illegal in Westeros.

• Like 1

Those tents just spontaneously lit on fire. Plus the shot of Dany getting on Drogon looked cheesy as fuck.

As for the burning of tents, I know you have to suspend disbelief but that was stretching it a bit too thin.

Sorry man but that stuff is nitpicking to me. Haven't seen any problems on my end at least. I know you're probably more critical, being a book reader and all. But I guess that's what it really comes down to.

This has nothing to do with the book, though this is just poor writing. Just like having Yara sail all the way the fuck around Westeros to rescue Theon only to go "Attack dogs? Fuck this shit, Theon is screwed!" and that is the last we ever see her. It makes no sense. You can't just expect people to see tents randomly start fire and go "Oh they got passed the guards somehow" and "they know the land better." That is lazy and on top of that, not only we have been getting rape as a plot device but also pedophilia too. I let the whole Joffery killing hookers thing go, but this is getting stupid.

Ben and Dave seem to resort to abusing women to make their bad guys look really bad. It is just old cliche. They even pulled the gay card with Joffery when he told Margery he considered making homosexuality illegal in Westeros.

lets not even get into the dorne stuff, seriously was their any fucking point to dorne? outside of giving jaime something to do?

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

lets not even get into the dorne stuff, seriously was their any fucking point to dorne? outside of giving jaime something to do?

Hasn't it been speculated that Dorne will play a bigger role going forward, both in the show and in the books? That Doran Martell is playing a long game against the Lannisters? If that's so, then one might surmise that the Dorne storyline is meant to serve as a setup in later seasons.

One of the issues with this show for many people seems to be that they're ready to judge before story arcs seem to find their own resolve. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and base one's judgement at the very end of the season. If nothing more becomes of Dorne then yeah, it's justifiable to criticize the time spent there in season five. Same with what's happening in Winterfell. We don't yet know of the ramifications of why the show's show-runners decided to put Sansa there and receive the full brunt of Ramsay's brutality. But aren't criticisms of these narratives a little half baked considering the show has more to give? I just find it confusing that many argue that certain scenes are unnecessary considering the story hasn't run its course. Let's let the show unfold as Weiss and Benioff have planned (since they're likely the only two people on the planet who knows what GRRM has planned for the books and relevant characters) and then we can all come back and decide what worked and what didn't.

the thing is though unless they are going to smash more content from AFFC and ADWD into the final 2 seasons for the final 2 books it doesnt leave a whole lot of time to introduce this stuff, especially with the dorne storyline. the two central characters that are essential to doran martells plan have never been mentioned or introduced.

Edited by bran

There is the possibility that Weiss and Benioff are going about it another way; that other characters, such as Ellaria, might play a role in whatever Doran has planed. Sort of like what they did with Jeyne Poole and Sansa.

Then again, you might be right, and that storyline gets dropped altogether, at which point criticisms of the Dorne storyline would be justified.

Ok, fair enough, you think it's bad writing. I still think you are constantly comparing the show to the books that you have already read and are expecting more, which is fair because you've had expectations leading up until now. I haven't heard any complaints whatsoever from the non book-readers at this point, in fact, everyone I know loves the show still and hasn't been critical about anything. But I can understand your POV on the show, though. As far as the CGI goes, I didn't think it was bad at all, TO ME at least. I have been pleased with it. And a 6 million dollar budget per episode isn't that gigantic considering that this show is ranked #1 on television right now and the amounts of CGI being put into effect this season. There have been far worse budgets that have led to shows demise. Take a look at Rome. That show had a 9 million dollar budget per episode. With the grounds that GoT is covering per episode, I think 6 million is fair.

The show may be steering away from the books a little, but it's nothing I haven't noticed or compared because I have nothing to compare it to. Let's just see what happens with the finale.

• Like 1

I don't think the books are that well written but at least they are well thought out. I would be fine with them speeding things up if they actually took the time to think "How are we going to make sense of this?" I mean Theon disappears for awhile after the Ironborn surrender Winterfell, in the show they show you what happens to Theon almost right after he is captured. I thought that was cool, keeps Theon in the show. But some of the other shit was stupid.

They even pulled the gay card with Joffery when he told Margery he considered making homosexuality illegal in Westeros.

Well at least they were true to TV's worst stereotypes when they re-wrote Loras as that "pussy gay guy" to tick boxes for the demographic.

In fairness though, I think TV Joffery was one of the more faithful to the book characters.

Giving Bronn something to do. Duh!

• Like 1

What's the point of Dorne? Some nice pair of tits. Plus Alexander Siddig stealing the show as Doran Martell.

Loras was a bad ass in the books. In the show he looks like he can't even pick up a sword. He's too scrawny. If you have been training with a sword and a lance since you are a young boy you are going to jacked. Especially if you wear armor all the time.

I don't think the books are that well written but at least they are well thought out. I would be fine with them speeding things up if they actually took the time to think "How are we going to make sense of this?" I mean Theon disappears for awhile after the Ironborn surrender Winterfell, in the show they show you what happens to Theon almost right after he is captured. I thought that was cool, keeps Theon in the show. But some of the other shit was stupid.

i thought the keeping theon in the show and showing the torture he went through was a really good addition and something we never got to see in the books, but yeah a lot of the other stuff is just stupid, and once again like martin said changing and cutting certain things were going to lead to problems down the road for the show. loras is one of the worst things they have done IMO.

That's what happens when you decide to cut characters ^^. With none of his brothers (who George mentioned will play roles in the last two books) included, they ended up having to re-write Loras to take on those roles too. George said that Mace btw in the show was combined with Harys Swyft. He also went out of his way to mention that Mace is smarter than he seems (in the books).

Elio and Linda the not very popular face of the "extreme book purists" said that they were told D & D never expected the show to get past the Red Wedding and that's why they ended up retconing certain things (like the King's Guard who got sent to Dorne in season 2, the other Martells and I think some other things that got referenced) after they realized the show had life after that.

Who wants spoilers?

It'll be interesting if Benjen Stark does show up. There's been some spoilers and other nonsense over the past few days along with a scene by scene description that doesn't sound too exciting. If Benjen shows up, it's fake.

Can't think of any other reason for Benjen to be referenced in a "previously on".

That's what happens when you decide to cut characters ^^. With none of his brothers (who George mentioned will play roles in the last two books) included, they ended up having to re-write Loras to take on those roles too. George said that Mace btw in the show was combined with Harys Swyft. He also went out of his way to mention that Mace is smarter than he seems (in the books).

Elio and Linda the not very popular face of the "extreme book purists" said that they were told D & D never expected the show to get past the Red Wedding and that's why they ended up retconing certain things (like the King's Guard who got sent to Dorne in season 2, the other Martells and I think some other things that got referenced) after they realized the show had life after that.

Who wants spoilers?

It'll be interesting if Benjen Stark does show up. There's been some spoilers and other nonsense over the past few days along with a scene by scene description that doesn't sound too exciting. If Benjen shows up, it's fake.

Can't think of any other reason for Benjen to be referenced in a "previously on".

jeyne poole was even in an episode or 2 in season 1 plus theon's uncles were mentioned in season 1 as well.

I haven't read any of the spoilers in this thread, but I may have accidentally read something elsewhere on the internet:

I never really got on the "hate Olly" bandwagon, but if he kills Jon that will immediately put him at my #1 most hated character, possibly including all TV shows I've seen.

I haven't read any of the spoilers in this thread, but I may have accidentally read something elsewhere on the internet:

I never really got on the "hate Olly" bandwagon, but if he kills Jon that will immediately put him at my #1 most hated character, possibly including all TV shows I've seen.

That's just what people assume will happen. Just remember though

he was the creation of an intern.

That's just what people assume will happen. Just remember though

he was the creation of an intern.

Is that serious? Jesus H Christ.