Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

Don't know what happens in episode 10, but the Jon Snow scene from the books that we're expecting is going to happen in episode 9. They filmed the scenes here in Northern Ireland and I heard from other people that got extras roles on the set within the past few weeks that they were told it would be in episode 9.

So episode 10 of next season is going to be really interesting, that'll be an episode past the point where we are in the books.

Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7QE9GNsl2E she's rumoured to take up the fake Arya storyline according to the internet.

Edited by AtariLegend

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bit better quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMKhdDlKHNE

- Jaime in the Sept.
- Cersei in a palanquin, looking at Jaime.
- Boats rowing to a village in the North. Looks like Hardhome, possibly.
- Bronn drawing a sword.
- BRAZEN BEASTS!
- Little Finger schooling Sansa.
- A Lady who knows how to use a whip! Sandsnakes!
- A shot of Sunspear?
- Wildlings heading into the water.
- A woman cutting her thumb.
- Tommen and Margaery. Standing in the Great Sept of Baelor. With a Septon behind them…
- Wildlings marching.
- Varys and Tyrion together. Varys giving advice.
- Jon Snow.
- Sansa taking a bath?
- Wildlings at a closed fort gate.
- Dany “I’m not going to stop the wheel, I’m going to break the wheel”.
- Ser Jorah fighting
- Cersei looking at what appears to be a Snake in the Box?
- Cersei “That little monster is out there, somewhere drawing breath”.
- Melisandre and fire, lots of fire.
- Bearded Tyrion!
- Jon Snow rallying the troops “With me!”.
- Jaime is Dorne and a beautiful woman turning.
- Lady Olenna! “They’ll never even find what’s left of you”.
- Another shot of a Brazen Beast.
- Bronn and Jaime fighting a mounted Dornishman.
- Arya in front of the House of Black and White!
- Arya picking up Needle (High Sparrow (Septon) say "And this is what remains").
- A mounted group of House Aryn men.
- Varys: “The Seven Kingdoms needs a ruler loved by millions with a powerful army and the right family name”.
- Tyrion: “Good luck finding him”.
- Varys: “Who said anything about him”.
- Dany looking at a big dragon breathing fire!
- People in boats being dragged down by arms from the water.
- Missandei kissing Grey Worm!
- Gladiator fight in Daznak’s Pit with Dany in her white dress, in the background.
- Melisandre disrobing.
- Unsullied with Dany, Daario and Barristan in tow.
- Another shot of Dorne.
- A Wildling with a big axe.
- More Brazen Beasts!
- Chaos in Daznak’s Pit with Dany and her entourage being protected by the Unsullied.
- The fall of the Harpy!

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/01/30/watch-game-thrones-season-5-trailer/

If it's supposed to be 1500 pages long. People holding out for it to be released within 4 years of Dance were crazy.

Hopefully he gave them the finished sections and the resolutions to certain events that will probably end a little bit different on this show next season.

FYI there was a leaked script last year for the first episode that seems to be virtually confirmed via trailer.

It looks like the budget has gone up again, which is really good considering where the story is obviously going :P.

i dont think the finished book will be 1500 pages will it? i mean the lord of the rings collector edition has all the lord of the rings volumes plus extra stuff and it ran only 1200 pages. the stormlight archive: words of radiance was the thickest fantasy book i ever read and it was only 1100 pages. i mean if it is 1500 pages i would do backflips dont get me wrong but i was thinking around 1100 or so(give or take). the thing that worries me is when his editor said she only had 180 pages of the book and that was in 2014 at sometime IIRC.

i dont think the finished book will be 1500 pages will it? i mean the lord of the rings collector edition has all the lord of the rings volumes plus extra stuff and it ran only 1200 pages. the stormlight archive: words of radiance was the thickest fantasy book i ever read and it was only 1100 pages. i mean if it is 1500 pages i would do backflips dont get me wrong but i was thinking around 1100 or so(give or take). the thing that worries me is when his editor said she only had 180 pages of the book and that was in 2014 at sometime IIRC.

I thought we read throughout the years that he supposedly kept 100-200 pages from the end of Dance (AKA certain battle scenes) and he was contractually obliged to submit 160 odd pages a year. I'm getting the exact numbers on that wrong, but that's roughly ish what's been stated.

This interview is from 2012:

How many pages have you already written of The Winds of Winter?

I’ve already written 400 pages of my sixth book. However, of these 400 pages, only 200 are really finished because I still have to revise the other 200 pages, which are in a rough version and I still have to work on them a lot. But you have to keep in mind that the last book, Dance with Dragons, was 1.500 pages long and this one will be more or less the same extension, so I have a lot of work. I hope after this tour I can go back home in order to write as a possessed man. But the sixth volume won’t be released in 2012 or in 2013. I really look forward to publishing it in 2014, but I am really bad for predictions, you may know it. And then, there is another fact: when I finish this saga I will be judged for the quality of the books, not for the speed of my writing.

http://www.adriasnews.com/2012/10/george-r-r-martin-interview.html?spref=tw

I don't think even 180 pages makes much sense even in 2014. There was plenty of chapters on-line and read at conventions throughout the last few years that suggest he probably had more than 180 even then.

He also supposedly said 15 years ago that Danny was supposed to reach Westros by the end of A Dance of Dragons before it became 7 books and Winds would be the last book. So there is obviously lots of work to do.

Edited by AtariLegend

I thought we read throughout the years that he supposedly kept 100-200 pages from the end of Dance (AKA certain battle scenes) and he was contractually obliged to submit 160 odd pages a year. I'm getting the exact numbers on that wrong, but that's roughly ish what's been stated.

This interview is from 2012:

How many pages have you already written of The Winds of Winter?

I’ve already written 400 pages of my sixth book. However, of these 400 pages, only 200 are really finished because I still have to revise the other 200 pages, which are in a rough version and I still have to work on them a lot. But you have to keep in mind that the last book, Dance with Dragons, was 1.500 pages long and this one will be more or less the same extension, so I have a lot of work. I hope after this tour I can go back home in order to write as a possessed man. But the sixth volume won’t be released in 2012 or in 2013. I really look forward to publishing it in 2014, but I am really bad for predictions, you may know it. And then, there is another fact: when I finish this saga I will be judged for the quality of the books, not for the speed of my writing.

http://www.adriasnews.com/2012/10/george-r-r-martin-interview.html?spref=tw

I don't think even 180 pages makes much sense even in 2014. There was plenty of chapters on-line and read at conventions throughout the last few years that suggest he probably had more than 180 even then.

He also supposedly said 15 years ago that Danny was supposed to reach Westros by the end of A Dance of Dragons before it became 7 books and Winds would be the last book. So there is obviously lots of work to do.

i thought the 1500 page remark was talking about manuscript pages? regardless the book is going to be massive and even then i think he will need 2 more books after winds to finish the story. the sample chapters have led to some more buildup to the big events that are about to occur and martin said in an interview there will be even more buildup. i just think he kind of backed himself in the corner with these books in terms of all the loose ends he has floating around with a bunch of storylines, plus from casting news it seems

the jon con and aegon storyline has been pretty much axed it seems
so who knows how he is going to fit everything or he could just massacre everyone in westros :lol:
  • Like 1

the jon con and aegon storyline has been pretty much axed it seems
They could still have a moment in the final episode where Kevan gets told the Stormlands are under attack and have that be the first mention of Aegon instead when Vary's shows up to kill him. Kevan is supposed to still be in the show next season going by the leaked script from last year which had the Tyrion/Varys scene in it.

There's no mention at all of any of the other characters cut from the show, but it doesn't really make sense for Vary's to be truly loyal to Danny even in the HBO version.

Edited by AtariLegend

I thought it was pretty much confirmed Aegon has been dropped
i thought so as well but atari could be right where aegon is mentioned sometime in the show without actually showing him, although it would be weird for a season with really no big battles to skip a chance at showing some kind of battle. the trailer does imply varys aligning with dany but then again it might be just fucking with book readers but im guessing its legit and will be a varys/dany alliance and the aegon stuff cut entirely. im still kind of wondering about the tyrell situation martin did say it was important for the story for loras brothers to be in it, wonder what will happen with that

although it would be weird for a season with really no big battles to skip a chance at showing some kind of battle.
I know from people who got extra roles that they filmed Wights attacking Wildlings which I assume was Hardhome around the same time they done the Jon Snow stabbing moment. Possibly related to the clip in the trailer? Not sure. They were told it'd be in Episode 9.

Someone said they were filming in Banbridge? (might have got the location mixed up) for a month which is normally for battle scenes.

Edited by AtariLegend

The Mountain from Game Of Thrones broke a thousand-year-old strength record

Actor, weightlifter, and king of the stones Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, best known to Western audiences as Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane on HBO’s Game Of Thrones, has shattered yet another record in his terrifying quest to become the Earth’s strongest man. But unlike the rest, this record was 1,000 years old.

While competing at the World’s Strongest Viking competition (Norway’s stop on the qualifying tour to compete for the title of World’s Strongest Man), Björnsson broke through a record once described in ancient Icelandic sagas. According to Strongman Champion League promoter Ilkka Kinnunen, the feat, in which a participant must walk while carrying a massive, 1,250 pound log on their back, was once attempted by the legendary Icelander Ormur Stórólfsson, to middling-positive results. Stórólfsson did manage to carry the log for three steps, but then, according to Kinnunen, “His back broke under the enormous pressure, and he was never the same after that.”One can imagine.

At this year’s competition, though, Björnsson, undeterred by little things like a shattered spine, carried the log for five steps, easily breaking the millennium-old record. He also seemed to be exactly the same after that, going on to win the entire competition for the second year in a row and bellowing “NOTHING CAN STOP ME! NOTHING CAN BREAK ME!” to an adoring crowd. It all seems to be part of the actor’s ongoing effort to move “crushing a man’s head like an overripe melon” further and further down the list of the most terrifying things Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson has ever done.

Source: http://www.avclub.com/article/mountain-game-thrones-broke-thousand-year-old-stre-214698

Original Game of Thrones pitch letter leaked online

Letter from George RR Martin to his agent reveals earliest plot ideas – which included a love triangle involving Arya Stark, Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister

A leaked 22-year-old letter from Game of Thrones author George RR Martin reveals the author’s earliest plot ideas for his epic series of fantasy novels, which included a disturbing love triangle that failed to make the final cut.
Written to his agent, the late Ralph Vicinanza, the letter is dated October 1993, and in it Martin pitches “the high fantasy novel I promised you”, A Game of Thrones.
Unaware of the major writing task which would lie ahead of him, Martin told Vicinanza: “When completed, this will be the first volume in what I see as an epic trilogy with the overall title, A Song of Ice and Fire.”
The book series now stretches to five increasingly lengthy volumes, with two more yet to come. The letter goes on to sketch out Martin’s plans for how the series would play out. Affixed to the walls of his UK publisher HarperCollins’ new London offices – with a potentially revelatory final paragraph blacked out – it was photographed and leaked online by Waterstones yesterday.
The tweet was later deleted by the bookseller, but HarperCollins confirmed that the letter was authentic on Friday. “We’re enormously proud to have it in our possession,” said the publisher.
The images were captured by the fan site Winter is Coming, which blogged that “it’s super-interesting to see the specific ways that the story-as-plotted changed, and to try to figure out why.”
Martin explains to his agent how “the enmity between the great houses of Lannister and Stark [will play] out in a cycle of plot, counterplot, ambition, murder, and revenge, with the iron throne of the Seven Kingdoms as the ultimate prize”.
Overseas, meanwhile, he writes that a “second and greater threat” is taking shape, “where the Dothraki horselords mass their barbarian hordes for a great invasion of the Seven Kingdoms, led by the fierce and beautiful Daenerys Stormborn”. And in the north, “the greatest danger of all” awaits, “where half-forgotten demons out of legend, the inhuman others, raise cold legions of the undead and the neverborn”.
So far, so similar to how his series is currently playing out, and Martin also names his “five key players” as Tyrion Lannister, Daenerys Targaryen, and three of the children of Winterfell, – Arya, Bran, and the bastard Jon Snow.
But he reveals an unexpected original plan for Arya, who is nine when the series opens. Martin writes: “she realises, with terror, that she has fallen in love with Jon, who is not only her half-brother but a man of the Night’s Watch, sworn to celibacy. Their passion will continue to torment Jon and Arya throughout the trilogy.” The character Tyrion, according to the letter, also falls “helplessly in love with Arya Stark while he’s at it. His passion is, alas, unreciprocated, but no less intense for that, and it will lead to a deadly rivalry between Tyrion and Jon Snow.”
Advertisement
Other plot points have also fallen by the wayside in the two decades since Martin wrote the letter – but at least one of his original assertions is still in force. Infamous today for his willingness to kill off major characters without a backward glance, Martin wrote in 1993: “All three books will feature a complex mosaic of intercutting points of view among various of my large and diverse cast of players. The cast will not always remain the same. Old characters will die, and new ones will be introduced. Some of the fatalities will include sympathetic … characters. I want the reader to feel that no one is ever completely safe, not even the characters who seem to be the heroes. The suspense always ratchets up a notch when you know that any character can die at any time.”
The novelist went on to publish the first novel in the series, A Game of Thrones, in 1996. He followed it with A Clash of Kings in 1998, A Storm of Swords in 2000, A Feast for Crows in 2005 and A Dance with Dragons in 2011. Last week, HarperCollins confirmed that the sixth book in the series, The Winds of Winter, is not in its publishing schedule for 2015.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/06/game-of-thrones-letter-george-rr-martin-love-triangle

Edited by AtariLegend

Perhaps you'd like to quote the spoiler for either the TV show or the books?

All that article is about, is a letter George wrote in 93. That roughly mentions what the books/tv show would be about? The only talking point from the article never made it to either version.

Spoiler warning! Tyrion isn't in love with Arya and the end game of the books which aren't even in the article obviously changed alot.

-edit-

Found the letters posted which actually do contain spoilers!

http://watchersonthewall.com/george-r-r-martins-original-plan-game-thrones/

Edited by AtariLegend