Bucharest 2010 - the best vocals from Axl since the '90s?

He had some excellent shows in 2006 (Download, Rock Am Ring), and some where the Mickey comes through a lot (Rock in Rio - Lisboa). 2010 was more consistent vocally (though more awkward with the dance moves/arm gestures :P ).

That Bucharest show is amazing, thanks for the link and thanks to the user who posted the YouTube playlist. What amazing vocals. Only quibble is I'm not a fan of Better in 2010.

I'd put in the Top 3 shows from 2010. People say London with Duff is overrated but the YCBM from that show is the best since the '90s. Also, :wub: this Madagascar (esp 2:37 to 3:03):

2nd best YCBM from 2010 is from Paris in my opinion:

I honestly think he sounded slightly better in 2010.

I agree. He was also more consistent. Just go back and listen to a show like KROQ 2006. Very high pitched and at places sounds like 2002.

On the other hand, He sounds amazing when you listen to Rock Am Ring. That Jungle scream, Nightrain and the second half of I.R.S. A lot of power. Better Download 2006 is another good example imo.

But in 2010 he had way more rasp (argh shitty word) and more then enough power, but not quite as much as 2006.

Thanks so much, this is pure gold, Axl vocals in 93 06 and 010 are a place of balance between sounding feminine and the opposite raw raspy angered screeches. To me thats what puts Axl up there with guys like Robert Plant. Plant also had the same issue with zeppelin, when to not sound too much like a woman, but at the same time still use the emotion and image of a very feminine take on rock n roll. Its almost like being Bisexual to become both a man and a woman on stage.

Am I the only one who thinks that 2006 was his prime?

Not to downplay 2010 or anything, I listened to a bootleg of Toronto 2010 and enjoyed it a lot, but I feel like the raw power of '06 eclipses the rasp of '10.

I completely agree.

How, in 1 short year, did Axl's voice and weight just spiral out of control??

What...happened in 2011?!

He wasn't exactly trim in 2010. He kind of looked a mess. It's all about the voice. He'll probably never look all that great again, which sucks, but that's life.

Honestly though, dude is mega rich and seemingly doesn't do much of anything during the off time. If your 1 job is to be active and look good on stage, hire a personal trainer already. I really don't have much sympathy for the man in that regard.

Oh, I agree. He's lazy as fuck. It's inexcusable. And the impact on his performance is greater and greater as time moves on.

Thanks so much, this is pure gold, Axl vocals in 93 06 and 010 are a place of balance between sounding feminine and the opposite raw raspy angered screeches. To me thats what puts Axl up there with guys like Robert Plant. Plant also had the same issue with zeppelin, when to not sound too much like a woman, but at the same time still use the emotion and image of a very feminine take on rock n roll. Its almost like being Bisexual to become both a man and a woman on stage.

what

No argument on the consistency at all. I think when he was bringing it in 2006 though, he killed it more than he had since the 90's. He also had the moves and a better guitarist and drummer working for him too.

Fair enough. Visually, 2006 Axl was cooler, though I do like the jackets like that silver one in 2010, in a horrifically-ugly-on-anyone-else-but-Axl-can-pull-them-off way.

Why the hell is there not a boot of this otherwordly Out Ta Get Me from 3:23 in this video????!!!!:

No argument on the consistency at all. I think when he was bringing it in 2006 though, he killed it more than he had since the 90's. He also had the moves and a better guitarist and drummer working for him too.

Fair enough. Visually, 2006 Axl was cooler, though I do like the jackets like that silver one in 2010, in a horrifically-ugly-on-anyone-else-but-Axl-can-pull-them-off way.

Why the hell is there not a boot of this otherwordly Out Ta Get Me from 3:23 in this video????!!!!:

That's insane.

• Like 1

That's insane.

THAT is why Axl Rose is the greatest frontman of all time. There is no single other singer who gets that into their performance, into their art.

I think that may be the greatest recorded moment of Axl from any era. The We Will Rock You performance from the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert is up there too (along with his PC and Bohemian Rhapsody from that concert).

That's also why it saddens me when people claim '11-'13 Axl is the best ever. It devalues the beauty and pure passion that Axl has displayed in moments such as in that clip, or in the Bucharest performance of IRS. I still believe that Axl holds his art in great esteem, which is why he doesn't want to just "dump" the Chinese Leftovers, or record and release any old music, but I feel like time and the many personal defeats it has brought along with it have taken its toll on him, at least for the time being. Hearing stuff like his screams on Madagascar live would just make my spirit soar. He talks about beauty and art with a reverence that few other artists display in his interviews:

"The art comes first. It dictates if not the course [then] the destination artistically. For me, once the real accompanying artwork is there with a few videos and some touring, the package was achieved and delivered."

"What I know is it's the record that was able to get through the red tape and get itself out there while helping friends, loved ones and myself along the way. The whole ballad or rocker thing has never been something I've ever cared too much about. There's some meaner sections ahead but a particular focus once there were a few of the newer guys together was to bring a bit more beauty into our efforts."

That's why I'm so baffled by the whole DJ Ashba thing. His work is just so ugly, from his tacky guitars and clothes to his lame ballads. At worst his work is ugly, at best it achieves mediocrity. I'm not saying Slash and Finck and Bucket haven't had their moments of mediocrity (Slash and Bucket in particular I often wish would refine their solo work to get more moments of beauty like Anastasia and Soothsayer), but their greatest moments (SCOM, November Rain, TIL and TWAT solos) truly are things of beauty. It's telling that their greatest moments were with Axl, but they are undeniable talents in their solo efforts as well.

That Out Ta Get Me... you just know Axl is feeling every fucking word of the song with every fiber of his being. This was before Chinese was released. He had something to prove so this song was something he could really relate to and was 100% into it. Magic.

It's weird how the other Out Ta Get Me's from 2006 on YouTube are nowhere near as good.

The TIL from this Bucharest show... beautiful. I really wish we got to hear Robin play that solo live. At least with Slash we got to hear him play all his solos live, but to never hear Finck on TIL or Bucket on TWAT... what a damn shame.

• Like 1

It's weird how the other Out Ta Get Me's from 2006 on YouTube are nowhere near as good.

The TIL from this Bucharest show... beautiful. I really wish we got to hear Robin play that solo live. At least with Slash we got to hear him play all his solos live, but to never hear Finck on TIL or Bucket on TWAT... what a damn shame.

Hey... you never know. Maybe we will get to hear Robin play the This I Love solo live. He had no problem getting on stage and playing Better and seemed to really enjoy it. I don't think it's impossible. Bucket playing There Was A Time live though....yeah. Not gonna happen.

Edited by Rovim

Hey... you never know. Maybe we will get to hear Robin play the This I Love solo live. He had no problem getting on stage and playing Better and seems to really enjoy it. I don't think it's impossible. Bucket playing There Was A Time live though....yeah. Not gonna happen.

I wonder if it was Robin's choice to play Better in 2012? DJ really seems to value TIL as his "moment to shine"/show off. I guess having Robin play Better makes more sense if it's just gonna be one song because for most of TIL he'd just be standing around.

Hey... you never know. Maybe we will get to hear Robin play the This I Love solo live. He had no problem getting on stage and playing Better and seems to really enjoy it. I don't think it's impossible. Bucket playing There Was A Time live though....yeah. Not gonna happen.

I wonder if it was Robin's choice to play Better in 2012? DJ really seems to value TIL as his "moment to shine"/show off. I guess having Robin play Better makes more sense if it's just gonna be one song because for most of TIL he'd just be standing around.

Plus Better is Robin's song. He wrote it, so it makes more sense for him to play it. This I Love is an Axl song. Pretty cool that it was Robin who got Axl to release This I Love as Axl had no intentions to include it on the album.

Plus Better is Robin's song. He wrote it, so it makes more sense for him to play it. This I Love is an Axl song. Pretty cool that it was Robin who got Axl to release This I Love as Axl had no intentions to include it on the album.

The fact that Bucket and Tobias aren't anywhere on TIL makes me think that it was mostly recorded around 2006, though Beltrami was done with his parts for the album by the end of 2002 (unless Beltrami was brought back later?). Or maybe Bucket did feature on it and Axl removed his guitar parts as it took away from the orchestral arrangements? Bumble says he plays rhythm on it but I can never hear any rhythm guitar on the song, where does it come in?

Edited by Amir

The fact that Bucket and Tobias aren't anywhere on TIL makes me think that it was mostly recorded around 2006, though Beltrami was done with his parts for the album by the end of 2002 (unless Beltrami was brought back later?). Or maybe Bucket did feature on it and Axl removed his guitar parts as it took away from the orchestral arrangements? Bumble says he plays rhythm on it but I can never hear any rhythm guitar on the song, where does it come in?

I think it's the power chords in the chorus, but I'm not sure. Starts at the 2:09 mark.

I think it's the power chords in the chorus, but I'm not sure. Starts at the 2:09 mark.

I always thought those chords at 2:09 were just Robin playing before his solo, but listening again I can hear them come in again around 2:58 and they sound the same, so I guess you could right in that it's Bumble.

That's insane.

THAT is why Axl Rose is the greatest frontman of all time. There is no single other singer who gets that into their performance, into their art.

I think that may be the greatest recorded moment of Axl from any era. The We Will Rock You performance from the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert is up there too (along with his PC and Bohemian Rhapsody from that concert).

That's also why it saddens me when people claim '11-'13 Axl is the best ever. It devalues the beauty and pure passion that Axl has displayed in moments such as in that clip, or in the Bucharest performance of IRS. I still believe that Axl holds his art in great esteem, which is why he doesn't want to just "dump" the Chinese Leftovers, or record and release any old music, but I feel like time and the many personal defeats it has brought along with it have taken its toll on him, at least for the time being. Hearing stuff like his screams on Madagascar live would just make my spirit soar. He talks about beauty and art with a reverence that few other artists display in his interviews:

"The art comes first. It dictates if not the course [then] the destination artistically. For me, once the real accompanying artwork is there with a few videos and some touring, the package was achieved and delivered."

"What I know is it's the record that was able to get through the red tape and get itself out there while helping friends, loved ones and myself along the way. The whole ballad or rocker thing has never been something I've ever cared too much about. There's some meaner sections ahead but a particular focus once there were a few of the newer guys together was to bring a bit more beauty into our efforts."

That's why I'm so baffled by the whole DJ Ashba thing. His work is just so ugly, from his tacky guitars and clothes to his lame ballads. At worst his work is ugly, at best it achieves mediocrity. I'm not saying Slash and Finck and Bucket haven't had their moments of mediocrity (Slash and Bucket in particular I often wish would refine their solo work to get more moments of beauty like Anastasia and Soothsayer), but their greatest moments (SCOM, November Rain, TIL and TWAT solos) truly are things of beauty. It's telling that their greatest moments were with Axl, but they are undeniable talents in their solo efforts as well.

Yep. Can't argue with that, every single word of that makes perfect sense.

Any idea what show that Out Ta Get Me is from? Would "put up" with a bootleg video :P

Any idea what show that Out Ta Get Me is from? Would "put up" with a bootleg video :P

I assume it's one of the European 2006 shows, but it's none of the ones that are up on YouTube :(

Found this short clip from one of the Hammerstein shows which was shot with a potato but still gets across Angry Axl:

• Like 1