The Real McCoy's life issues and style advice thread

Lithium

Premature investment. McCoy hallmark.

I'm not investing anything in to anyone. We've been talking and we seem to have a lot in common. It begins and ends there. It just doesn't seem right to go out with the other girl if there's a chance that I click with the friend of the friend.

My gut is telling me that the right thing to do is cancel the V-Day date.

That girl must like you to let you take her out on valentines on a first date

I get that, but like I said, it honestly almost feels dishonest to the friend of the friend.

I know that she seems really excited for the date next Saturday. She told me earlier that she went shopping for a new outfit today.

Like I said, it honestly wouldn't feel right to go out with someone else. I'm just going by my gut instinct here.

I have to go with my conscience on this one.

I'm not investing anything in to anyone. We've been talking and we seem to have a lot in common. It begins and ends there. It just doesn't seem right to go out with the other girl if there's a chance that I click with the friend of the friend.

But what happens if when you go out with the friend of a friend and find out you don't click? There is nothing wrong with keeping your options open, like I said earlier, it is difficult to gauge how well you get on with someone before a date or two as texting or talking in an environment with other people is different than interacting while it is just the two of you. What can it hurt to go out next Saturday? If afterwards you don't feel it clicking then fine but you're writing it off before it has had a chance.

But what happens if when you go out with the friend of a friend and find out you don't click? There is nothing wrong with keeping your options open, like I said earlier, it is difficult to gauge how well you get on with someone before a date or two as texting or talking in an environment with other people is different than interacting while it is just the two of you. What can it hurt to go out next Saturday? If afterwards you don't feel it clicking then fine but you're writing it off before it has had a chance.

I feel pretty confident that all will go well with the friend of a friend. I'm really looking forward to going out with her.

It's hard to explain, but I just have a feeling that canceling the V-Day date is the right thing to do. I'll sleep on it and see if I change my mind in the morning, but my intuition is telling me that's the move to make.

I get that, but like I said, it honestly almost feels dishonest to the friend of the friend.

Dishonest? To the friend of the friend? What about the poor girl on Valentines Day who you 'wouldn't have bothered with' who MIGHT be getting her hopes up and could be really into you? :huh:

If you're totally into someone and going on a date with them there's nothing dishonest at all, regardless of who else you go out with. Like Totts said, its a date, not a marriage proposal. Potentially leading some other girl on though, when you're really not interested is another thing in my opinion. She might be getting her hopes up. its really not very nice.

Edited by Redhead74

I'm really thinking about canceling the V-Day date. Things are really clicking with the friend of a friend, and it seems dishonest to go out with someone else a day before I go out with her.

For fuck's sake, stop being such an idiot. No one is going to die if you go on both dates. Go on both dates, act like a gentleman, and you pursue the one you like the most after that.

• Like 4

I feel pretty confident that all will go well with the friend of a friend. I'm really looking forward to going out with her.

It's hard to explain, but I just have a feeling that canceling the V-Day date is the right thing to do. I'll sleep on it and see if I change my mind in the morning, but my intuition is telling me that's the move to make.

But what if it doesn't go well?! Not to be a pessimist but surely it is best to keep your options open in case things don't go well? What happens if you dig her but she isn't into you as much? Going on one date on Valentines Day isn't going to be the end of the world, better than you sitting at home pining for the friend of a friend, and you hurting this girl who is looking forward to it.

For once in your life actually listen to the advice you get on here, Lithium summed it up perfectly, go into both dates and enjoy them and then pursue who you like more afterwards.

That girl must like you to let you take her out on valentines on a first date

I know that she seems really excited for the date next Saturday. She told me earlier that she went shopping for a new outfit today.

Like I said, it honestly wouldn't feel right to go out with someone else. I'm just going by my gut instinct here.

I have to go with my conscience on this one.

This thread quickly took a turn for the worse.

McCoy just a quick FYI about women.

We will find ANY excuse to go shopping for a new outfit. It doesn't matter if it's because we're going to a wedding, a first date or the dentist office. That's what we do. We rationalize in our heads that we NEED to buy something new because quite frankly - we love to shop - for any reason we can possibly come up with. I will bet money that VD girl is also buying something new for Friday, she just hasn't told you.

I know there is no point in telling you what to do, because you never listen to anyone's advice, but I'm going to add my 2 cents from a female perspective. I do think breaking the date with VD girl is a mistake. It is now less than a week away. And at this point, you will come off as a complete scumbag for ditching her on Valentine's Day. How would you feel? You were just going for coffee anyway, so why on earth is your conscience struggling over a cup of coffee and not over the fact that you're telling a girl on Valentine's Day to fuck off? It's not right dude. You pursued her and already made the commitment. As a guy who talks about morals and who tries to do the right thing, you're looking like a douche if you think it's okay to blow someone off (for someone else you haven't even gone out with yet!!) It's not cool.

• Like 4

I still think McCoy should cancel with VD girl. He said the day of the date was just coincidental, not planned for VD, so it doesn't sound like the holiday is particularly important to VD girl. And we are only talking coffee here, it's not like she already spent money on concert tickets or movie tickets or some other event that required advance payment.

You're fooling yourself if you think the day has no significance. The initial setting up of the date may not have crossed her mind immediately, but once she realized when it was, I assure you it does mean something. If nothing more than she will not be sitting home alone on Valentine's Day. And as much as people blow it off as a Hallmark holiday and it's only a commercial money maker for florists and Godiva, girls especially are wired, from a very early age, to give it some meaning.

• Like 1

I agree, there are always exceptions! :lol:

But I still feel cancelling the date, especially for the reason he's giving, is scummy. There's no valid basis for it, other than girl #2 is buying a new outfit and he *thinks* he's clicking more with her. How many times has McCoy thought he's clicked with someone, only to be disappointed yet again. I believe he is probably making more of it than what it is, simply because #2 seems a bit more verbal about their date. Fuck yeah she's more excited, she's going to a concert, not Starbucks. I'd be more excited too! Is VD girl supposed to gush about coffee?? For all we know, #2 is just happy to be going to the show, no matter who she's with. Sorry, but he has no perspective when it comes to this whole situation.

• Like 2