Old Jackie Chan rumour

March 12th 1998

New GN'R song out on March 20th ?

Yesterday a friend told me that a new song by GN'R (probably not a cover) will be released on the 20th of March. This previously unreleased song will appear on the soundtrack for the Jackie Chan movie "A Nice Guy". The song was recorded before Slash left the band.

True or false? We'll have the answer soon...

source: "Tver" (a GN'R fan)

http://home5.swipnet.se/~w-52838/March12_98.html

Well, this obviously never happened, but does anyone know more about this? was there any actual plans to do so or just false rumour? Is it related to the Jackie Chan song?

I've never heard of this at all, but I don't think it's about the actual song "Jackie Chan". Unless, 'Jackie Chan' is the song Axl had planned for this, and that's why it's still under that working title.

Verrry interesting. This could definitely be why they refer to Checkmate as "Jackie Chan". Odds are it's that song, whatever the hell it's actually called. Had no idea a version was recorded with Slash, though.

Too bad we'll never know, since Axl has no interest whatsoever in releasing new material.

I've never heard of this at all, but I don't think it's about the actual song "Jackie Chan". Unless, 'Jackie Chan' is the song Axl had planned for this, and that's why it's still under that working title.

Verrry interesting. This could definitely be why they refer to Checkmate as "Jackie Chan". Odds are it's that song, whatever the hell it's actually called. Had no idea a version was recorded with Slash, though.

Too bad we'll never know, since Axl has no interest whatsoever in releasing new material.

I thought Axl said in his chats here Checkmate was a bogus title and the working title was Jackie Chan.

I thought Axl said in his chats here Checkmate was a bogus title and the working title was Jackie Chan.

Yeah, I thought I read somewhere that the "Checkmate" on the leak was because someone accused the guy who uploaded it beforehand of not having the goods, or that he was saying "checkmate" to Axl & co.

• Like 1

March 12th 1998

Yesterday a friend told me that a new song by GN'R (probably not a cover) will be released on the 20th of March. This previously unreleased song will appear on the soundtrack for the Jackie Chan movie "A Nice Guy". The song was recorded before Slash left the band.

Well, this obviously never happened, but does anyone know more about this? was there any actual plans to do so or just false rumour? Is it related to the Jackie Chan song?

Mr. Nice Guy, not 'A Nice Guy'. It was actually directed by Sammo Hung, his first collaboration with Jackie since 1985!! The soundtrack would have been for the New Line American re-release as the Hong Kong version came out, 1997, the American version March 20th 1998 (this was when Jackie was breaking out in America due to the New Line re-edits of his most recent Hong Kong work). Not one of Jackie's better films, Mr Nice Guy, but it is decent. It was filmed in Melbourne (Jackie was using a lot of international locations during this period). Watch out for a cameo of Steph Scully from Neighbours.

• Like 1

March 12th 1998

It was a false rumour at the time

March 12th 1998

Mr. Nice Guy, not 'A Nice Guy'. It was actually directed by Sammo Hung, his first collaboration with Jackie since 1985!! The soundtrack would have been for the New Line American re-release as the Hong Kong version came out, 1997, the American version March 20th 1998 (this was when Jackie was breaking out in America due to the New Line re-edits of his most recent Hong Kong work). Not one of Jackie's better films, Mr Nice Guy, but it is decent. It was filmed in Melbourne (Jackie was using a lot of international locations during this period). Watch out for a cameo of Steph Scully from Neighbours.

Relax. :lol:

• 3 years later...

I note Duff says he "was going to have to fly...."  and they "were going to" start recording.

Sure, the could be nothing but logistics.  But his plans changed.  Could be that sessions were called off too.

Stern had just called out Slash for trying to bullshit and some screen about if GNR were working on an album.  Duff maybe kinda was bullshitting a touch too?

Do we know for sure that they in fact did every get around to recording it?  I think this interview is 96?  Session may have been cancelled due to Slashes final departure?