Original Kiss will not perform at Rock Hall

ShadowOfTheWave

KISS wrote some great tunes. They did hard rock better than GNR ever could imo. But they've just consistently failed so hard since their heyday, and deserve to be inducted into the hall of shame, not the hall of fame.

Or just like, induct a picture of them from the 70s. Even hold it up to the microphone to give the acceptance speech. And then light it on fire and let it get out of control and burn the entire shithole to the ground. It would be the best thing KISS put their name on in a long damn time.

It was just different, I think both bands in the clubs up to the arenas could keep your attention the entire time. When KISS became a band that little kids started liking, the Dynasty tour was kind of a last hurrah to a lot of fans at the time, but those kids were still inspired to be in rock bands.

It really doesn't matter that the boys from Queens and the one from the Bronx don't even show up and don't play - it's the music and the spectacle that inspired a lot of people.

The only nagging issue, once again, is to insult the band and fanbase by exclude members, yet Robert Trujillo and Josh Klinghoffer get to enjoy their awards. I don't get why they don't induct all official band members instead of cherry pick. The committee never gave a straight answer on it, either. It's almost like it's an intentional dig to stir things up.

I've come to the conclusion that all members of a band should be inducted. If they contributed to that band's legacy, then why not?

Plus it wouldn't exclude people, although it would have been insane with GNR and Black Sabbath inductions

Even if there were 80 people in a band, is it really that big of a deal to have them all show up and go home with a trophy? They all have to pay their own way, pay for the hotel, pay to sit at a banquet table for 4 hours, probably have to pay to eat - so I don't know why anyone who was an "official" part of the band should be left out. I think Sly Stone was the only one who didn't pay to sit, they just let him in the building, grab his award, and split. I was thinking that's how Axl was going to wind up doing it.

KISS wrote some great tunes. They did hard rock better than GNR ever could imo. But they've just consistently failed so hard since their heyday, and deserve to be inducted into the hall of shame, not the hall of fame.

Or just like, induct a picture of them from the 70s. Even hold it up to the microphone to give the acceptance speech. And then light it on fire and let it get out of control and burn the entire shithole to the ground. It would be the best thing KISS put their name on in a long damn time.

It was just different, I think both bands in the clubs up to the arenas could keep your attention the entire time. When KISS became a band that little kids started liking, the Dynasty tour was kind of a last hurrah to a lot of fans at the time, but those kids were still inspired to be in rock bands.

It really doesn't matter that the boys from Queens and the one from the Bronx don't even show up and don't play - it's the music and the spectacle that inspired a lot of people.

The only nagging issue, once again, is to insult the band and fanbase by exclude members, yet Robert Trujillo and Josh Klinghoffer get to enjoy their awards. I don't get why they don't induct all official band members instead of cherry pick. The committee never gave a straight answer on it, either. It's almost like it's an intentional dig to stir things up.

I've come to the conclusion that all members of a band should be inducted. If they contributed to that band's legacy, then why not?

Plus it wouldn't exclude people, although it would have been insane with GNR and Black Sabbath inductions

Usually it's only the lineup that made a mark in the industry. The people that come after that, only piggyback off the success of that lineup. They have no business in the Hall of Fame under the criteria the band is being inducted for.

As long as they were on the recordings within the 25 years of eligibility. This is where people got bothered about Trujillo, because he didn't play on the St Anger album and Death Magnetic came out the year they were inducted. It's nothing against him, he was talked into it by Lars and James.

He was inducted because Hetfield/Ulrich kicked off. Initially, Rob was not going to be, but, Metallica threatened to withdraw from the event unless Rob be inducted.

So why wouldn't Gene and Paul do the same thing?

Paul posted a long article regarding many things about the HOF. He did inquire about inducting every member of KISS, was shot down, then said no to performing. He is going only for the KISS fans sake, at least that's what he says. I'm sure people will now post how much KISS are whores...

KI$$ right?

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/kiss-slam-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/

Edited by Sixes
  • Like 1

I agree with Paul's interview. It is totally inconsistant, the selection. With Kiss they have just selected the 'original 4', yet, with GN'R they included Matt and Dizzy. Why? Why be a purist for Kiss yet be more inclusive for GN'R? Also, you could actually argue that Gilby should have been inducted considering Dizzy was inducted.

I agree with Paul's interview. It is totally inconsistant, the selection. With Kiss they have just selected the 'original 4', yet, with GN'R they included Matt and Dizzy. Why? Why be a purist for Kiss yet be more inclusive for GN'R? Also, you could actually argue that Gilby should have been inducted considering Dizzy was inducted.

I suppose because the original 4 played on all of Kiss's classic albums. Matt & Dizzy played on the Illusions, a huge part of GNR'S legacy.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

I suppose because the original 4 played on all of Kiss's classic albums. Matt & Dizzy played on the Illusions, a huge part of GNR'S legacy.

But you could argue that some of Kiss's post-original line-up albums warrant 'classic' status. In South America, Creatures was bigger than any of the 1973-77albums. Creatures of the Night is still considered to be one of Kiss's best records by fans. In Europe, the Kulick glam era was much bigger than the 1973-77 era. Revenge is also a fan favourite. Also, you are assuming that Illusion deserves 'classic' status.

But you could argue that some of Kiss's post-original line-up albums warrant 'classic' status. In South America, Creatures was bigger than any of the 1973-77albums. Creatures of the Night is still considered to be one of Kiss's best records by fans. In Europe, the Kulick glam era was much bigger than the 1973-77 era. Revenge is also a fan favourite. Also, you are assuming that Illusion deserves 'classic' status.

No, I am assuming no such a thing, I said it was a huge part of the band's legacy.

South America is a very strange place, and I don't think the Hall cares about fan favorites, or fans at all. And the Kulick era may have had more commercial success in Europe at the time, but is it still more popular there today? Because I think it's clear which era of Kiss has become iconic, and the Hall of Fame is about legacy.

It is inconsistant...

Post-original Kiss release eight - I repeat eight - studio albums of original material, 1981-1992. Some of these albums did well commercially in territories other than North America; one or two of them (Creatures and Revenge) are considered 'fan favourites', yet, Carr, Vincent, St. John, Kulick and Singer are not inducted.

Post-Appetite GN'R released two studio albums of original material and a covers album. Use Your Illusion was, granted, commercially very successful yet it is not considered 'classic' in the same way that Appetite is (Illusion rarely makes top 100 album lists). Despite this, Matt and Dizzy are inducted!

Dizzy's sole contribution to Illusion was to supply honky tonk piano to a few numbers. People like Vinnie Vincent and Kulick actually made songwriting contributions to their respective albums.

Edited by DieselDaisy

He was inducted because Hetfield/Ulrich kicked off. Initially, Rob was not going to be, but, Metallica threatened to withdraw from the event unless Rob be inducted.

So why wouldn't Gene and Paul do the same thing?

Paul posted a long article regarding many things about the HOF. He did inquire about inducting every member of KISS, was shot down, then said no to performing. He is going only for the KISS fans sake, at least that's what he says. I'm sure people will now post how much KISS are whores...

KI$$ right?

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/kiss-slam-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/

I'm happy for the bands inducted, that's about it. I'm sure Paul is going to make sure all past official members of KISS are mentioned. I just wonder why Metallica got their way and KISS didn't.

I just wonder why Metallica got their way and KISS didn't.

Me too - especially considering Carr drummed on seven Kiss albums and Rob played on, zero Metallica albums, at the time.

Because Kiss lineups are more distinct than GNR lineups. Matt was just a single replacement and Dizzy was a late addition who didn't replace anybody. There's hardly any "conflict" there like there is with dueling Kiss lineups.

Conflict? Adler, following his dismisal, sued GN'R in a highly publicised lawsuit!

I just wonder why Metallica got their way and KISS didn't.

Me too - especially considering Carr drummed on seven Kiss albums and Rob played on, zero Metallica albums, at the time.

Because Kiss lineups are more distinct than GNR lineups. Matt was just a single replacement and Dizzy was a late addition who didn't replace anybody. There's hardly any "conflict" there like there is with dueling Kiss lineups.

Conflict? Adler, following his dismisal, sued GN'R in a highly publicised lawsuit!

Drummers have to write songs or they'll get shut out and not be considered a "musician" and considered expendable.

It's a good thing Peter was a songwriter coming into KISS.

the hall is a joke. they have no rules they pull stuff out of their ass whenever they feel like it and fuck over others for no reason whatsoever. how ronnie james dio is kept out of sabbath's induction despite being part of some legacy defining albums, yet trujilo gets in with metallica while playing on 1 album. i hope more and more bands say fuck you to the hall and refuse to show up or at least bash the fucking place in public like paul is doing here.

• Like 1

the hall is a joke. they have no rules they pull stuff out of their ass whenever they feel like it and fuck over others for no reason whatsoever. how ronnie james dio is kept out of sabbath's induction despite being part of some legacy defining albums, yet trujilo gets in with metallica while playing on 1 album. i hope more and more bands say fuck you to the hall and refuse to show up or at least bash the fucking place in public like paul is doing here.

I completely agree. The Pistols called the Hall a 'piss stain' if I recall, and they were completely right.

• Like 2

Yeah, but what I meant was that the Adler lineup and the Sorum lineup aren't as contrasted among fans as the Kiss lineups. Most fans see GNR as "original GNR (86-93)" and "nuGNR (01-present)". There's hardly any conflict between Sorum fans and Adler fans.

• Like 1

I completely agree. The Pistols called the Hall a 'piss stain' if I recall, and they were completely right.

It is a joke, and you are right but in your argument you are giving the hall credit. By arguing against them, you are still talking them up, whereas if you just ignored them that would be a bigger statement. Not just to you but to everyone.

Also the answer to the Metallica/Kiss thing is simple. Metallica is heavy metal and they represent a change in music that GNR has to acknowledge. Kind of like Nirvana. Rolling Stone/Hall Of Fame WANTED Metallica because they are a hard rock/heavy metal band that had incredible mainstream success and sustained it. That looks good for the Rock Hall Of Fame because it shows not all the bands they induct are dinosaurs. On the contrary, Rolling Stone/Hall Of Fame DID NOT WANT Kiss and subsequently were ignored for years. They are going in because at this point its ridiculous that they aren't and the fans are really calling for it. Its now a glaring omission, so the Hall is doing it to just get past it. Which is why they are doing just the original 4, refusing/not caring about the demands of Gene and Paul like they did with James and Lars, and trying to reap as much publicity as they can that they know will come with a Kiss reunion.

Its got nothing to do with anything else. The Hall didn't all of a sudden start caring about Kiss, but the Hall always cared about Metallica and were just waiting for them to get in and jumped on them first ballot.

Ace certainly looks rough these days but I'm glad he's staying healthy and happy.

All of this doesn't at all surprise me. I figured that a reunion performance was out of the question, especially since Paul and Gene have really been pushing the current line-up more the last few years with two new albums and constant touring. I support the current KISS line-up but I'm glad that they've opted not to perform. Paul had a good article that made lots of sense. It would have been as silly as the Rock Honors in 2007 when the current line-up played, meanwhile Ace was there and demoted to a supergroup doing God Of Thunder. Having no formation of the band play kind of sucks, but it's the best way around the clusterfuck.

I'd say they should have inducted every member of KISS. Even Tommy Thayer. The guy has been on the latest two albums and has songwriting credits dating back to the eighties.