April 23rd, 2014 - Golden Gods - Los Angeles, CA - Axl receives "Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award"

Tommy is a legend of GNR and just because he's been in the band for 20 years and hasn't managed to convince Axl to release more music doesn't mean he's a powerless ex-punk rocker that covers GNR songs for money. Wait, that's exactly what it means.

Edited by ProstituteComa

:lol:

TOMMY IS GNR!!!

It'd be great if you could start making productive posts in D&N again.

But to answer your surprise, yes, Tommy has been part of GNR for well over a decade. He has considerably more influence over Axl than any body else in the band. Using that fact, it's highly unlikely that they would debut a new song in his absence. What exactly is laughable about that observation?

It would be great if you could stop being such a sycophant.

Not my problem you don't know what synonymous means.

An autistic person, and a sycophant - do you have any other labels to throw at people?

Tommy has become synonymous with people's perception of Axl's new band. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that point. And even if you do disagree with my choice of words, you're yet to make any productive point.

TOMMY IS GNR!!!

But to answer your surprise, yes, Tommy has been part of GNR for well over a decade. He has considerably more influence over Axl than any body else in the band. Using that fact, it's highly unlikely that they would debut a new song in his absence. What exactly is laughable about that observation?

An autistic person, and a sycophant - do you have any other labels to throw at people?

Tommy has become synonymous with people's perception of Axl's new band. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that point. And even if you do disagree with my choice of words, you're yet to make any productive point.

He has? How? What people?

Don't know why anybody would think there is a remote possibility of GNR performing new songs at a televised award ceremony (without the musician who has become quite synonymous with Axl's new band).

inb4twoorthreenewsongs

inigo-montoya.jpeg

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."

You keep using that meme, I do not think it memes what you think it memes

• Like 1

TOMMY IS GNR!!!

as much as i'm a fan of tommy's i don't think he's become synonymous with people's perception of the new band beyond the forums. at the end of the day not a lot of people still follow GN'R or even realize they're still around, much less with new bandmembers, so, for 99% of people who will watch the VH1 show, it won't matter who's there. nobody's gonna be like "wtf, where's stinson!!" apart from the small online community.

that said, of course he's not going to play any new songs.

as much as i'm a fan of tommy's i don't think he's become synonymous with people's perception of the new band beyond the forums. at the end of the day not a lot of people still follow GN'R or even realize they're still around, much less with new bandmembers, so, for 99% of people who will watch the VH1 show, it won't matter who's there. nobody's gonna be like "wtf, where's stinson!!" apart from the small online community.

Couldn't disagree more with your take on the identity of the new band. I think you're severely underestimating just how many people have bought tickets between 2001-2014 to see GNR. With the accessibility of the internet, people are researching things more than they ever have. Before they buy a ticket to a show, people like to find about more about what they're paying for. The last record the band put out. Who is in the band. How many shows they've played. How the shows are being recieved. How the band look and sound on YouTube. What songs do they play. Concert goers are a lot less ignorant of what they're going to see.

Unlike 2001, it's no longer a matter of 'That Izzy looking guy is a good guitarist'. It's more 'Oh yeah that's Richard Fortus, I just googled him a few days ago.' With respect, I think you're being delusional in terms of how significant we are to the GNR fanbase at large. A lot of fans may browse here every few weeks, but they have better things to be doing than voicing opinions the way we do.

We like to think that we are every modern GNR fan there is, but we're simply not.

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 2

After looking at the GG website it doesn't look like it's all that special. The awards section has pretty awful bands nominated. Not sure why GNR or Axl is being honored given they're more classic/hard rock as opposed to the other bands on the bill and the genre of other bands previously honored.

It looks like Axl is doing them the bigger favor by even attending. I can't imagine the publicity or demand would be all that great for this based on the rest of the acts.

Edited by hellobeatle

Couldn't disagree more with your take on the identity of the new band. I think you're severely underestimating just how many people have bought tickets between 2001-2014 to see GNR. With the accessibility of the internet, people are researching things more than they ever have. Before they buy a ticket to a show, people like to find about more about what they're paying for. The last record the band put out. Who is in the band. How many shows they've played. How the shows are being recieved. How the band look and sound on YouTube. What songs do they play. Concert goers are a lot less ignorant of what they're going to see.

Unlike 2001, it's no longer a matter of 'That Izzy looking guy is a good guitarist'. It's more 'Oh yeah that's Richard Fortus, I just googled him a few days ago.' With respect, I think you're being delusional in terms of how significant we are to the GNR fanbase at large. A lot of fans may browse here every few weeks, but they have better things to be doing than voicing opinions the way we do.

We like to think that we are every modern GNR fan there is, but we're simply not.

nah, mate...sorry, but nah.

and i say this as a huge fan of stinson's from the replacements days onwards.

if anything people were excited about the new lineup when it first came back, but these days most of what you'll find are snarky comments about how it's axl and some fill-ins. very few people outside these forums respect the current lineup as a unique entity, and in my years as a GN'R fan, i've never once held a conversation with a 'casual fan' and not had the whole "when is Slash coming back?" thing dropped in. most people just don't care about these guys because they never followed through on the early promise of becoming their own thing. they're touring playing a setlist comprised mostly of material they didn't even write, and songs that were hits in the '90s before they even joined the group. tommy is awesome, but this isn't a fact that is lost on him. i remember being really sad after listening to his interview with marc maron last year, because he made it pretty clear that he holds no pretensions about his place in the band, or that (in his own words) people go to see them for axl.

we all would have liked to have seen Axl's vision of the band establish itself and prove itself but outside of the bungled release of Chinese Democracy these guys were simply never given much to do on their own accord -- and even as it stands now, half the guys in the band weren't even responsible for writing or contributing very much to ChiDem.

• Like 3

if anything people were excited about the new lineup when it first came back, but these days most of what you'll find are snarky comments about how it's axl and some fill-ins. very few people outside these forums respect the current lineup as a unique entity, and in my years as a GN'R fan, i've never once held a conversation with a 'casual fan' and not had the whole "when is Slash coming back?" thing dropped in. most people just don't care about these guys because they never followed through on the early promise of becoming their own thing. they're touring playing a setlist comprised mostly of material they didn't even write, and songs that were hits in the '90s before they even joined the group. tommy is awesome, but this isn't a fact that is lost on him. i remember being really sad after listening to his interview with marc maron last year, because he made it pretty clear that he holds no pretensions about his place in the band, or that (in his own words) people go to see them for axl.

we all would have liked to have seen Axl's vision of the band establish itself and prove itself but outside of the bungled release of Chinese Democracy these guys were simply never given much to do on their own accord -- and even as it stands now, half the guys in the band weren't even responsible for writing or contributing very much to ChiDem.

I enjoy how passionately you write your posts, but in this case I think you're overdulging the melodrama of this board.

You say that very few people care about modern GNR, yet attendances everywhere except the US do not support your theory. The line-up has been performing for nigh-on 5 years - and the public at this point are very aware that the production does not feature Slash - yet GNR remain able to play venues which most rock acts aspire to play. Critics keep saying that the band should stop playing old GNR songs, which is totally ignorant of the reality that Axl was the driving force creatively. Why would he stop playing songs which give people so much joy? Others say that nobody gives a fuck about Chinese, yet they're conveniently quiet when people are audibly singing along to This I Love. They open 99.9% of the shows with the title-track from a record Axl supposedly wants to forget, again, how is that a logical conspiracy? They're a 'joke' to contemporary opinion, yet they can play a hipster event like Governors Ball without hitch. So you really cannot presume to know why Axl is able to keep touring - because the doom and gloom never adds up in the end.

And as a nit-picky point, most of the primary songwriters from Chinese Democracy (Axl, Tommy, Dizzy, Chris - Robin, Buckethead and Josh being the departed) remain part of the line-up.

• Like 1

I enjoy how passionately you write your posts, but in this case I think you're overdulging the melodrama of this board.

You say that very few people care about modern GNR, yet attendances everywhere except the US do not support your theory. The line-up has been performing for nigh-on 5 years - and the public at this point are very aware that the production does not feature Slash - yet GNR remain able to play venues which most rock acts aspire to play. Critics keep saying that the band should stop playing old GNR songs, which is totally ignorant of the reality that Axl was the driving force creatively. Why would he stop playing songs which give people so much joy? Others say that nobody gives a fuck about Chinese, yet they're conveniently quiet when people are audibly singing along to This I Love. They open 99.9% of the shows with the title-track from a record Axl supposedly wants to forget, again, how is that a logical conspiracy? They're a 'joke' to contemporary opinion, yet they can play a hipster event like Governors Ball without hitch. So you really cannot presume to know why Axl is able to keep touring - because the doom and gloom never adds up in the end.

And as a nit-picky point, most of the primary songwriters from Chinese Democracy (Axl, Tommy, Dizzy, Chris - Robin, Buckethead and Josh being the departed) remain part of the line-up.

People go to GNR concerts to see Axl.

• Like 1

Find me one, ONE person who answers "Tommy Stinson" when asked to name something about GNR. Or admit you have no idea what synonymous means.

People who buy tickets to see Guns N' Roses buy tickets to see Axl Rose and whoever his backing band is these days. I like Tommy, but if he left tomorrow and was replaced by "bass player X", it wouldn't matter one bit to the bottom line.

Find me one, ONE person who answers "Tommy Stinson" when asked to name something about GNR. Or admit you have no idea what synonymous means.

People who buy tickets to see Guns N' Roses buy tickets to see Axl Rose and whoever his backing band is these days. I like Tommy, but if he left tomorrow and was replaced by "bass player X", it wouldn't matter one bit to the bottom line.

What the fuck do you want me to do, get a camera and go out on the street?

Honestly, the way you go on, you would think that the couple of thousand people that go to a GNR show are all mentally retarded (and that we're the only people that actively use the internet). Yes they largely go to witness Axl perform, but this is a band that's been touring 5 years, more people can name names than you think.

What the fuck do you want me to do, get a camera and go out on the street?

Honestly, the way you go on, you would think that the couple of thousand people that go to a GNR show are all mentally retarded (and that we're the only people that actively use the internet). Yes they largely go to witness Axl perform, but this is a band that's been touring 5 years, more people can name names than you think.

Go out with a camera, take a survey, do whatever you want to do. Just show me some sort of indication beyond "because I say so".

To be fair most people have never heard of Tommy Stinson. The people at those shows in South America probably don't even really know the lineup, although a percentage of those fans probably know it better than let's say, American fans.

I don't think Tommy has anything to do with GN'R's identity, nowadays that is all Axl. The revolving door could keep revolving so long as Axl is still front and center.

The people at those shows in South America probably don't even really know the lineup, although a percentage of those fans probably know it better than let's say, American fans.

No kidding.

Most SA people don't know who's in the band and they don't really care as long as Axl is there. Oh, and of course, as long as they see "Guns N' Roses" printed on their tickets.

• Like 1