April 23rd, 2014 - Golden Gods - Los Angeles, CA - Axl receives "Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award"

Looks less like a kid calling out for attention when he doesn't wear that hat. Definitely a better style

Still not sure I'll ever like his guitar style though. His bends are too over the top and he needs to get a decent tube amp and go for a more straight up rock sound

Edited by rydog

nah, mate...sorry, but nah.

and i say this as a huge fan of stinson's from the replacements days onwards.

if anything people were excited about the new lineup when it first came back, but these days most of what you'll find are snarky comments about how it's axl and some fill-ins. very few people outside these forums respect the current lineup as a unique entity, and in my years as a GN'R fan, i've never once held a conversation with a 'casual fan' and not had the whole "when is Slash coming back?" thing dropped in. most people just don't care about these guys because they never followed through on the early promise of becoming their own thing. they're touring playing a setlist comprised mostly of material they didn't even write, and songs that were hits in the '90s before they even joined the group. tommy is awesome, but this isn't a fact that is lost on him. i remember being really sad after listening to his interview with marc maron last year, because he made it pretty clear that he holds no pretensions about his place in the band, or that (in his own words) people go to see them for axl.

we all would have liked to have seen Axl's vision of the band establish itself and prove itself but outside of the bungled release of Chinese Democracy these guys were simply never given much to do on their own accord -- and even as it stands now, half the guys in the band weren't even responsible for writing or contributing very much to ChiDem.

I enjoy how passionately you write your posts, but in this case I think you're overdulging the melodrama of this board.

You say that very few people care about modern GNR, yet attendances everywhere except the US do not support your theory. The line-up has been performing for nigh-on 5 years - and the public at this point are very aware that the production does not feature Slash - yet GNR remain able to play venues which most rock acts aspire to play. Critics keep saying that the band should stop playing old GNR songs, which is totally ignorant of the reality that Axl was the driving force creatively. Why would he stop playing songs which give people so much joy? Others say that nobody gives a fuck about Chinese, yet they're conveniently quiet when people are audibly singing along to This I Love. They open 99.9% of the shows with the title-track from a record Axl supposedly wants to forget, again, how is that a logical conspiracy? They're a 'joke' to contemporary opinion, yet they can play a hipster event like Governors Ball without hitch. So you really cannot presume to know why Axl is able to keep touring - because the doom and gloom never adds up in the end.

And as a nit-picky point, most of the primary songwriters from Chinese Democracy (Axl, Tommy, Dizzy, Chris - Robin, Buckethead and Josh being the departed) remain part of the line-up.

People go to GNR concerts to see Axl.
Exactly this ^^^^^ Decent attendances have absolutely nothing to do with Tommy, Bumble, DJ or any of the other hired hands. I'd bet right now that you could replace every single band member except for Axl and 95% of the ticket buying public wouldn't even notice. The other 5% just wouldn't give a shit. :shrugs:
  • Like 1

It might not have the mainstream profile the VMA's did but its a big enough 'award ceremony' within their genre to command a decent performance. Rock fans know about it, they will have a good few peers in the audience and i'd imagine the Duff factor will mean internet articles will be written. Its decent exposure all in.

He can still belt out Jungle with rasp so i expect that, Its So Easy he nails 'cos its in a range he can still hit, November Rain is do-able for him vocally too, the only one he may get found out on is Paradise.

I'm looking forward to it, Cagey presenting the award is fun, duff playing too is a nice addition. Just up to Axl to hit the notes he needs to and it should be a good evening.

• Like 1

I'm sorry if this has been asked already but I don't have time to look through the entire thread right now. Could someone from the US please record the live stream of this and then upload it for us non US fans? I'd really appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to do so. I really wanna see this.

• Like 3

I'm sorry if this has been asked already but I don't have time to look through the entire thread right now. Could someone from the US please record the live stream of this and then upload it for us non US fans? I'd really appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to do so. I really wanna see this.

This please ^

• Like 1

It's like being at a Manchester United message board and having all these fans there who bash the team constantly because they were "better before", like in 1999, or whatever. I stand up for the team. If you want me to not be serious meet me in 'Anythign Goes'. Here I am a fan of GN'R, past and present. ;)

• Like 1

It's like being at a Manchester United message board and having all these fans there who bash the team constantly because they were "better before", like in 1999, or whatever. I stand up for the team. If you want me to not be serious meet me in 'Anythign Goes'. Here I am a fan of GN'R, past and present. ;)

Too bad that sometimes this "band" or Axl doesn't deserve your loyality (which is fairly cool loyality if you ask me ;) )

Too bad that sometimes this "band" or Axl doesn't deserve your loyality (which is fairly cool loyality if you ask me ;) )

It's not really loyalty. I simply still enjoy the band.

Very good point, maynard, because rehearing is really important now just after the SA tour.

The whole band is rehearsing. And they ALL sound way better than Axl. Yup. Including DJ.

And guess what? They just ended a South American tour as well! Stupid professional musicians!