1 in 10 Americans think HTML is a sexually transmitted disease

Facekicker

If 1 in 10 Americans are to be believed, reading this web page will leave you in need of an urgent trip to the doctor's.

A recent study has found that many Americans are not up to speed on technical jargon, mistaking markup language used to created web pages with an STD.

Some 2,392 men and women aged 18 or older were presented with both tech and non-tech terms and asked to choose from three possible definitions, with respondents not being informed that it was their tech knowledge that was specifically being tested.

Other findings include:

15% thought 'software' is comfortable clothing

18% identified 'Blu-ray' as a marine animal

23% believe an 'MP3' to be a Star Wars robot

12% thought USB is an acronym for a European country

27% imagine a 'gigabyte' to be an insect found in South America

42% identified a 'motherboard' as the 'deck of a cruise ship'

The news comes after a National Science Foundation survey found that one in four Americans don't know the Earth orbits the Sun and only half believe in evolution.

In spite of the incorrect answers, 61% of the respondents in the Vouchercloud.net study said they believe it is important to have a good grasp of technology in this day and age.

932.gif

I'm surprised it's not higher. In fairness to Americans, I would wager that you'd get similar statistics from other Western countries. If you consider that a large percentage of any population is over the age of 50-60, you can't expect older citizens to know what HTML or a gigabyte are. Both of my parents are in their 60s and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know what half of these technology terms meant.

EDIT: didn't read the bottom paragraph. The fact that so many Americans don't know that the earth rotates around the sun is insane.

Edited by downzy
  • Like 1

Who keeps doing these surverys? Seems their only purpose is so people can feel oh so superior to those silly Americans. I'm assuming the questions are multiple choice because there's no way you get a result like "42% identified a 'motherboard' as the 'deck of a cruise ship'" otherwise.

Vouchercloud.net study

Oh. A voucher website harvesting traffic by stamping their name on a hilarious "study".

Edited by Nobodys_Fault

Guest Len B'stard

The insinuation with these things is that America is stupid but thats bollocks, it just means people ain't informed about stuff and the reason is that it has no functional practical function to their reality. Quite frankly if i was put to the test and really kinda explored I'd probably come up as pretty fuckin' stupid (i know, shock, horror right? :lol:) Like for instance, ask me how parliament works, the English government etc i have no fuckin' idea. I dunno who the chief whip is, i don't exactly know the function of pretty simple political entities, i just don't know and the reason i don't know is cuz why would I, where have I been or what act have i ever been engaged in that required a knowledge of that shit? Nothing. Ask me the price of petrol, even when I'm driving I never fucking knew. Also like, i can't budget, I see yous lot on here and you all work out budgets and you got this much coming in and this much going and you save this, that and the other, I can't do that, i wouldn't know where to start. Also, i can't cook a meal, never have, i can't like go out and go shopping and cook shit. I mean I'm sure I could I just never have, I've never been like…in a position where i needed to.

I could list things all fuckin' day and by the end of it you'd think I was a retard. Now i don't make claim to being the brightest of buttons but I ain't thick or anything, i don't think. Coalition government, again, thats something i don't understand, i don't understand how two people win an election, its either one or the other to my mind. A lot of you fascinate me with your knowledge and intellect and stuff, you really do, i'm always marvelling at how much shit you guys know about all manner of stuff.

Point being there's loads and loads of really seemingly obvious stuff that I'd freely admit to not knowing shit about and also I think people kid themselves into thinking that the population of England is. Pop down your nearest council estate and ask a bunch of lads 21 and under who Winston Churchill is, see the results, you'd be surprised.

• Like 1

Who keeps doing these surverys? Seems their only purpose is so people can feel oh so superior to those silly Americans.

Exactly. Why not tell the whole story?....like the one that states: As dumb as Americans are, they are apparently still smarter than Europeans...

......34% of European Union citizens do not know the Earth revolves around the sun....that would be 9% more than Americans.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/02/16/1-in-4-americans-thinks-sun-orbits-earth/

"Here’s the thing, though: Americans actually fared better than Europeans who took similar quizzes — at least when it came to the sun and Earth question. Only 66 percent of European Union residents answered that one correctly."

:lol:

Are you telling me those answers are wrong!? :wow:

Edited by Kasanova King

Guest Len B'stard

Are there ever surveys like this done in other countries?

That's right, nobody cares.

All eyes on US

Uh, yes they are and frequently :lol: Is that a serious question, do they have surveys in other countries?!?! :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Europe =/= European Union.

There's got to be a reason for the high percentage though.. In my country and the neighboring (EU) countries 99.9 people over 18 would know the Earth orbits the Sun. I would like to know how residents of each member Country of the EU answered the question and why so.. There's got to be a defining factor to this, as well as in US' case, which I don't believe to be lack of intelligence.. at least not genetically inherited. Not that that's the issue anyway rather than the level of wisdom.. but still..

Are you sure the the site can be relied to have gotten the results of the survey right though? They did write the Sun without the capital S and confused EU with Europe.. :shrugs:

I'm sure they did everything possible to skew the statistics to make people look "dumb".... both in the U.S. and Europe...that's the only way these surveys get any attention.

• Like 1

Exactly. Why not tell the whole story?....like the one that states: As dumb as Americans are, they are apparently still smarter than Europeans...

As a defiantly non European Englishman I agree wholeheartedly. Fuckin' Frogs and Krauts!!!! :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

As a defiantly non European Englishman I agree wholeheartedly. Fuckin' Frogs and Krauts!!!! :lol:

And spagnollis and brussell sprouts :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Are there ever surveys like this done in other countries?

That's right, nobody cares.

All eyes on US

Uh, yes they are and frequently :lol: Is that a serious question, do they have surveys in other countries?!?! :lol:

I think he was referring to surveys measuring general knowledge/wisdom.. Without the "like this" part in his question he'd have come off as an arrogant prick though.. :lol:

But they do have surveys like that all the time, bullshit like 'a survey of kids in the UK from 12 to 16 were asked to explain who Clint Eastwood was, 18% thought he was US President' and shit like that.

And I don't think they skew the surveys at all Kass, i just think we all collectively have a higher estimation of our national intellects.

Edited by sugaraylen

Tweeted by a British 20 year old girl: 'If barraco barner is our president why is he getting involved in Russia, scary'

Proof that people all around the world can be dumb. That's not an American privilege. I can tell you that without doing a survey. (Sorry, couldn't post the tweet.)

• Like 1

Tweeted by a British 20 year old girl: 'If barraco barner is our president why is he getting involved in Russia, scary'

Proof that people all around the world can be dumb. That's not an American privilege. I can tell you that without doing a survey. (Sorry, couldn't post the tweet.)

That could be a great name for wild west style hero, Barraco Barner (pronounced like Barracko, like barrack). Or a song? The Ballad of Barraco Barner.

I had not heard of this and just Googled it.

Absolutely. Fucking. Brilliant.