BREAKING: Mick Jagger girlfriend L'Wren Scott found hanged in her New York apartment

UK SUBS

It seemed more than warranted to me. Depression is the most insidious, manipulative disease imaginable, it turns your mind, thoughts and emotions against you. Anyone who manages to end their own life, which is an act that goes against our fundamental wiring for survival, is in the throes of a devestating mental illness at it's most severe. Not selfish, or ungrateful, etc.

Do you know me? If you read my posts, you would know that I don't need depression explained to me. It's not a disease, it's an affliction of developed conciousness. In other words, unlike terminal cancer, you don't have to suffer from it your entire life. It's something you can see through.

Point out where I described her as selfish or ungrateful. I merely said that I can't be overly sad for somebody that failed to put their problems in context. It's very tragic that she resorted to this, but when you make that fateful move, suddenly your body sees life from another perspective. Many people think that ending your own consciousness provides some sort of relief, but at that moment of the air leaving your lungs, you see your problems for what they are. Overcomable.

Anyway, I regret making a memorial thread about my own thoughts on suicide (celebrity suicide in particular).

Very sad. I hear what you're saying NGOG but serious depression is an illness and the mind doesn't work that way when in the thick of it. Assuming of course depression was the issue, I've not read any news stories.

I'm not foreign to the concept of depression Alf, I've had my fair share of it. But at no point during the sadness could I have justified killing myself.

Not only does it discard your potential as a human being, but it leaves everybody else with an eternal pain.

People with depression are horrible human beings.

I'm wondering if you gonna say that again when somebody close to you, your mother for example, suffers from a depression and she takes the decision to put an end on her life by burning herself alive. That's exactly what happens to my mother and i really hope that none of you have to experience that. It is easy to act tough when you are sitting behind a computer screen but the next time it is best to even think for a few seconds, whether it is smart to post such nonsense.

Jesus, I'm totally shocked. She made a great contribution to the fashion industry, had great style and sadly seems to have been struggling with finding her happiness. It's just a tragedy. :(

Quote from a month ago:

"I'm a fashion designer. I don't want to be defined as someone's girlfriend."

That's exactly how I viewed her. I was a fan of her design abilities way before I even knew that she was Mick's girlfriend. I actually didn't even care that she was Mick's girlfriend. I always loved her red carpet dresses. She'll be sadly missed by the fashion industry.

People with depression are horrible human beings.

Go eat a dick, Stalin.

That isn't his position on depression; it was just a poor way of implying that my post demonized people who suffer from depression. Given that I clearly expressed my own experiences with depression, that is obviously ridiculous.

I just hate the idea of "solving" depression through suicide. It's easy to accept its merits when you become embroiled in your own problems, but when you step outside your own body for a second, and look at the suffering going on everywhere, it puts your own trials in perspective.

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 1

It seemed more than warranted to me. Depression is the most insidious, manipulative disease imaginable, it turns your mind, thoughts and emotions against you. Anyone who manages to end their own life, which is an act that goes against our fundamental wiring for survival, is in the throes of a devestating mental illness at it's most severe. Not selfish, or ungrateful, etc.

Do you know me? If you read my posts, you would know that I don't need depression explained to me. It's not a disease, it's an affliction of developed conciousness. In other words, unlike terminal cancer, you don't have to suffer from it your entire life. It's something you can see through.

Sorry to say this but I think you do. If you think you think you can understand someone else from your own experiences about something like depression, that's a completely subjective experience, then you can't say you understand what it is.

I didn't say I could understand somebody else's mindset; I just said I don't need moralized about what depression entails (as if I have never experienced depression myself and am speaking naively).

I just hate the idea of "solving" depression through suicide. It's easy to accept its merits when you become embroiled in your own problems, but when you step outside your own body for a second, and look at the suffering going on everywhere, it's put your own trials in perspective.

I agree with what you say except assuming everyone could make that step. I suppose we all hope all suicidal people could. Unfortunately not everyone can.

That's because instead of being provided with a forum to air their complexities - i.e. to a psychologist that isn't motivated by money, or a support group led by somebody with experience - they're put on antidepressants. I've never had any personal experience with them, but they are fucking people up on a daily basis.

If there's one thing I'm medically certain of; never imbalance the chemicals in your head.

Edited by NGOG

Sorry to say this but I think you do. If you think you think you can understand someone else from your own experiences about something like depression, that's a completely subjective experience, then you can't say you understand what it is.
I didn't say I could understand somebody else's mindset; I just said I don't need moralized about what depression entails (as if I have never experienced depression myself and am speaking naively).

That's actually how it comes across. It's great that you've got perspective, keep patting yourself on the back for it and wondering why all those depressed folk can't see the world like you do.

• Like 2

That's actually how it comes across. It's great that you've got perspective, keep patting yourself on the back for it and wondering why all those depressed folk can't see the world like you do.

Obviously you resent my arguments, but anybody is capable of getting out of their mental rut. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's very possible. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear - but I'm not going to pretend there's nothing in life worth getting up in the morning for. Or that you should approach depression as a permanent diagnosis.

Edited by NGOG

Perhaps, NGOG, you'll want to have a little more life experience before you go making blanket statements about everyone who has ever suffered depression. You're what, 19 or 20 years old? Isn't is just possible that some of us have a bit more experience in life than you do? You kind of come off as a full order of hipster with a side of uninformed condemnation.

• Like 1

Perhaps, NGOG, you'll want to have a little more life experience before you go making blanket statements about everyone who has ever suffered depression.

Which blanket statement?

I resent your ageist notion that only middle-aged people can say they have experienced depression.

Edited by NGOG

Perhaps, NGOG, you'll want to have a little more life experience before you go making blanket statements about everyone who has ever suffered depression. You're what, 19 or 20 years old? Isn't is just possible that some of us have a bit more experience in life than you do? You kind of come off as a full order of hipster with a side of uninformed condemnation.

Dr NGOG knows best.

Alright, can't blame you on that then :)

That's because instead of being provided with a forum to air their complexities - i.e. to a psychologist that isn't motivated by money, or a support group led by somebody with experience - they're put on antidepressants. I've never had any personal experience with them, but they are fucking people up on a daily basis.

If there's one thing I'm medically certain of; never imbalance the chemicals in your head.

I agree with you on this, to a certain extent.. I believe in an extreme case, especially when someone's borderline psychotic and just tries to kill them self all the time with anything, an antidepressant treatment may be help. There are studies to which I base this view on.

Depression and psychosis are two entirely different areas of mental health; obviously they should be approached differently.

Perhaps, NGOG, you'll want to have a little more life experience before you go making blanket statements about everyone who has ever suffered depression.

Which blanket statement?

I resent your ageist notion that only middle-aged people can say they have experienced depression.

You have gone on and on with your righteous condemnation of people who chose to attempt to or successfully commit suicide. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before passing judgement on their actions. I didn't say a thing about middle-aged people, as I am not yet close to being middle-aged myself. I think you are young and naive to think everything is cut and dry. Some people can't just deal with it.

Dr NGOG knows best.

Dr+Christian+Jessen.jpg

Guest Len B'stard

Which blanket statement?

You have gone on and on with your righteous condemnation of people who chose to attempt to or successfully commit suicide. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before passing judgement on their actions. I didn't say a thing about middle-aged people, as I am not yet close to being middle-aged myself. I think you are young and naive to think everything is cut and dry. Some people can't just deal with it.

I think of him more as a hard-nosed Irish shit-kicker that sees life for the routinely beautiful series of cycles that it is. He might sound a bit unforgiving in his assessment but what he is saying is fundamentally accurate.

Which blanket statement?

I think of him more as a hard-nosed Irish shit-kicker that sees life for the routinely beautiful series of cycles that it is. He might sound a bit unforgiving in his assessment but what he is saying is fundamentally accurate.
In a perfect world, sure. But this isn't Utopia. Life is a series of events that may be good and may be bad. Tell a homeless vet with debilitating PTSD that he should just get over it. Sometimes, the weight of the world is too heavy for you to get off your knees. My heart goes out to those people. I am thankful that I have risen from the ashes as many times as I have but not everyone is a stubborn as I am.
  • Like 2