Bumblefoot Guitar Workshop (Perfect Crime, TWAT, Sorry...)

Seems kind of weak that it's his workshop and he's playing Slash's riffs. This seems different and more poser-like than playing them for Axl. At least on stage he's doing it at Axl's request.

Seems kind of weak for you to be criticizing the guy when he was obviously playing GN'R fan requests, seeing as he is in GN'R ya know....

Perfect Crime has long been rumored to be in the set list, and I think it's great we get to hear Bumble's interpretation of it.

Seems kind of weak that it's his workshop and he's playing Slash's riffs. This seems different and more poser-like than playing them for Axl. At least on stage he's doing it at Axl's request.

Well, he only did that as the fans requested. Everything GNR related he played on his workshop was played because the fans asked. What was he to do, say no? He's not a douchebag...

At his workshop in Curitiba, as soon as they opened the mic for questions by the public, I raised my hand and asked about the song, that had appeared on setlists in the past, and if they really rehearsed it. He said they did rehearsed the song in 2006, while robin was in the band.

Then he started to play it!

What is the title?

They seem to try to play songs during rehearsals in hopes of Axl agreeing to do them and never does. He seemed to make it sound like they had to know all the GNR songs, but when it comes to rehearsing for the tour, they have x amount of songs to work with. As much as I'd love to see them really fuck with the setlist for the upcoming Vegas shows, after last time, doubting it.

it's sad that we haven't heard this guy get to play on any original material in the last few years. just listening to him improvise during those familiar tunes, you realize what creativity he must have brimming, and what he could do with GN'R - even if not all of it is what people want or expect, maybe it would be a little more technical-sounding than I'm usually inclined to enjoy, but it'd be better than hearing him play Jungle for the millionth time, and I imagine he must kind of feel the same way. EDIT: Not that I'm talking shit on Jungle or the fact that the band is touring or anything. I'm just saying it'd be nice to hear him do something fresh, in addition to that.

it's sad that we haven't heard this guy get to play on any original material in the last few years. just listening to him improvise during those familiar tunes, you realize what creativity he must have brimming, and what he could do with GN'R - even if not all of it is what people want or expect, maybe it would be a little more technical-sounding than I'm usually inclined to enjoy, but it'd be better than hearing him play Jungle for the millionth time, and I imagine he must kind of feel the same way. EDIT: Not that I'm talking shit on Jungle or the fact that the band is touring or anything. I'm just saying it'd be nice to hear him do something fresh, in addition to that.

I also can't think of anyone else who could fill Bucket's shoes like him.

• 2 weeks later...

Once you reach virtuoso status like bumble is, it's almost like something happens to where you can't write good songs. Eddie Van Halen is about one of just a few that pulled it off.

So they join already established bands and add crazy licks to what's already there.

He also seems to be able to play both rhythm and lead at the same time. His Don't Dry was awesome. I'm sure given some decent musicians to work around he could contribute something fierce, but let's play Appetite for the umphundredth time in a row and make more cash off of South America.

Can't think of a better or more generous guitar player active today, the fact that he's doing these workshops and basically taking audience requests and even have them sing along is amazing. I don't think his potential is being wasted by being in GnR, he's pretty active outside of the band. But yes, you can't help but wonder what could have been!

Once you reach virtuoso status like bumble is, it's almost like something happens to where you can't write good songs. Eddie Van Halen is about one of just a few that pulled it off.

So they join already established bands and add crazy licks to what's already there.

True in some cases, but not for Bumble. Bumble is well fit to write great songs, in many different styles... not just shred. For someone to limit his playing to just "crazy licks" or whatever other veiled insult shows me they haven't actually listened to his material. His old stuff is awful shred with some variation... his later material is punky or hard rock/metal with some very tasteful playing and some awol craziness! the later songs can be really catchy and concise... catchy and concise, two things the majority of CD was not and I love that album but it's not a friendly record (dark and broody). 
Bumble is a fantastic musician, to write someone off because they actually took the time to learn their craft inside and out is truly ignorant.

Awesome version of Sorry

That's sad. This guy can play anything and Axl makes him play the same shit for 8 years straight.

Exactly, we have one (very good for me) album and all these musicians and Axl's talent... it's like when a football team stockpiles and ruins young players so other teams can't have them.

Another bump, but really... how much better would Patience sound without Ashba? This is Ron playing the song with a fan - he's playing the studio version - studio solo included! - and whatever he's playing sounds a million time better than Ashba's pathetic attempt at the whole lead/solo.

Why DJ, Axl, why? :huh:

• Like 1