horror movie suggestions

acidcock27

I agree with everyone's picks, but I'd also add:

The Howling

Silver Bullet

Fright Night 1 and 2 (originals not remakes)

Night of the demons 1 and 2 (originals also, not remakes)

Amityville horror 2 the possesion (original not remake)

Hellraiser 1 and 2

House of 1000 corpses

Devil's rejects

Candyman

Pumpkinhead

Insiduous 1 was great 2 was ok

IT

Poltergeist 1,2,3

when a stranger calls (original)

freaks

suspiria

an american werewolf in london

the thing

audition

the vanishing (original)

phantasm

phantasm 2

re-animator

the house of the devil

eraserhead

behind the mask:the rise of leslie vernon

maniac (original AND the remake)

motel hell

twitch of the death nerve

pieces

You have some good taste in horror man. Have you seen the oroginal sequal to When a stranger calls? I think it's called When a stranger calls back? That film really freaked me the fuck out when I saw it for the first time. I actually saw the sequal before I saw the original, so that one is a little freakier than the original, for me anyways. :) Scream was a total rip off of those movies...

the first night of the demons scared the fuck out of me back then...really good pick

the first 2 hellraisers are classics but then the series took a nose dive--there's gotta be close to 10 of them now

is amityville 2 the one with paulie from the rocky movies?

and i love rob zombie's films...i'm a huge fan of the original halloween and halloween 2 and i'm in the minority(i think) on also liking the rob zombie halloween films...the second zombie halloween i really liked...it wasn't a remake of the original sequel, it was his own vision and it was incredibly violent...none of the usual "let's see how many different ways to kill someone or how many different weapons to use"...it was just myers stabbing the fuck out of people, a lot

I think there are certain like...psychological thrillers and that that serve the function of a horror film better than horror films. I mean you can't really call something like Salo a horror film in the typical sense of the word but it serves it's function better than most. Or something like Straw Dogs or Deliverance.

I haven't seen Salo or Straw Dogs but great point, Deliverance is horrifying alright, and not because of the "pig" scene either.

Zombie's films are woeful: you surely cannot recommend these dreadful films to somebody? Halloween 2 is particularly stinky whereas House of a 1000 Corpses is a barely competent Chainsaw Massacre rip!

ok

I think there are certain like...psychological thrillers and that that serve the function of a horror film better than horror films. I mean you can't really call something like Salo a horror film in the typical sense of the word but it serves it's function better than most. Or something like Straw Dogs or Deliverance.

I haven't seen Salo or Straw Dogs but great point, Deliverance is horrifying alright, and not because of the "pig" scene either.

Salo is right up your alley...trust me!

Zombie's films are woeful: you surely cannot recommend these dreadful films to somebody? Halloween 2 is particularly stinky whereas House of a 1000 Corpses is a barely competent Chainsaw Massacre rip!

ok

I only mention this because the original poster wants ‘horror’ recommendations, and here you are recommending, excrement. It would be the equivalent of somebody saying, 'can you chaps recommend me some music' and being supplied with some Bieber songs.

ok

I only mention this because the original poster wants ‘horror’ recommendations, and here you are recommending, excrement. It would be the equivalent of somebody saying, 'can you chaps recommend me some music' and being supplied with some Bieber songs.

ok

• Like 1

The Howling

Silver Bullet

Hellraiser 1 and 2

House of 1000 corpses

Devil's rejects

Candyman

Pumpkinhead

IT

Poltergeist 1,2,3

freaks

suspiria

the thing

audition

the vanishing (original)

phantasm

phantasm 2

re-animator

the house of the devil

eraserhead

motel hell

pieces

You have some good taste in horror man. Have you seen the oroginal sequal to When a stranger calls? I think it's called When a stranger calls back? That film really freaked me the fuck out when I saw it for the first time. I actually saw the sequal before I saw the original, so that one is a little freakier than the original, for me anyways. :) Scream was a total rip off of those movies...

yeah, when a stranger calls back was good! it was with that guy that could camouflage himself right? that one scene when he's in the room the whole time with the girl but he's camouflaged into the brick work? that was a cool/freaky scene

Ya the camo guy, he could also "throw" his voice so it was like he was coming from everywhere. The first 30 mins or so of that film scared me shitless when I was a kid. Then when I saw Scream for the first time (I was in in high school when it came out), it completly reminded me of When a stranger calls back, I hadn't even thought about that movie in years. But ya that film has a spot in the horror hall of fame for me anyways.

I'm split on Rob Zombies stuff, I really like house and devils rejects, but his halloweens kinda piss me off. The Halloween films are in my big 4 if you will (freddy, jason, evil dead, michael meyers). Something about zombie's Halloween's just feel like a bad imitation version, NUHalloween if you will. They lack the charm or magic of the classics. But overall I like what Rob Zombie brings to the genre, so carry on.

BTW I highly recommend The Howling and Night of the demons to anyone who hasn't seen them. I love American werewolf in london, but The Howling has a little more evil and sinister to it. Still the scariest werewolf ever seen in cinima imo. Great film, but horrible series, just dreadful.

Edited by Mike420

The Howling

Silver Bullet

Hellraiser 1 and 2

House of 1000 corpses

Devil's rejects

Candyman

Pumpkinhead

IT

Poltergeist 1,2,3

freaks

suspiria

the thing

audition

the vanishing (original)

phantasm

phantasm 2

re-animator

the house of the devil

eraserhead

motel hell

pieces

Some great taste there Mike. Have to agree on the original Fright Night movies. Fucking great films! :thumbsup: Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

@ Dazey,

Thanks. I used to be a pretty big horror buff, couldn't get enough of them. As I said before; Freddy, Jason, Michael Meyers, and Ash are my big 4, but if it's from 70's, 80's, and even 90's I'll give it a try. However modern horror is really starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth. All these remakes suck fucking monkey balls. The TCM one's were pretty good, but once they did Freddy and Jason I really started to get pissy. Honestly I don't mind the F13th remake, but it just doesn't have that "feel" of the old films if you know what I mean? I would have prefered another sequel honestly. The Freddy remake was just plain garbage. The answer to the question "What ANOES film is worse than Part 5 The Dream Child?" Answer, the fucking God awful remake. But beyond all the remake's, I don't know about you all, but I am sick of freaking exorcism/possesion/haunted house movies. It's like they are pretty much the same. Sure some are better than others, but give them a rest. It's like modern horror can be described the following ways 1. remakes 2. possesion films. I'm just ready for something different...

On a different note though, I am hopeful/excited about a possible return for Ash in the Evil Dead films. Rumors say they are going to do a sequel to the Evil Dead remake, then Army of darkness 2, then have both hero's from the series show up together in one final film. I would love to see some more Ash, so I'm excited about that rumor. The Evil Dead remake wasn't awful either, 6/10. But again those 3 originals are classics and untouchable imo.

Edited by Mike420

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

haxan3.jpg

Häxan (English title: The Witches or Witchcraft Through the Ages) is a 1922 Swedish-Danish silent film written and directed by Benjamin Christensen. Based partly on Christensen's study of the Malleus Maleficarum, a 15th-century German guide for inquisitors, Häxan is a study of how superstition and the misunderstanding of diseases and mental illness could lead to the hysteria of the witch-hunts. The film was made as a documentary but contains dramatised sequences that are comparable to horror films.

With Christensen's meticulous recreation of medieval scenes and the lengthy production period, the film was the most expensive Scandinavian silent film ever made, costing nearly two million Swedish kronor. Although it won acclaim in Denmark and Sweden, the film was banned in the United States and heavily censored in other countries for what were considered at that time graphic depictions of torture, nudity, and sexual perversion.

Edited by supercool

The conjuring

Psycho (1960 with Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh

Annabelle

The Birds

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

The Blob (original with Steve McQueen)

Black Sunday (Barbara Steele)

The Ring

Halloween (original John Carpenter)

Halloween 2

Prince of Darkness

The Ward

Evil Dead (original one)

Army of Darkness

Wishmaster

Puppet Master

Friday the 13 the TV series

Hatchett 1, 2 and 3

Frozen (Adam Green director)

The Exorcist

So many to choose from. Horror is my favorite type of movie, so I must have seen thousands of movies since I was a kid. Loved the old movies from the 30's like Dracula, Frankenstein and the Wolfman too

Alot of these fall into the "extreme horror" genre. A good chunk of these are not in English

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

Audition

Fetus

The Gateway Meat

Cannibal Holocaust

A Serbian Film

The Angel's Melancholy

Centapide Horror

Deadgirl

Pig Chicken Suicide

Tokyo Gore Polica

Lolita Vibrator Torture